Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th May 2005, 23:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which means 350 bhp is doable
Nodoubt its doable but, is it useable on a road going Octavia? We're talking drivetrain, transmission, clutch etc.

Moreover, we're forgeting the fact that this isn't even a 2ltr engine but a 1.8ltr. That's 194.44 bhp/ltr.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th May 2005 at 23:53.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 08:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think it would have been better if it were a 350 bhp rear drive car.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 11:52   #18
BHPian

350+ Bhp front wheel drive Octavia is more than just possible . there are a few examples in the UK. lighweight flywheel , uprated clutch remaped ecu and 30psi+ are the key ingredients for acceleration . six pot brembo's for retardation .

forgot to mention the racelogic traction control with launch control !

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 28th May 2005 at 11:54.
Mad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 12:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

350 bhp from a skoda in india!!!!
will need to see it to believe it.
have not heard of a skoda more than 250bhp on the street.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 13:20   #20
BANNED

Ok so let's see pics...
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 19:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.......I dont have pic ....if i have i dont post it here because i recived complaint on pic of TC ford mondeo.
GRRR... whoever complained let me know, i have my baseball bat with me.

now coming to the topic, ECR stands for East Coast Road. this is the biggest asset for any chennaiite. its the coastal beachway....full of smooth tarmac, amazing corners and twisties.
its a dream to drive with a fast car.

a bigger turbo gives 200 bhp more....it'll take more than that to convince me.
these guys must be having stage1 mods with a bigger turbo.

only a stage3 modded octi can be on par with its WRC sibling.

2) how do these guys calculate bhp?? with their astrologer?

and best of all, if there's a 350 bhp octi in chennai, the news would have been in my ears even while they were building it.

so, i feel its 99.9% not true.

PS:mahi, do u wanna race ur RS with Sideways' mivec lancer??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 11:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

A 350bhp from a 1.8T is definitely do-able in india if u got the moolah! infact i am planning something on those lines as well with the red one (the pics i posted in another thread), but we are aiming more at 250bhp as of now, I have been in touch with a few tuning places in europe who are running 400+ bhp on octavias (without awd). Anything beyond 250 needs racing clutches and upgraded differentials and flywheels (the costing is very very massive believe me). Exciting eh?

Cheers~
Arush
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 13:52   #23
BHPian

Arush, you have gotta post engine pics and the rest of the car pics once you're done with the modded Octy. 250BHP is definitely more than enough on these roads - I can't think of any place in the counrty that you could use that much power, forget 350BHP. Plus, won't you have to slow down tremendously to take a turn - in efffect losing out the entire driving experience...??
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 14:15   #24
BANNED

Well it is possible on an Octy but then will surely have to upgrade many of its parts. But turbo wont produce more then 200BHP in a RS. SO how do you get to the 350BHP mark??
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 17:38   #25
BHPian

Hi,I think nitrous is right guy to get detailed info of the car i seen the car at MGM carpark....But no words to explain that car 19"BBS Alloy....KW V3 coilover....Big exhaust etc but no body kit or spoiler
mahi0375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 17:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
A 350bhp from a 1.8T is definitely do-able in india if u got the moolah! infact i am planning something on those lines as well with the red one (the pics i posted in another thread), but we are aiming more at 250bhp as of now, I have been in touch with a few tuning places in europe who are running 400+ bhp on octavias (without awd). Anything beyond 250 needs racing clutches and upgraded differentials and flywheels (the costing is very very massive believe me). Exciting eh?

Cheers~
Arush
In Europe???any websites???How you guys bring the goods from europe???will you pay customes duty???
mahi0375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 17:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that car 19"BBS Alloy
mahi, u know whom to ask ....if its got bbs alloys, try to get some info. from pj.

btw, if u're serious into modding ur RS ...contact me,i can help u out. success guaranteed.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 18:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Point I'm trying to make is that these cars use a large amount of stock parts unlike DTM cars which are out and out racemachines painted to look like their production brethern....which means 350 bhp is doable.
Well, you are partially correct here. However the resemblance to stock engines and cars stops with the basic look. I can assure you that the block used in WRC cars is not the same which comes with the car as sold out of a show room. The bodywork which looks like a street car is not made of the same metal as the car sold. Its basically a marketing ploy as people like to see cars that resemble the cars they can buy in a showroom. So it only makes sense for manufacturers to build 'em like that. If you want real production based rallying, look lower down the grid at the Group N cars. Now those are truly production spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Marcus Grunhom and Harrie Rovenperas' Peugeots were disqualified in last year' Cyprus rally? because they cars did'nt have certain production parts.
Nope, they got excluded because their homologation form stated that the water pump was plastic and they had metal ones on (or vice-versa, can't remember right now). Nothing to do with production parts.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 21:21   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
Well it is possible on an Octy but then will surely have to upgrade many of its parts. But turbo wont produce more then 200BHP in a RS. SO how do you get to the 350BHP mark??
First gen Audi TT had the same 1.8 turbo engine and kicked out ~220hp. So 220 is possible with just stock components. Check out some Golf Gti sites...same engine crazy power figures.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 21:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Well, you are partially correct here. However the resemblance to stock engines and cars stops with the basic look. I can assure you that the block used in WRC cars is not the same which comes with the car as sold out of a show room. Nope, they got excluded because their homologation form stated that the water pump was plastic and they had metal ones on (or vice-versa, can't remember right now). Nothing to do with production parts.
The impeller was found to be plastic and it was'nt homologated. To be homologated they have to sell 2500 cars.....so in a way its limited production.....same story with the engine block.
This is a grey area and its difficult to argue which parts are stock and which arent. The point I'm trying to make is that compared to DTM and NASCAR which are CF/tube-framed, V8 RWDs with no relationship to a production car.........WRC cars DO share a lot of the basic components. Of course, like you mentioned, the GroupNs share a lot more.

There used to be a Group B rallying in the 70s (lancia Strators) which was similar to DTM. Both the EVO as well as the Sti came out initially as homologation specials and continued into long term production due to popular demand.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote