Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th May 2009, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
did you go through the MAI docs i had sent you?

firstly i would suggest you get the specific details and regulations regarding modding from the bengal motorsports association. that way you will know how much you can and cannot mod. let me know when you are planning to get things started, will help you and sid da as much as i can (thats if i'm able to).
NOS, I have not gone through all the docs that you had sent, but will surely do it. You are most welcome to join the mod exercise. It would be good to meet up with someone from BMSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
By "rally" do you mean you intend to participate in on or more round of the INRC ?
Also do take a look on Rally India - Welcome to the Home of Indian Rallying | Home | Rally India in case you are really serious into getting into rallying! there's a lot of rally drivers,navigators,organizers and couch rallyists in there who can help you
I am not planning to take up rallying as a career, its more of a hobby that I had wanted to pursue for a long time. I wont be able to devote enough time and spend as much money, for a fullfledged INRC participation. I am more inclined to join the ones in the local circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You my friend, are living my dream!! ANyways, one word of Advice, DO NOT RALLY WITHOUT A ROLL CAGE!!! No matter how against a roll cage you are, it is life saving.
Got your point. Looks like I will have to get a roll cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You can have a chat with Amittrajit Ghosh (RK Performance) and tell him about your intentions. He might be able to guide you. Please PM me if you need his number.
BP, you had earlier PM'ed me Sunny's number. Hope I have not misplaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
please visit the official MAI or FMSCI sites , and also rally.co.in .
please familiarise yourself with the modifications/ preparations as per the rules and regulations laid down by the competent authorities for the 1400 cc class.
Will be going through the sites. Thanks for the references.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 14:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh
When you go shopping for the mods, let me know if prices can come down a bit for buying two sets of anything. I am game for some of the mods too. If you are really serious about Himalayan rally, you can get some of the mods done in Shimla from one of the organisers' workshop too, like underbody protection etc. But they might charge a lot more than usual.
Regarding alloys - buy them for regular road driving. But keep the steel ones for the rallies. Himalayan rally, incidentally, requires new set of tyres, plus two spares !!! So that's a good 20k additional.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 10:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Saurabh
When you go shopping for the mods, let me know if prices can come down a bit for buying two sets of anything. I am game for some of the mods too.
That would make three of each. me_sid is also interested in some of the mods and we would be doing it together. From pricing point of view, more the merrier. Will keep you informed.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:14   #19
BHPian

saurabh da any updates, what all work has been done so far?
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 21:58   #20
BHPian

Reviving this thread after more than a year, on repeated requests from @Planet Rocker.

Well, a lot of things have happened with Black Hawk (BH). First a list of mods that have gone into the car:

1. Suspension upgrade with CMS shockers
2. Front and rear Strut bars
3. K&N Universal filter
4. Ceramic brakes
5. Clutch upgrade
6. Lower arm straightening
7. FFE
8. Bonnet locks
9. Sump guard
10. Petrol tank guard
11. Auxillary lights and horns

With these mods, I was ready to venture into the rally world. Started off with a few local ones in and around Kolkata. After the first rally (Extra Mile Rally), we formed a team with Joseph (@NOS Power) as the navigator and me as the driver.

As me and NOS started to get a hang of the things, our first big rally appeared round the corner. The 3rd Indo Bhutan Friendship Car Rally. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ly-2010-a.html (3rd Indo-Bhutan Friendship Car Rally - 2010)).

A few more mods went into the car:

12. Roll cage
13. Terratrip 202+ Rally computer

Being a relatively tough, high speed rally through forests and mountains, I thought it would be prudent to get a roll cage installed. Thus, out came the rear seats and the roll cage got in. BH became a dedicated rally car.

We did relatively well in the Indo-Bhutan rally. This was followed by the Telegraph Monsoon Rally and then the unfateful Kaviguru Rally.

We lost control in one of the forest sections and BH overturned into a ditch. The car was damaged but we came out without a scratch. The roll cage proved to be a life saver.

