Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 12th June 2009, 02:26   #1

Question Accessories for Chevrolet Captiva

Hello,
Bought myself a new captiva... was wondering what are the upgrades i can go for

1. Stock replacement K&N filter... does it create more noise.
2. Low profile tires... Does it improve my ride quality or only handling.
3. Does the use of synthetic oil and nitrogen for tires help improve milage

Someone helpp me out
naveenangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 12:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard, Naveenangels. A quick tip before I answer your questions : Please take the effort to type out your post in proper english, and keep a watch on those spellings as well. Our members can get extremely particular about the language used on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenangels View Post
1. Stock replacement K&N filter... does it create more noise.
I don't see the point. A K&N, by itself, hardly leads to any performance improvement. And yes, the suction noise is pretty evident (for the cold air intake). You will either love it or hate it (I love it though).

Quote:
2. Low profile tires... Does it improve my ride quality or only handling.
Not recommended for an SUV. What you could do is upgrade to better quality rubber. What brand & size is your Captiva running on at the moment?

Quote:
3. Does the use of synthetic oil
Highly recommended after your car has covered 10,000 kms. More details here (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)

Quote:
and nitrogen for tires help improve milage
Nope, it's all marketing talk. More details here (Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 12:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What brand & size is your Captiva running on at the moment?
Captiva comes with 17 inchers. (Bridgestone I think).
18 would be a good upsize, but it is not an absolute necessity.
The stock ones do the job pretty well. Atleast they did on my way to Hogannekal from Bangalore.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 12:38   #4
BHPian

If your looking for power then the Pete's Tuning Box has just come for the Captiva (May get one fitted for my captiva).

About the filter there is no Cold Air Intake available for the Captiva(2.0L).

The current Hankook are 235/60 R17 if am not mistaken. If you have bought the Auto 4WD the I suggest going for off road tires(only if you go Off roading often). But if you have the manuel 2WD I suggest stick with the stock tires as they are pretty good.
indra_slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 09:42   #5
BHPian

If the current size tyres are 235/60, then suggest you go for 255/55 or 265/55 profiles.

265 will give u a very slightly more ground clearance. but its hardly much so no point thinking of that.

255 would be best as 265 would make the steering wheel slightly tighter. I like it, would personally go for 265, looks awesome too!
Best tyres in the market are the Pirelli Scorpion STR! second would be the Yokohama's.

Other than this, You could also buy the aftermarket DoubleDin Stereo Fitting Console, so that u can remove your stock, good for nothing, stereo and put in a nice pioneer dvd changer with 7" screen! and all the extras too with it.

Congrats on the purchase, btw!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:13   #6
BHPian

hi,
The Captivas tyres and alloys are very good. Great great handling, Stick to it.

The Music system needs a major upgrade...

A word of advice. If you ever plan on installing an Amp or something the only place to get the Power Cable into the cabin is Behind the brake pedal, as some suggest cutting a small hole , dont do that.

I did my install in my Captiva, the best sound i have heard in a car as far as clarity and thump combination goes....

Also tyre for the captiva can get pretty expensive. Even a replacement can cost 8500-9000, as am looking to buy a new tyre as one has a cut on it, and the Spare is a different model/brand al together.
daebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy pls post some pic of the babe.
Don't add any mods as of now.
only change to Synthetic oil after 10K and later if you want more power from 2.0L mill,give a petes to it.that would add from 150 bhp to 180bhp wwhoolaaaa!!!!
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote