Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 25th July 2009, 00:40   #241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Here is another pic of the car I managed to click a couple of days back at Ponmudi!

5L budget - Baleno put through some serious mods-img_57112.jpg
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 01:10   #242
Senior - BHPian

Neat car man,i somehow like the looks of Baleno without spoiler[i know people are gonna flame me for that]. But somehow i feel spoiler spoils the look of the car.
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 03:46   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Neat car man,i somehow like the looks of Baleno without spoiler[i know people are gonna flame me for that]. But somehow i feel spoiler spoils the look of the car.
I totally agree with you on this. The Baleno and OHC look gooood without a spoiler. But I do like the spoiler that came with the OHC 1.5ExiS, the low pro one. Sadly enough I can't find even a single one for sale :(

EDIT: Beautiful capture there, Rahul
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 08:48   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Any plans of body work and repainting on the cards? it looks like it needs a better paint job to highlight it.
Nah, it needs to stay sleeper. Personally, I dislike visually loud cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Here is another pic of the car I managed to click a couple of days back at Ponmudi!
Brilliant pic. A good candidate for some Rudra style photoshop magic.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 10:47   #245
BHPian

Sometimes I read this thread from start to end all over again. Now after reading it a couple of times I have a few questions.

What exactly was done on the car? Whats the mod list now? I know bits and pieces but i cant find the entire picture. Do you have a cam? What was rebuild exactly?

How is the car running? You must have finished running in by now, give us a drive report.

did you guys check out the topend? Couple of good places on the way to Kerala to do so.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 14:39   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Sometimes I read this thread from start to end all over again. Now after reading it a couple of times I have a few questions.

What exactly was done on the car? Whats the mod list now? I know bits and pieces but i cant find the entire picture. Do you have a cam? What was rebuild exactly?

How is the car running? You must have finished running in by now, give us a drive report.

did you guys check out the topend? Couple of good places on the way to Kerala to do so.
Runnning in and running over done
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 15:12   #247
BHPian

Sounds funny but what is that supposed to mean? Seems like I am the only one who doesnt know whats going on.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 19:52   #248
Senior - BHPian

This thread is turning out to be a cross between a spy thriller and a comedy. A bit like a Leslie Nielsen movie.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 20:11   #249
BANNED

I shall put up "MY" opinion about the car by tonight.
Old 30th July 2009, 20:22   #250
Team-BHP Support

A list of work done on the car would be nice too, alongwith any experiences to be shared.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 23:46   #251
BHPian

ya the way this thread used to be,its no more same.it was so descriptive.I dont know why Mr. Owner is not writing in himself.I think he is toooo busy driving!!
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 02:01   #252
BANNED

As promised, here is my take on the car.

I happened to visit Race Dynamics one day and saw the car parked there running 215/40/17'' I think. I was like, who in their sane minds would run 17'' on a baleno? This car would be slower than a stock car, with all the mods.

I tried warning Karthik, but he wanted a car that he could impress chicks with . So it came as quite a surprise when he came over to my place with the car running 15''.

So we headed off to Trivandrum with Karthik at the wheel and me just trying to soak in how the car is for the first half of the journey.

First impression: Thank god its not running on 17''. We wouldn't have even made it to Hosur. Some potholes enroute were enough to convince Karthik he had made the right choice to switch to 15''. If not he would have surely cracked 2 17'' rims by the time we reached Silk Board Flyover. Lesson one learnt. 17'' rims with 40 profile tires, 6000k HID's might impress the fairer sex, but make sure you can afford to buy new rims everytime you set out for a drive on Bangalore roads at night.

We get onto the highway past Krishnagiri. Car feels very torquey. Karthik is shifting at 2,000 rpm as the car is still being run-in. The noise from his Solobaric drowns out almost any intake/engine noise I was hoping to hear. Soon I have a headache.

I try to divert my mind into setting up the GPS and we find out that speedo has nearly 10-15% error.

Many many hours and 100's of kms later, I switch over to the drivers side still trying to recover from the booom boom Karthik calls music. Clutch pedal feels hard. It should be, its running a stage 2 Exedy clutch. I pop the clutch and the clutch engages very harshly. A few kms later make a note to self: Not streetable this clutch.

Should have picked up my set of Philips 100/90's. These HID's suck, hardly can see the road upahead. But Karthik defends saying the lights make the car look so cool. I try telling him, when you crash the car not being able to see where your car is going, it wont look cool would it?

I stick to shifting at 2,000 rpm. Car has bucket loads of torque. Still early days these. Trying to listen to the engine, but the dhik chak dhik chak drowns everything. Wish I had a remote that I could use to put the kid to sleep.

