Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th June 2009, 17:24   #1
BHPian

Default Tip to reduce Safari cabin noise

Here is a very useful tip for those who are annoyed with the cabin noise !!!

The car in focus here is TATA SAFARI, does not matter whether its 3.0 or 2.2. Those who driven safari would understand what I meant by the cabin noise, for others itís the engine sound. Even though safari has a well insulated engine bay, the engine sound inside the car is very much audible and sometime very much annoying considering its an 7+L vehicle. I used to feel like driving a truck than a car.

The solution is to seal the area under the dash board using some damping material (like Noise Kill, Dynamat etc). Please note that this is not a DIY as the safari dash board has very complex components connected to it. I got the chance to do it as the dash board was removed to replace the Blower motor. It was done by Concorde Motors, Bangalore. So give it a try if you have good contacts with the service advisor, otherwise they will directly say NO to this kind of works.

The damping material used was some unbranded stuff which I picked from EVO(satya), Bangalore and cost me 1500 for 2 sheets of 2.25 sqft. Concorde did not charge anything for installation.

My car now is Safari 2.2 VTT LUXUARY Edition !!!!!.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2009 at 17:49. Reason: [FONT] and other tags removed.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 20:48   #2
BHPian

Nice work, what would you say the difference is percentage wise in terms of engine/road noise, you've got me tempted to have a go myself as a diy weekend job

Cheers
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 21:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Stefan

i dont think so it will be an easy DIY job as the Dashboard is huge and will surely need help from at least a cpouple of more people.

But totally worth exploring
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:08   #4
BHPian

Stefan,
The result was amazing!! In high gears you won't feel that the engine is running and that is something very much new for safaris.

Its really worth trying, but make sure that you are well equipped.
Old 17th June 2009, 22:09   #5
BHPian

hEY LIONx,

great work mate!

Have you any pictures of the install.?, Does not matter if you don't. but for the sake of others here please can you explain

1. understanably the damping material is mounted behind the dashboard, did they use glue to stick it or what was used .?

2. secondly, did the damping material travel all the way below to the floor of the car ..? If so how did they manage the pedals.

3. Is this materail Fire proof.? the last thing one would expect is a fire under the dash.

4. will this not interfere with the blower suction.?

These are just a few questions on my mind ... as my 4 year old baleno is driving me nuts with road and rattling noises.

Cheers!
shivshanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Sorry dude, i don't have any pics as it was done at the service center.

1. understanably the damping material is mounted behind the dashboard, did they use glue to stick it or what was used .?

The material itself is sticker kind of. You just have to cut it into shape and paste.

2. secondly, did the damping material travel all the way below to the floor of the car ..? If so how did they manage the pedals.

No, I just covered the holes from engine bay to the dash.

3. Is this materail Fire proof.? the last thing one would expect is a fire under the dash.

I have no idea about this, but I don't really see any reason for it to be fireproof.

4. will this not interfere with the blower suction.?

No, as enough ventilation is given for the blower to do its duty.

Will post the pic of the material tomorrow if you want.
Old 18th June 2009, 09:24   #7
BHPian

that will be simply superb.!
shivshanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 12:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Stefan

i dont think so it will be an easy DIY job as the Dashboard is huge and will surely need help from at least a cpouple of more people.

But totally worth exploring
I've removed a dashboard on a peugeot 306, which was pretty complex probably more so than the Safari as the fit and finnish was much tighter, removing is the easy part, puting back is where it gets complex, as long as you keep all the screws separatly and mark them up you shouldn't end up with too many left overs, one day is required to remove the dashboard and front seats, two days to fix it back, job done! The only difficult part is lining up the dash for refixing this requires assistance, my wife helped me(reluctantly) last time, think if I do it I'll ask someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Stefan,
The result was amazing!! In high gears you won't feel that the engine is running and that is something very much new for safaris.

Its really worth trying, but make sure that you are well equipped.
Very tempted and have all the required tools, I could do with a workshop manual though
Old 18th June 2009, 12:43   #9
BHPian

Does anyone has Safari 2.2 workshop manual here? It would be very useful for all DIYers. I tried lot of searching for it, but could not get one.

My next target is padding all the door trims with some rubber/sponge sheet to avoid rattling. Does anyone has prior experience on the same with safari. I am bit worried because I had witnessed the workers struggling to put the door trims back in position after removing.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Can Padding be done from the engine bay side. In that way one doesn't need to remove the dash. Will it be a security risk. (fire/heat etc)
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 12:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Does anyone has Safari 2.2 workshop manual here? It would be very useful for all DIYers. I tried lot of searching for it, but could not get one.

My next target is padding all the door trims with some rubber/sponge sheet to avoid rattling. Does anyone has prior experience on the same with safari. I am bit worried because I had witnessed the workers struggling to put the door trims back in position after removing.
If you mean the door cards. they're pretty simple to put back, the first time is a little tricky the top rubber section just needs to be bent out a little to slide in, also helps if the glass is down.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LionX : My next target is padding all the door trims with some rubber/sponge sheet to avoid rattling.
Safari has rattling in the doors ?!!

Re-check. From what little I know, the noise is typically coming in from the fire-wall side & not the doors. The doors are made of sufficiently thick plates to not have such rattling. Any padding of the doors may not help you much.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Condor,

Safari doors are so heavy and huge and they never rattle except the locking mechanism is loose, get that sorted by any good denter and you whould be fine.

Issue is only the wind-noise on speeds excess of 100+
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 14:21   #14
BHPian

i find the cabin noise of the 2.2 to be within tolerable limits. 3.0 is definitely noisy. Do you need all these mods to be really done?

Last edited by chaxy : 19th June 2009 at 14:22.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 14:34   #15
BHPian

Stefan,
Yes i meant the door cards and i believe its called door trims.

Condor,
Sorry for the confusion ! What i meant by rattling is the vibration of the trims at particular RPM. The pads and glass vibrate and its more for the driver side door. I thing the door trims are not tightened after the upholstery work.

abbey4u,
Yes you can do it from engine side as well but it is more difficult i think. The engine side already has some carpet padding and it would be difficult to stick the damping material to the carpet. Another reason is that the engine side is too congusted and it will be a tough task to work on.