Rally mod advice for Esteem-08052010046-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-08052010047-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-08052010048-large.jpg

BH is right now in the workshop, being worked upon. The body work is complete. This is how it looks now:

Rally mod advice for Esteem-03072010075-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-03072010076-large.jpg

Hope to get BH going and roaring in the next couple of weeks. Missing her..

Last edited by Saurabh M : 11th July 2010 at 22:00.
Saurabh M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 22:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good to see BH getting back in shape and a new paint scheme might require a new nomenclature.

What would be the damages to the pocket like?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Good to see BH getting back in shape and a new paint scheme might require a new nomenclature.

Anirban da, it'll still be a hawk for sure considering the way it drives, the colour name will change.

But hold on to your horses till you see how this new paint scheme will come up, worth waiting i must say.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 10:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

BH is coming out pretty well. Wish 3 of you all the very best.

Waiitng for the final Pics and updates
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 12:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
BH is coming out pretty well. Wish 3 of you all the very best.

Waiitng for the final Pics and updates
Thanks for your wishes. Yes, BH is back in shape. The damages are going to be approximately 20K. Don't have the exact figures yet.

Time for a new name
Old 13th July 2010, 09:45   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good decision in getting the roll cage (as if you needed someone to tell you that ). Glad you + navigator weren't hurt in the roll over.

The C Pillar looks bent in the accident pictures. Hope that garage is run by a pro who knows what he's doing. 20K is peanuts for getting this car back in shape.

Ceramic brakes? Helped? How's the car running on regular roads?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 12:07   #26
BHPian

Yes GTO. We were lucky to have escaped unhurt.

The car is being worked at Calcutta Motors, run by Sudip Ghosh, who is himself a rally driver. Almost 9-10 cars from his workshop participate in rallies, regularly. (The Bolero of Somdev Chanda, which came overall second in the Adventure category of Raid 2009 was prepared by him as well.)

My car should be back on road in a couple of weeks time. As far as ceramic brakes are concerned, I may not be in a good position to compare their performance, vis a vis regular brake pads, as I have not driven in rallies, using regular brakes. However, I can vouch for the braking performance of this car, under demanding conditions when driven in rallies, for extensive periods (eg. Indo Bhutan rally).

The car is a hoot to drive, be it roads/no roads/regular roads/irregular roads. The ride is definitely stiff, but, nobody's complaining
Old 18th August 2010, 12:44   #27
BHPian

Default Black Hawk - Reincarnation required

Black Hawk is almost back on the road. The paint job and other works are complete. Its currently undergoing trial runs before being handed over to me.

Here are some accessories that I got for her

Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010102-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010105-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010109-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010110-large.jpg

Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010111-large.jpg

Got these as well to secure the lights
Rally mod advice for Esteem-16082010107-large.jpg

The installation will happen on coming Saturday. Hoping to present Black Hawk by next week.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for the final updates Saurabh. Will this car need a name change?

Take care and drive safe.

Ask the Navigator to do something about his car. He doesn't even listen to me
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 17:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh good to know that you car is back in action. But then is this your daily drive ? From post 20 I can see that there has been no form of weight reduction done. Also the rear speaker mounting tray is still in place and so is the HU .

How is that you haven't considered renting a car for rallies than modifying your current esteem.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 18th August 2010 at 17:04.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 17:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Waiting for the final updates Saurabh. Will this car need a name change?
Ask the Navigator to do something about his car. He doesn't even listen to me
Yes, it will require a name change. The base colour is now Off-White.

As for NOS, I think he has finally listened to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Saurabh good to know that you car is back in action. But then is this your daily drive ? From post 20 I can see that there has been no form of weight reduction done. Also the rear speaker mounting tray is still in place and so is the HU .

How is that you haven't considered renting a car for rallies than modifying your current esteem.
BH ceased to be my daily drive after the roll cage was installed. I use a OHC for my daily drives (my garage has pics of it). As for weight reduction, you are correct that I have not taken any major steps towards that. I will be replacing the wooden speaker tray with a standard fibre one. There is no HU now. It came off when the speakers were taken out at the time of installing the roll cage.

Around Kolkata, there are not too many options to rent rally cars, if at all. People use their own cars for rallying :(