Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th July 2009, 03:48   #1
BHPian

Question Suspension upgrade for Dzire (Maruti Swift Dzire)

Have completed 20,000 kms on my Maruti Swift Dzire Vxi (petrol).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ations-14.html (Maruti Swift DZire - delivery on 7th April 2008 - some observations)

The only thing that I am not happy with is the suspension. The potholes on the roads are really unnerving when sitting in the rear seat. Is there any way to modify/ upgrade the suspension to improve the ride quality? Or will changing the tyres do the trick? If so, to what?
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:46   #2
BHPian

please let me know if you got the suspension changed. how much did it cost, is the ride quality better?
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:29   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1. Switch over to comfort-oriented tyres (softer sidewalls)

2. Lower the air pressure by 1 - 2 PSI only within the city.

3. Once your stock suspension wears out, you may consider after-market dampers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 14:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
please let me know if you got the suspension changed.
No. The service engineer at Khivraj, Chennai says the suspension is good and need not be changed. The thudding through the road imperfections is really annoying when I am in the back seat which is six days a week; when I drive on Sundays it is a little less noticeable but still disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Switch over to comfort-oriented tyres (softer sidewalls)
Could you please suggest Brand, model, specs etc

Quote:
2. Lower the air pressure by 1 - 2 PSI only within the city.
Tried it; no significant benefit.

Quote:
3. Once your stock suspension wears out, you may consider after-market dampers.
What exactly are dampers? I did notice that you said "after-market" - does that mean Maruti dealers will not fit it? Who will do it in Chennai? How much will it cost including labor - a rough guideline would definitely help me.

Thanks
Old 14th January 2010, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Hello,

You may want to give the below mentioned trick on your vehicle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ded-sedan.html (Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan)

Let me know if it works for you. I shall give it a try
Old 22nd January 2010, 05:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know if it works for you. I shall give it a try
Notice you have a Swift Dzire Vdi. Are you facing similar problems?
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:07   #7
BHPian

I feel, the ride to be a bit bumpy, to which MASS guys said it is been tuned that way to handle the roads in India.

Apart from that I do not feel any other problems
Old 26th January 2010, 21:21   #8
BHPian

rear seat is not as good as the front seat as its too bumpy.
better than the spine cracking swift though

Ride cannot be compared to fiesta or verna, leave alone anhc
sandygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I feel, the ride to be a bit bumpy, to which MASS guys said it is been tuned that way to handle the roads in India.

Apart from that I do not feel any other problems
I think the reason they gave is crap.A softer suspension is more suitable to Indian Roads.If he had told that it is for improved handling i would have agreed.As GTO said try to reduce tyre pressure a bit.That will surely help.Also ask your driver to slow down well in advance before the bump and take the leg off the brake pedal before the bump itself.Then roll over it smoothly at constant speed.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 16:14   #10
BHPian

The Thread i created was deleted.
Sincerly thanking all experts who gave opinions in the deleted thread.

So here I am, speaking about the problem in my Dzire.
The rear tyres got worn off after 12500 kilometers and since 10000km i have been noticing inward slant of both rear tyres. The ride became bouncy and uncomfortable. The local service station said they could not sort out the problem.

Nobody at second service noticed the problem. The problem of tyre wear was picked up by a third party water service station. Alignment checking done showed abnormal values in the toe and camber around 2 to 3 degrees on both sides. They said i will have to change the rear suspension and axles for this to get corrected.

The rear right tyre(michelin xm1+ 195/70 r 14) burst on the way to my dealer's service station. The service station guys had a look and said that they will have to wait until the engineer comes and takes a look. They said that they will have to take the opinion of experts to claim repairs under warranty.

When I said about reporting this to the company, they asked me not to do so as it would delay the process. They have given word that they will look into it soon. Since two days I have not heard from them.

The car was not driven with excess weight, nor had any jolt/hit on the side of the wheel.

What should I do?
Is it common for Dzire to have such suspension issues/ axle issues?
How should I take up this matter further?
HELP ME
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension upgrade for Dzire (Maruti Swift Dzire)-dzire.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 17:40   #11
BHPian

2 problems:

1: I see you have a VDI - means the OEM wheel RIM was 5J. Did you upgrade to alloys (atleast 5.5J) as a RIM width of atleast 5.5J is required for a 195 tyre

2. The ideal upgrade to original 165/80 tyres should have been 185/70.

Given the situation nor the car manufacturer or the tyre manufacturer would entertain the problem under warranty.

OT: I have a 2 year old petrol Dzire with 185/70 Michelin xm1+ tyres om original 5J rims with 27k on the odo without any issues. Still atleast 50% tread remains.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 18:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

sandy@ 195/70 is the wrong upsize for staters. Secondly I hope I am wrong, but if maruti wanted to run away from this 'warranty claim', they could use this as a base. Be very careful how you tread on this regarding the claiming warranty part.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 18:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
sandy@ 195/70 is the wrong upsize for staters. Secondly I hope I am wrong, but if maruti wanted to run away from this 'warranty claim', they could use this as a base. Be very careful how you tread on this regarding the claiming warranty part.
I have no intentions on claiming warranty on the tyres, nor can I do it.
The oem rims were changed to alloys as per the specification required for 195

The suspension, the axles and the rear assembly is defective.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The rear tyres got worn off after 12500 kilometers and since 10000km i have been noticing inward slant of both rear tyres. The ride became bouncy and uncomfortable. The local service station said they could not sort out the problem.

Nobody at second service noticed the problem. The problem of tyre wear was picked up by a third party water service station. Alignment checking done showed abnormal values in the toe and camber around 2 to 3 degrees on both sides. They said i will have to change the rear suspension and axles for this to get corrected.
Take a second opinion on the problem from a different, reputed service centre, which should have a good inhouse wheel alignment facility anyways.

Is there provision for camber and toe adjustments for the rear wheels of the Dzire in the first place, I wonder ? These adjustments are usually provided only in the front wheels of most cars, I thought.

Worn out wheel bearings at the rear wheels could be the root cause of all problems, maybe ?
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:28   #15
BHPian

@ sandy: 195/70 size tyres are increasing the overall diameter - which will result in wrongful km/speed readings but may not cause uneven wear as stated. Also as mooza stated there are no camber and toe adjustments for the rear wheels of swift/dzire.

Please dig deeper - what does your tyre supplier have to say? he should have been the 1st person you should have visited.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote