Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th May 2009, 20:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

Well the car would be red or blue with a black hood and black wheels.. Anyone got better suggestions on the paintjob??
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I dont think big bore will tax the bottom end. Thats not your worries, there is another fundamental design flaw in the Baleno which is not very conducive to overboring. The bore and stroke of the J18 is different.
A few factors like higher piston mass(than stock), high comp taxing big-end, sleeve thickness being too thin leads to over-heating etc. These are issues which can be avoided if all done right. A good big bore is very reliable as stock.
Mohit, I said a high comp big-bore will tax the bottom.
The worst enemy of the Baleno is its absurd stroke length.
The J18 is a better spec engine. Sad we didnt get it here.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

The 5th rims would be nice with blue and the last one would be nice with red.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 20:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

List of parts that will be going into the car

ECU - Race Dynamics
Turbo - Garrett T25BB
Turbo manifold - XS Engineering (?)
Intercooler - ?
BOV - HKS SSQ
Boost controller - Apexi
Clutch - Exedy Stage 2
Piping - SS with powder coating and branded hoses
Spark plugs - HKS
CAI - HKS
FFE - Custom made with HKS end can
Suspension - Koni
Tires - Yokohama 195/55/R15 Advan Neovas
Alloys - 15" Konig lightweight alloys

Engine rebuild
Port and polish
Crower performance cams
Mobil1 super syntetic oil
Upgraded brakes

Custom paintjob and bodykit
Some ICE

Guys, advice on the above stuff. If anything needs to be changed (different brand or anyting) do suggest

Last edited by karthik247 : 19th May 2009 at 21:02.
Old 19th May 2009, 21:05   #95
BHPian

You pull this off, you wont need much else.

go for a electronic dual stage boost controller. Cam selection should be for a turbo. I think you need upgraded injectors also.

What boost are you planning to run?
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 21:12   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
You pull this off, you wont need much else.

go for a electronic dual stage boost controller. Cam selection should be for a turbo. I think you need upgraded injectors also.

What boost are you planning to run?
Apexi Avcr has gear based and RPM based boost settings. So boost can be handled differently throughout the RPM range.

Cam will be for a turbo application, now to get to the legend who tunes baleno engines to get a few custom made.

For the moment, 7psi until forged conrods come through. Its enough for city use I guess. Injectors at 7psi are not maxxing out from other builds, if need be it RDK suggests incorporating an extra injector. Scooby injectors are a bolt on, or got to change the fuel rail and manifold to that of a cultus and get Supra injectors. What say Mohit ?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 21:34   #97
BHPian

Tempting to say the least.

How does the boost controller do gear based control. Thats for car which has a gear indicator. Or probably you can build one in I guess. RPM based boost settings is nice and defn good.

Crower makes off the shelf for Balenos? Or is it a custom re grind?

7psi is ample. But I believe your injectors will not hold 7psi. Extra injector is not reco for high boost. Subaru MY03/04 injectors will be a direct fit.

If you have the budget, I would say change the conrods rightaway. Once you have boost, you will be wanting more. There is no doubt about that.
Old 19th May 2009, 21:41   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Tempting to say the least.
I can't tell you what I am going through right now.. This was my dream project still waiting to be finished on my car since ages now.

Quote:
How does the boost controller do gear based control. Thats for car which has a gear indicator. Or probably you can build one in I guess. RPM based boost settings is nice and defn good.
Got to read the AVCR manual. Its been lying with me for ages, just haven't had the time to take a look around.

Quote:
Crower makes off the shelf for Balenos? Or is it a custom re grind?
Custom billet. Or atleast that is what I have. Though, Raj sir gets all his cams custom made and is probably the only guy who has stock of cams for the G16B in India.

Quote:
7psi is ample. But I believe your injectors will not hold 7psi.
Yup, 7psi is more than enough for karthik. I need 1 bar + .

Quote:
Extra injector is not reco for high boost. Subaru MY03/04 injectors will be a direct fit.
Got to talk to Rdk about this. He will have to take a call. A meeting with him is pending.

Quote:
If you have the budget, I would say change the conrods rightaway. Once you have boost, you will be wanting more. There is no doubt about that.
Exactly what I told Karthik. But he wants to paint the car, a bodykit, ICE it etc too. Conrods are damn expensive Mohit, so he has to sacrifice somewhere, either the looks or stick to 7psi boost. The choice is left to him.

But, I am told a small workaround to push the baleno to take 10psi daily drive without damaging the rods. Lets see if its safe to do it. Like I said, got to wait for someone to come .

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th May 2009 at 21:44.
Old 19th May 2009, 21:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

stock baleno injectors hold upto 15psi been tested and proven and reliable.
more than con rods you need crank, pistons,sleeves, gearbox, valve springs, fpr, engine bearings, oil cooler. These are pretty vital
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 21:54   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
stock baleno injectors hold upto 15psi been tested and proven and reliable.
more than con rods you need crank, pistons,sleeves, gearbox, valve springs, fpr, engine bearings, oil cooler. These are pretty vital
Amit, I am yet to hear anyone complain about the crank (who has had this issue?). Everyone have had issues with bent conrods. Stock pistons can hold upto 1 bar easily. Darlton sleeves, engine bearings and oil cooler will be looked into while the engine is being rebuilt. What suggestions do you have for the gearbox?
Old 19th May 2009, 21:55   #101
Senior - BHPian

NO!! Its not that im happy with 7psi boost, but i thought this is enough for now and after a few months depending on my budget ill move to the next stage. And by that that ill get bored of whatever it puts out at 7psi

Looks like this won't be a once n for all mod as i wanted.
Old 19th May 2009, 21:57   #102
BHPian

Check out the AVCR manual thats an interesting piece of info. Jitu is using it, but his is a B16 for which all these functions can be implemented easily. B16 is in a league of its own when it comes to setup.

Cams: So you still get to keep your stock cams right?

I have seen the extra injector work on mild boost where you are on a budget and also u are not running a standalone but a piggy back. When you are exploiting a standalone might as well do things right.

Regarding boost, 7psi is more than enough or probably more than what you can use on streets.
You better ensure that bottom end is strong. There is no point in crying later with a blown engine. When you build a car the approach is get it running to your satisfaction mechanically and then you work on the cosmetics. Paint, bodykit and ICE you can do anytime....We have lots of good guys.

Build it once and build it right.......
Old 19th May 2009, 21:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

custom made gear box or gti, else dont build the engine. waste of time and money.
yet to see stock baleno pistons hold 1 bar in a daily drive.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:04   #104
BANNED

Yup, keep the stock cams. Sourcing conrods will take time, unless people like Amit can help.

Amit, what is the weak link in the gearbox (since I am a zero with gb's)? How about lightening the flywheel a bit to reduce the excessive torque? This might put less load on the gearbox too.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 19th May 2009 at 22:05.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

nope that will not help, the gears will break/shatter. Check with whoever you are waiting for to comeback
refer to your tuner.

Can help with parts.They are not cheap.

So are you the tuner or consultant to Karthik?

Last edited by iceman91 : 19th May 2009 at 22:12.