Soon we swap places and in a few hours we enter Kerala. Roads are winding, the perfect test for the Pedder's suspension? I get behind the wheel, only to be sadly disappointed. I was really looking forward to some great handling from this suspension setup, specially when it costs 50k. Car was understeering heavily into every corner. I am yet to come across a car that has so much understeer. Note to self: Don't waste money on this setup, review Koni's and Eibach's, if one can afford it maybe go J.Anand's route.

S drives are pretty decent in the wet actually. Even the lateral grip seems fine. Come braking, the tires are a big let down. Karthik managed to lock and smoke his tires trying to brake from 60kmph. Note to self: Never buy S drives or recommend them to anyone. Specially after seeing Tadu's elantra too show similar characteristics.

Did I mention the exhaust note is nice? Oh! Incase you are wondering, the kid did manage to doze off for a while .
Old 31st July 2009, 02:41   #253
BANNED

In the meantime Karthik is busy catching up on some sleep, I make a startled discovery. I wake him up and ask him if the compression has been increased (I have managed to switch of his cars cool factor while he is catching his 40 winks). He has NO CLUE. I ask him what the car is running. His reply:

1. Rebuild.
2. Port & Polish.
3. Short Ratio Gearbox.
4. K&N.
5. Exedy Clutch.
6. End can.

I ask him again, are you sure you have no clue if your compression is increased? "Not sure", he says. He is wondering why I am asking this question.

To my surprise the car is knocking. Yeah! I know. Knocking and me have a long history! I can recognize that sound even in my sleep. We tank up with speed at Trivandrum, but to no avail. Car wont stop knocking. As the miles munch up & nearly a week after we reached TVM, Karthik starts to rev the car a little higher. Soon I notice that the car is like a diesel turbo. Nice powerband from 2,000-4,000. Engines screams for mercy after that. Note to self: Maybe headers and cam will make up for the loss in high revs?

I get into the drivers seat only to find out that the gear ratios are really really short. Car does 95 kmph at 4,000 in 5th gear. GPS shows a speed of around 109kmph. IIRC my car used to do ~140kmph at 4,000 and 180kmph at 5,000 in 5th. So my guess is this cars top end might not be more than 160-170kmph. A feat I would not want to try, until the car has run around 5,000 kms.

Karthik tells me, he specifically asked for the build to be this way. Top end doesn't matter to him. All he needs is mid-range for city use. To each his own.

Then nearly 10 days after we headed to TVM, I take a drive in Jerish's fiesta. I am very impressed with the cars handling with Bilstein's. Karthik is so impressed by the sporty dials and dash of the fiesta that he decides to sell off the baleno and pick up a fiesta . So we head to Cochin in search of a good car. In my mind, I am wondering, is this really happening? Is he really going to sell off his car this soon? Karthik will updates us more on what happened in Cochin.

All I remember is beginning our journey back to TVM from Cochin in blinding rain at night. Damn the HID's. Journey back is smooth (I am playing Savage Garden with the sub turned off so that I dont nurse a headache), I try increasing the speeds a bit, comfortably knowing that the car has now nearly clocked close to 2k+ kms. I managed to hit a top speed of around 115 kmph. Wasn't comfortable pushing the car any further owing to the unexpected appearance of potholes and also the engine knocking. Last thing I need is the engine blowing up with me at the wheel.

We stop for a fag break, we switch places and before I know GPS shows a top whack of 147kmph. I warn Karthik to back off as the car is knocking badly and it wasn't safe pushing the car. We head back to TVM and the next day while taking the car out, I notice white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I warn Karthik, but he says its normal for white smoke to come first thing in the morning in the cold climate in Kerala. I don't bother arguing. I only hope we don't face any issues on our way back home.

Karthik got stuck with work and I had to leave back to Bangalore by bus. Since then I have no clue what is the status with the car. Karthik should be able to update us more on that.

In short, the car left me very disappointed. I wasn't expecting to hear the engine knock. If only it had the ECU plugged in, most of this could have been avoided. Now don't ask me why the ECU was not on the car. I have no clue.

The suspension was the biggest let down as far as I am concerned.

Maybe its just me, but I wasn't in favour of the ultra short gearing. I am told Karthik will be getting a new set of ratios if he didn't find this to his liking.

Though I must admit the car has some amazing torque. I know the build is still incomplete. ECU, cams, headers still have to go in. But taking a straight reference to Memo's baleno (nearly running the same setup, except for the short ratio gearbox) IMO memo's car was faster and much more fun to drive.

Obviously, these are just "MY" opinions.
Old 31st July 2009, 04:08   #254
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand. What is the point of such short ratios if all you'll do in the city is keep changing gears every 10 seconds?
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 04:11   #255
BHPian

@crazydiablo-i am with you.
Just went through the whole thread and suddenly since the last 3 pages i have lost track of what exactly is going on? Why is the car being run in without any mods? What was the re-build all about? There was a rebuild right? or .....????

Somebody please clear out the confusion and let me what work was carried out on the car till date?
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote