Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 8th May 2009, 20:31   #1

Default Rear Power Window issue in My Baleno

Hi,

Last week I took my family out to Kabini & Nagerhole for some fun over the long weekend. However, on our way back, we found that the rear left window has not been rolling down even as you press the button. I love my car very much, and to see this happen, almost spoiled my trip. Anyway, I decided to look at it once I was back home.

When we got back home, I inspected the part once again and realised that the glass was indeed going down, but was making a screeching noise as it did, and did not go down all the way. The very next morning, I took it to Mandovi.

The service guy at Mandovi looked at it (briefly first, and in detail once I gave them a piece of my mind about the service quality) and said that I'd have to change the complete mechanism for that one door and it would cost me about Rs.11,000 !!!!

What I need is some advise as to whether its possible for me to use any other cheaper parts to replace the damaged window mechanism?

Also, it would be good to know if there is someone on this forum or around Bangalore who could change the cable for me in the window mechanism. Apparently the motor is all good, and all that is spoiled is the cable that runs through the motor and pulls the window down.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!
sirajma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 00:37   #2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajma View Post
Also, it would be good to know if there is someone on this forum or around Bangalore who could change the cable for me in the window mechanism. Apparently the motor is all good, and all that is spoiled is the cable that runs through the motor and pulls the window down.

Any thoughts anyone?
Get it checked thoroughly.
I had a similar problem once and it was due to dust and a piece of paper obstructing the roller.
Kanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 10:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get a second opinion ouside, sometimes replacement is not necessary.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the motor is fine, replace only the channels. Get the motor checked outside. There are plenty of auto electrical guys. Worse comes to worse, even if the motor has conked, get an after market motor. Works out much cheaper.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

As people say, you can try and get it fixed elsewhere. But more often than not, it will fail again.. as it happened in my case. Finally got it replaced (Maruti non-dealer A.S.S) and the bill did come to around 10k. So Mandovi isn't overcharging.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 14:27   #6
BHPian

11k? For a single motor? It was my belief after market power window kits are in around the 15k figure. And this being for all 4 doors.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
11k? For a single motor?
Yep. The Baleno power window assembly costs 10-11K each.

Changing OEM rubber channels is also expensive. A friend was quoted around 4Kish for each door. In general plastic/rubber SGP's are still expensive.

Normally a good dose of WD-40 on the channels sort out smoothness of operation.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 17:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

do not use WD40 or similar lubricants in power window channel. it might be quick solution if window is getting jammed but it will destroy the track material and you will have to change it very soon. there is no roll back in it. if motor is running the cable can be replaced.cost 700 in mumbai at local electrian. if motor has failed( very rare) it is rewound for 1k. if its problem with the track material there is a local material available for 400 per door which is having velvet type material. the original rubber beading was about 2k per door.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 17:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

the price quoted looks reasonable from an Authorized service center.

However do make sure that it really requires comepte replecement.

Usually these service center ppl try to make money by replacing - whereas repairing can solve most of the problem.

Get it checked at a trusted mechanic.
infact for power windows, get it checked by a decent roadside mechanic. there is no hi-tech involved in its operation.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 15:08   #10

woah! ... i wasn't aware that so many people were responding to my query. i was waiting for an alert from the forum but that did not seem to come through till yesterday..

anyway.. thank you very much all for the suggestions. I stay near the old airport road in Bangalore.. does anyone know of good mechanics around that area whom I could take my car to?

Also, I have seen the cable & motor mechanism for the door. I too expected that the situation could have been caused by some dust or random particles jamming the groove, however to my dismay it seems to be caused by the cable itself cutting out.. (i.e., the cable is made of many smaller cables isn't it, and a few of them have given out...). i think what will be needed would be to replace the cable...

any recommendations for good mechanics will be really appreciated...
sirajma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sirajma,Nothing to get so anxious buddie,You have people from all over the world here to help you out,lolz.Get the car to mandovi,then have a chat with the service advisor and you can always suggest to get the system cleaned and you can also see it done personally.Tell him that if it dint work out we can replace.If the talks go on well then i hope we would get the desired result.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 20:17   #12
BHPian

Another report on Baleno power window motor heating up...
I got my car serviced yesterday at Pratham Motors ( blr ) ( has run arnd 50k in the past 4 years.). Took delivery around 6:30 and was exiting from the facility after handing over the gate-pass when, I tried to roll-up the driver side window pane..Alas, it didnt move and for a moment I was wondering if the folks removed the glass! Tried couple of times it didnt work, so decided to get back in again and at the gate when I retried , it worked all of a sudden... I presumed that this is a non-issue and decided to back out. So I try to roll-down again before moving out when it became unresponsive once again.
Since I was already in , made out another gate-pass and headed over to the Service Advisor. Initially when he tried it seemed to work..but gave way after a couple of retries...that was when he said maybe the motor is heating up and so it needs to cooldown before it works again. I didn't agree to that line of thought and we ended up spending another hour trying to figure out issue.

Indeed the motor was heating up and this was the reason. Guess it's just a co-incidence that the motor started acting up after taking delivery of the car after a service.

And yes replacing just one motor costs approximately 11k and that seems to be the only solution for this problem.

Will go in for that after getting it checked at a local workshop.

_haque_
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Another report on Baleno power window motor heating up...
I got my car serviced yesterday at Pratham Motors ( blr ) ( has run arnd 50k in the past 4 years.). Took delivery around 6:30 and was exiting from the facility after handing over the gate-pass when, I tried to roll-up the driver side window pane..Alas, it didnt move and for a moment I was wondering if the folks removed the glass! Tried couple of times it didnt work, so decided to get back in again and at the gate when I retried , it worked all of a sudden... I presumed that this is a non-issue and decided to back out. So I try to roll-down again before moving out when it became unresponsive once again.
Since I was already in , made out another gate-pass and headed over to the Service Advisor. Initially when he tried it seemed to work..but gave way after a couple of retries...that was when he said maybe the motor is heating up and so it needs to cooldown before it works again. I didn't agree to that line of thought and we ended up spending another hour trying to figure out issue.

Indeed the motor was heating up and this was the reason. Guess it's just a co-incidence that the motor started acting up after taking delivery of the car after a service.

And yes replacing just one motor costs approximately 11k and that seems to be the only solution for this problem.

Will go in for that after getting it checked at a local workshop.

_haque_
Hi

I have a zen which had the same problem, the window would go down but would not come up. motor was the culprit.
went to the local mechanic, bought a second hand motor for 500/- , my zen windor is working perfectly.

uday
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:38   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Guess it's just a co-incidence that the motor started acting up after taking delivery of the car after a service.
Haque,

Actually this is not coincidence. Let me explain. When a car is being serviced towards the end of the day, it goes through a washing ramp when the windows are rolled up. Then as the guy removes the car from the ramp, he'll lower the window. Then move into the wiping bay and the window is raised again to wipe the glass, then lowered again as they drive it to the final delivery area. There could also be a couple of instances where it was rolled up/down for other reasons.

This could have contributed to the motor being overworked and hence over heated. A similar thing happened to our Zen a few years back.

You could mention this to the SA at the next service and make sure is stops happening. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote