Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th May 2009, 12:16   #121
BHPian

I would suggest to go for a pearl white paintjob with a custom grill, full skirting and preferably golden rims, like the 4th alloy you posted. Go for a nice 5 spoke golden rims. Black and black with silver lip is getting quite common nowadays, even in hyd. The all black theme is also very very common. I dint see any pearl white Baleno till take. Keep it simple yet classy which turns heads.
furioussphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 15:11   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mohit, I don't think itsdamo has done any major strengthening of the gearbox so to speak. Like I mentioned he has machined and lightened the flywheel a bit so that you reduce the excessive torque that otherwise comes with turboing the G16B.

For a decision on the gearbox, I would like to wait for Raj sir to come back and take his opinion on it. His gearbox's seem to be holding up pretty fine for what he is putting out. But since we aren't even getting close to what he tries with this engines it should surely help us out. Even with forged bottom half I think at best we could use this engine to go 1bar for daily drive. Anything more is suicidal.

@ Amit : I am told that the G16B gearbox is basically the same as the 1300GT gearbox with a different bell housing. Any further info on this?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th May 2009 at 15:26.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 15:57   #123
BHPian

Yeah thats your best option.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:28   #124
Senior - BHPian

The gears itself are different in all apects.
I just gave away a gearbox done by Raj. It is somebody elses mistress now

The 180bhp which you talking about has a modded gearbox.
Should not believe erveything you read. Not everyone discloses what they have running.
Anything more than 1 bar on a forged bottom half will need a new bottom half!

Firstly what is the budget and who is building the car has to be sorted else you will end up with a BHELPURI build
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:37   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
The gears itself are different in all apects.
This is what Dave had to say. I am sure you know who he is...

Quote:
I just gave away a gearbox done by Raj. It is somebody elses mistress now
Heard about it.

Quote:
The 180bhp which you talking about has a modded gearbox.
Should not believe erveything you read. Not everyone discloses what they have running.
That project was not done in India Amit. Only we Indians prefer to remain secret about such builds. Anyways, I shall have a personal word with damo and check. He has always been willing to help out.

Quote:
Anything more than 1 bar on a forged bottom half will need a new bottom half!
Don't intend to go that far.

Quote:
Firstly what is the budget and who is building the car has to be sorted else you will end up with a BHELPURI build
Read Karthik's posts initially. He has mentioned the budget. Don't worry Amit, with people like Mohit and you helping us out, it wont end up being a bhelpuri build. What say?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th May 2009 at 16:40.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:43   #126
Senior - BHPian

I know it is not built in india. Trust me abroad too, people are reserved. Not saying this person is.
My bad did not read the budget part. Will help not a problem, never said no till date to anyone who has asked politely.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:50   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
I know it is not built in india. Trust me abroad too, people are reserved. Not saying this person is.
My bad did not read the budget part. Will help not a problem, never said no till date to anyone who has asked politely.
Hehe. Amit, I have personally interacted with damo a number of times. From 2006 and he is a very friendly guy and goes out of his way to help. And since he is probably the only one apart from Akhil who has done a similar build after doing a lot of research we might as well use their help as well.

You know the tuning scene is still not professional in India. So this is the best we can do and hope.

Now, suppose this was your project. How would you go about it? I know we all have different ways to work. So lets hear it from your end. Say a reliable daily drive running 7-10 psi and 1 bar when you need that extra. How would you proceed?
Old 20th May 2009, 17:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

Throw that block out.
Get a g15 and then do whatever you guys are planning.
Old 20th May 2009, 18:40   #129
BHPian

Its not been an easy journey for anybody turboing a G16B. They have blown engine, gearboxes and then starts the serious builds. So the only way if you are going to do it, is to skip the first step and learn form others mistake. But most of the guys running serious boost (1bar or more) have reworked bottom end and forged pistons. This serious money, and serious effort.

I have heard of many builds running, but we dont have any solid proof, nor has it been documented nor have I talked to the owner. So I am keen to see on on TBHP that will be daily driven with boost.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 20:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
List of parts that will be going into the car

ECU - Race Dynamics

Guys, advice on the above stuff. If anything needs to be changed (different brand or anyting) do suggest
Lovely Lovely list of mods. all parts and mods seem to be highly recommended by more than 1 person on this forum. (except Apexi, which I as a Stage2+ noob have not heard of)

Also are you saying that the price of the car + all these mods = 5L?
If so - kudos to you and am hooked to this thread.

Quote:
White balenos are common these days, when im getting a paint job done might as well get something unique.
Thank you. too many Blacks/Whites and Silvers. Time for some fancy paint jobs with Red / Blue as hinted by you mated with Black /Hyper black Rims with Silver deep Lip.

My comments inline.

Another color you could consider would be Dark Metallic Purple.

Quote:
Im just putting the details here, Rahuls the guy behind the performance stuff, i got the body stuff covered... now have to get someone help out with the ICE

No stripes, no stickers, only good paint job on this one.. Thank You

Paint options are...
Red with black hood, black wheels, red n black interiors My second placed suggestion. Specifically Candy Apple Red. Brilliant color
Blue with black or white wheels, matching interiors - First choice - Daytona Blue
Grey with black hood black wheels, matching interiors - Hyper Black as stated below
Black with black wheels, black tints, everything black (common, but will look wicked) - So common, does not even make me give it a second glance

Amit, yellow also should be good, but bright. - Naaa

@Silver Knight
Good to know i made the right decision.. Most of the designs are available in hyper silver, black or grey. - hummm! Hyper Black seems a nice color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Rahul, you posted the video of the dyno run right. That build is putting out around 180bhp at the wheels with a stock unported head and stock cams if I remember correctly. But he is running forged internals and a strengthened gearbox, which out which he cannot pull it off.
I was going to ask who was the tuner for this vehicle, then realized its not a IN car.

Who is the tuner for the black TC car?... if I may ask.

Last edited by IronWolf : 20th May 2009 at 20:37. Reason: Typo
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 20:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thanks IronWolf..

Yes, everything should be within 5L UNLESS something extra comes in.
Colour would most probably be a shade of grey with black wheels.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 20:59   #132
Senior - BHPian

Super Cool. But do consider Daytona Blue with HyperBlack / Black Hood + HyperBlack / Black Sliver Lip Rims.

If my Baleno was getting a paint job.. that will be the combo.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 01:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
The worst enemy of the Baleno is its absurd stroke length.
I don't know why people keep saying this. The D16 has identical dimensions, similar cylinder spacing, and it does fine with both revs and boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
For the moment, 7psi until forged conrods come through. Its enough for city use I guess. Injectors at 7psi are not maxxing out from other builds, if need be it RDK suggests incorporating an extra injector. Scooby injectors are a bolt on, or got to change the fuel rail and manifold to that of a cultus and get Supra injectors. What say Mohit ?
Quote:
7psi is ample. But I believe your injectors will not hold 7psi. Extra injector is not reco for high boost. Subaru MY03/04 injectors will be a direct fit.

If you have the budget, I would say change the conrods rightaway. Once you have boost, you will be wanting more. There is no doubt about that.
You can run 1 bar with both stock injectors and stock conrods, assuming tuning is done right, and you use high-octane fuel. It has ALREADY been done in India.

Quote:
Apart from the rods, gearbox is the other weaklink in the balenos. Its not the ratios as such but construction of the gearbox is weak in the 1.6balenos. Yes GTi gearboxes are strong and are known to take a lot of boost but I never knew that was a fit in our cars. Another option is the J18 gearbox, not plug and play but can be fitted. J18 have cable operated gearboxes so that has to be modified.

But what I would do it strengthen the current gearbox if I am running serious boost. Which involves a lot of money and effort. Not at all an easy task.
Baleno gearbox is strong enough. Have seen only the diff give way in a hard corner, on full throttle at 1 bar. Otherwise, it holds. I don't know where this snippet of 'weak gearbox' has come from, considering you can count on a few fingers the number of high-boost high-power turbo Balenos in India.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 01:43   #134
Senior - BHPian

Akshay Baleno box is strong enough for what ?? FFE and P&P?
none of these high boost high power balenos are running stock boxes.
when have you seen an FI baleno at full throttle @ 1Bar give away that too in a corner?

stock injectors yes, stock conrods no way. Can bet on this if you want.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:51   #135
Senior - BHPian

Amit, Leela's build. Owner then put a GT box, but that also busted. So a GT box isn't much better then. 10 psi with regular Speed and 1 bar with 97.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote