Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 01:50   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Awesome build Karan!!

1 Question, If you can bring down the weight of the space frame by using thin guage pipes then would a 1.0L motorcycle engine work ?? I guess it should as they have amazing power to weight ratios...whats your take on it ??

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2009 at 15:42. Reason: wat = what. Please type in full words and avoidSMS language as per the Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 13:29   #47
BHPian
 
KS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Awesome build Karan!!

1 Question, If you can bring down the weight of the space frame by using thin guage pipes then would a 1.0L motorcycle engine work ?? I guess it should as they have amazing power to weight ratios...whats your take on it ??
yes,then weight can be reduced by using thiner gauge pipes and sheets.
the bigger the engine,better the weight ratio....not1.0l but a 1.8 or 2.0 is still required

KS
KS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 02:47   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Dont forget the weight of the motor itself Sir, most modren SBK engines have been made as light as possible and still pump out close to a 180hp (Torque levels are lower) . But you are the Man. so I wont argue more

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 19th June 2009 at 02:50.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 07:54   #49
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

hey! that is pretty awesome ride,and must be a fun car to drive around,isnt it.?
what i was wanting to ask was how to or where to get steel tubing bend for use in the chasis.you must have done it a lot to get that beautiful chassis. let me know the process.thanks!
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 20:25   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet E.A.R.T.H.
Posts: 140
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

@KS Motorsport

Wow! That's really nice dude! Really good work.

In College, 4 of us'd built one of those Formula student thingies. We had to work on it ourselves, and I know how difficult it is to get the Chassis spot on. We had to do the bending and welding ourselves, and it was a real head-ache to get it right, we diodn't have any CNC either, we used to cut it as clase as possible, and then grind it for hours till we got it perfect. Welding was another tough job, and the worst part is the deformation due to the heat (and stresses) produced. The number of chassis we had to wreck and start over is not funny.. got it right in the end though..

It was close to 250 Kgs and has a CBR600RR engine.. quite peppy, unfortunayely haven't had the chance to drive it as yet as we blew the clutch and haven't bothered fixing it as yet. For the suspension, we use the rear suspension from the Yamaha R1.

Will get down to reveiving it someday when life gets a little saner.
'72 Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:56   #51
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,610 Times
Default

Hey,

Is there another one of these being worked on at the moment? I saw one on the road a few weekends back, only got a quick glance - seemed like a work-in-progress.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:32   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
The number of chassis we had to wreck and start over is not funny.. got it right in the end though..
We made our rear section a full 4 times to get it right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
For the suspension, we use the rear suspension from the Yamaha R1.
How? If you mean the shock absorber assembly, the spring rates are way off the scale. Considering your car weighed about a 100 kgs less than our's. And the damper assembly weighs a ton. Did you guys pull off 250 kgs with every thing? Would love to see some pictures.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:28   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet E.A.R.T.H.
Posts: 140
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Hey ported head,

Will try getting pictures and everything and start a thread soon.. You can have a look at it on youtube. Just type in 'My Formula Car', and you'll see a news report on it.
'72 Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,970
Thanked: 4,935 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey,

Is there another one of these being worked on at the moment? I saw one on the road a few weekends back, only got a quick glance - seemed like a work-in-progress.

cya
R
Yeah, i saw one too the other day zipping by at altamont road going towards carmichael rd...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:55   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Doubt it. Must be Mihir Dharkar's next project or something
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 22:26   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
Hey ported head,

Will try getting pictures and everything and start a thread soon.. You can have a look at it on youtube. Just type in 'My Formula Car', and you'll see a news report on it.
Just saw the video. I remember you guys, the first Indian FSAE car I ever saw on TV. You guys built it at Electra Performance, didn't you? Must be nice to have so much motorsport support around you. Though it wasn't too clear in the video, were the shock absorbers off the R1, or what they use on FISSMEs and the Formula LGB cars?

We are seriously OT here though, lets take it to some other thread.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 22:45   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
In College, 4 of us'd built one of those Formula student thingies. We had to work on it ourselves, and I know how difficult it is to get the Chassis spot on. We had to do the bending and welding ourselves, and it was a real head-ache to get it right, we diodn't have any CNC either, we used to cut it as clase as possible, and then grind it for hours till we got it perfect. Welding was another tough job, and the worst part is the deformation due to the heat (and stresses) produced. The number of chassis we had to wreck and start over is not funny.. got it right in the end though..

It was close to 250 Kgs and has a CBR600RR engine.. quite peppy, unfortunayely haven't had the chance to drive it as yet as we blew the clutch and haven't bothered fixing it as yet. For the suspension, we use the rear suspension from the Yamaha R1.

Will get down to reveiving it someday when life gets a little saner.
I remember something similar from my college PESIT in bangalore. Is this the same?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 12:31   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Planet E.A.R.T.H.
Posts: 140
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

@ ported_head & vid6639

Yeah, we did it at Electra. We fabricated the chassis at a metal workshop 100 mts down the road from electra, then carried it over to electra for the rest of the work. We were extremely lucky to have Mr Kamlesh Patel and Mr. Krupesh Patel guiding us. Vid6639, this was from HCE, Chennai.. we were in touch with the guys from bangalore as well during the time, they were working on a similar project.

This is definitely OT, will start a thread on this soon, when I get pictures and everything. Right now the car's just lying around with a burnt clutch etc. etc. will also have to get down to getting it working. With a few modifications to the Chassis and suspension, it would probably make a good buggy more like a light sand-rail though.
'72 Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 19:02   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Well karan Congratulations.This car looks damn cool and i'm sure the amount of effort,time and money you guys have put into it,it has come out like a superb car at the end of it.Hope to see it up front some day.By the way what is the next project?please give details and if you have already started please do shar ewith us.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:01   #60
BHPian
 
rajatsingh78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Agra/Ghaziabad
Posts: 291
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Hey RS, marvelous piece of automotive art, as I would call it, there. However, I think even with the windscreen, mud flaps, number plate etc, I don't think this would be street legal. Cops would love it, only until, god forbids, until anything untoward happens. Because when anything major happens the cops would try to match each and every detail with your RC book. I think this can be made 100% legal after getting its certified by ARAI, Pune.

Anyways thrills like these come with its own dangers..enjoy the ride
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repairing a battery-operated Remote Controlled AWD Buggy? ssjr0498 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11 10th October 2014 17:06
Peugeot's Paris Dakar contender, the 2008 DKR buggy (2wd) AyAn! Int'l Motorsport 2 16th April 2014 09:47
Rage Motorsport Cyclone (70 BHP Buggy) : Driven Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 29 28th February 2014 23:19
Dune Drive in Dubai r_nairtvm 4x4 Excursions 4 6th March 2010 18:17
Dune Bashing in Dubai randeep04 Travelogues 5 3rd December 2008 17:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks