Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th June 2009, 10:00   #16
BHPian

The forester looks really well maintained. Btw what is that car at the backdrop, is that a lexus?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 10:03   #17
BHPian

I have seen this car in my office, it looks a lot better than some of the ugly looking SUV's in our market.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:10   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seems fantastic! Bet that Forester is just crying out loud for more power now! Been a fan of the Subaru's road manners....look forward to a detailed driving report.

Can I ask you how you managed to source the parts & cost of the same?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:52   #19
BHPian

Fantastic project. Are these springs from the Impreza? I think they have Bilstein dampers and shockers yes?

Heres something that might be of interest, if you plan on going further with the modifications - Google Image Result for http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/subaru-forester-sti-1.JPG

Subaru Forester STI (2005) with pictures and wallpapers

One of my neighbours here has a STI and belive me the car is stonking - It looks great and sounds even better. Not many people even know these exist. Subaru launched them in Japan and the Uk cars are all imports. Its probably the perfect car to nick parts off to modify yours.

Also have a look at this site - SubaruForester.org

Theres a local source near me for these Sti parts if yoru interested. I've been looking at some stuff for my Spec B Legacy and they seem to be quite competent.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 16th June 2009 at 14:54.
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
The forester looks really well maintained. Btw what is that car at the backdrop, is that a lexus?
That must be Toyota Aristo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
why there is a chevy symbol on the grill and the wheels?
GM owned majority shares in Subaru and marketed Forester as Chevrolet product in India.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:38   #21
BHPian

I got all the parts from Singapore, including the EJ25 Turbo and the Drivetrain, Brakes ect.

It costed me approx 4.5 lac for all the stuff.

I have only installed the suspension for now. I am busy with work and another more interesting project ,and hence the delay in doing the engine swap.

Also i am waiting for a few bits like a subframe and mounts.

And yes the car in the Background is a Toyota Aristo V300.

@Samir Taheer, will let you know if i need anything. And the Spec B? ooh nice , what year?

Yes they are from the Impreza, and these are not Bilsteins.

Last edited by mura : 16th June 2009 at 15:42.
mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:59   #22
BHPian

how about fixing some fog lamps.i know its not required.just to complete the look of the car.4 fog lamps of arounf 5 " probably a light force or hella just below the front grill.

i was in constant touch with cheam subaru for the turbo charged engine for my forester.but htey were completely against the swap as they guranteed that it would never be normal to drive.they said its better to buy a used car & import it.specially if you go with the AT transmission.i am very eager to see how your car will be with the swap.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th June 2009 at 18:31. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of making back to back posts. Thanks.
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 16:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i was in constant touch with cheam subaru for the turbo charged engine for my forester.but htey were completely against the swap as they guranteed that it would never be normal to drive.they said its better to buy a used car & import it.specially if you go with the AT transmission.i am very eager to see how your car will be with the swap.
How can a Stock factory turbo engine with stock factory ECU, transmission ect. be different or funny to drive?
It should and be normal if you do a proper swap without cutting the wiring harness ect.
Old 17th June 2009, 05:15   #24
BHPian

What year is the EJ25T ?
Hope you know about the chronic Headgasket problem in this engine.
I have an EJ25 from year 2002 and it blew the left side head gasket (this is the first one to usually blow)
I think they changed the gasket design from 2003 onwards. Although the turbo engine has much much less instances of the failure, taking precautions won't harm.

Add the Subaru coolant conditioner too when are changing everything. And try and run Subaru coolant (EJ25 seems to run happily with this only) or atleast the generic version of Subaru coolant (found to work good with the cars). I think it is made by a company called PEAK.

Also see if you can source the old black JDM oil filters while stocks are still floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
That must be Toyota Aristo
In JDM markets, yes. But elsewhere, it still is the Lexus GS.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 17th June 2009 at 05:21.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 08:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
What year is the EJ25T ?
Hope you know about the chronic Headgasket problem in this engine.
I have an EJ25 from year 2002 and it blew the left side head gasket (this is the first one to usually blow)
I think they changed the gasket design from 2003 onwards. Although the turbo engine has much much less instances of the failure, taking precautions won't harm.

Add the Subaru coolant conditioner too when are changing everything. And try and run Subaru coolant (EJ25 seems to run happily with this only) or atleast the generic version of Subaru coolant (found to work good with the cars). I think it is made by a company called PEAK.

Also see if you can source the old black JDM oil filters while stocks are still floating around.

In JDM markets, yes. But elsewhere, it still is the Lexus GS.
Thanks for the info, before putting it in i will do the T belt and replace the stock head gaskets with the Tomei Metal head gasket.

I have the Denso oil filters. Any reason you prefer the JDM filter?

And yes that is a Toyota Aristo V300 and not a Lexus.
Old 17th June 2009, 13:57   #26
BHPian

Its a 2006 3.0R Spec B - Spec B only means its got a variant of the Sti gearbox and suspension.

How about some interior pics of your car? I drove one sometime ago (long time ago) and it was really nice to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
I got all the parts from Singapore, including the EJ25 Turbo and the Drivetrain, Brakes ect.

It costed me approx 4.5 lac for all the stuff.

I have only installed the suspension for now. I am busy with work and another more interesting project ,and hence the delay in doing the engine swap.

Also i am waiting for a few bits like a subframe and mounts.

And yes the car in the Background is a Toyota Aristo V300.

@Samir Taheer, will let you know if i need anything. And the Spec B? ooh nice , what year?

Yes they are from the Impreza, and these are not Bilsteins.
Old 17th June 2009, 15:15   #27
BHPian

@Samir Taheer - I own a Forester too and have been considering the engine swap for some time along with other parts. Can you give me some info on where I can get these parts in UK? I am visiting next month.
@mura: Can we have some more details on sourcing the engine. I am quite keen to do one on mine so am quite eager to hear how yours turns out. I agree with the logic of engine/drivetrain swap. Should be fine.
4wdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 03:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, before putting it in i will do the T belt and replace the stock head gaskets with the Tomei Metal head gasket.
Tomei MHG is good. Even the new Subaru design is not bad.
How aobut changing the waterpump too, while installing new gasket?
I had changed lots more stuff when I had my EJ25 opened up.

Quote:
I have the Denso oil filters. Any reason you prefer the JDM filter?
Denso are good. So are Mobil 1 and Purolator longs.
I recommended JDM because atleast here in North America, they have randomly shifted many suppliers and some of the filters have been bad. The black JDM ones command premium these days.

Quote:
And yes that is a Toyota Aristo V300 and not a Lexus.
Ha ha! Agreed agreed. It's Not a (JDM) GS300. It's an Aristo V300
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 12:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter View Post
@Samir Taheer - I own a Forester too and have been considering the engine swap for some time along with other parts. Can you give me some info on where I can get these parts in UK? I am visiting next month.
Ill try and get a list together over the weekend, check out the Subaru Forester Forum link i posted earlier, it has loads of info. As for the mods, Prodrive are one obvious choice. They have full acess to the parts bins of STI, but as we all know they can be really expensive. Also theres X-Spec, which concentrates mainly on its on racing team, but their workshop does undertake modification jobs. I (sadly) dont know either personally, so i cant really give a contact. If you google it i am sure you'll find something. Why dont u look in Singapore and stuff like Mura has. Wont parts be alot more reasonable?