Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th October 2010, 11:53   #151
BHPian

Blowups are not usually because of the lack of forged internals. You can blow up forged internals also.

Yes you are right the absolute safe limit is 6-7psi. I said 10-12psi with good tuning. Here the key is really really good tuning. Otherwise stick to 6-7psi with a good tune.

If you are going to have a street car, just go with the turbo and low boost for now, till you get a reliable car for sometime. Just choose the components wisely for you final BHP target and you can go high boost later with just internals added. You will have a system that will suit your needs, if you plan wisely. Even with 6 or 7 psi it gonna be a fun car.

I would go forged only if I am targeting very high levels of boost of around 20psi or more. Makes sense to build ground up and go all out.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 22:09   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Blowups are not usually because of the lack of forged internals. You can blow up forged internals also.

Yes you are right the absolute safe limit is 6-7psi. I said 10-12psi with good tuning. Here the key is really really good tuning. Otherwise stick to 6-7psi with a good tune.

If you are going to have a street car, just go with the turbo and low boost for now, till you get a reliable car for sometime. Just choose the components wisely for you final BHP target and you can go high boost later with just internals added. You will have a system that will suit your needs, if you plan wisely. Even with 6 or 7 psi it gonna be a fun car.

I would go forged only if I am targeting very high levels of boost of around 20psi or more. Makes sense to build ground up and go all out.

Good tuning is relative. I do not wish to take chances, that is one thing for sure. I am looking at a car which will beat the c*** out of many a car costing 10 times as much (ok 5-7 times as much )

I have had enough experimentation. This time around I am going for a build that will kick-a** so to say !!

Do remember this is for the "Boy" in me. Reality is it takes quite a bit of breath to blow ALL the candles on my birthday cake !

Many thanks for your suggestions !!!!!

Still waiting for the numbers from Phil

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 02:08   #153
BHPian

hey pranav,yes its nikhil,to you ricky as someone already suggested that tuning is the key,that is so well said,i doesnt matter what internal's you use,forged internal's come with their batch of worries,such as different piston to wall clearances,if your using a stroker then optimum rod stroke ratio,good head job which also includes works on the combustion chamber to get rid of hot spots etc etc,the machining should be done keeping in mind the target horsepower,if you running x amount of boost currently and would like to push the boost higher as the funds flow in then the piston to wall clerances,ring gaps,bearing clearances etc need to be kept accordingly,so as you said you've left the technical aspect to your tuner,may you have the best,but please remember as mentioned here already,going forged allows you to push your engine further,if pushed in the wrong way even forged internals give up,just my two cents,hope this helps,cheers..!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 08:20   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
hey pranav,yes its nikhil,to you ricky as someone already suggested that tuning is the key,that is so well said,i doesnt matter what internal's you use,forged internal's come with their batch of worries,such as different piston to wall clearances,if your using a stroker then optimum rod stroke ratio,good head job which also includes works on the combustion chamber to get rid of hot spots etc etc,the machining should be done keeping in mind the target horsepower,if you running x amount of boost currently and would like to push the boost higher as the funds flow in then the piston to wall clerances,ring gaps,bearing clearances etc need to be kept accordingly,so as you said you've left the technical aspect to your tuner,may you have the best,but please remember as mentioned here already,going forged allows you to push your engine further,if pushed in the wrong way even forged internals give up,just my two cents,hope this helps,cheers..!

Nikhil,

Could not be more right. Ricky please address the intake issue which is the weak link in a swift. If you have access to any swift dyno charts you will observe that the torque starts dropping after about 5000 RPM. You should ideally go with a diff intake manifold.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 14th October 2010 at 08:22.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 15:45   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post

Thanks for your advise. Though I do not quite agree when you say that "it does NOT matter what internals one uses" Now that does not quite sound right - to me.

The rest of what you said makes sense totally, would you really think it is a waste to spend on forged internals ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Nikhil,

Could not be more right. Ricky please address the intake issue which is the weak link in a swift. If you have access to any swift dyno charts you will observe that the torque starts dropping after about 5000 RPM. You should ideally go with a diff intake manifold.

Viper

I am sure Phil would look into the intake issue, I have seen enough of his work, which instills confidence, and THAT is the only reason I am going with this build.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers
Old 14th October 2010, 15:48   #156
BHPian

@viper : what intake do you suggest mate? i was thinking throttle bodies with a plenium. what do you think...?
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 15:57   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
@viper : what intake do you suggest mate? i was thinking throttle bodies with a plenium. what do you think...?

Nice to see you on the forum after a long long time

Oh ok - so now it is $$++ Never mind, just make it rock 'n' roll buddy !! So that Redline2 has a Red car winning !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th October 2010 at 16:00.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:03   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
Hi Phil,

Do you mean ITB's then that's the way to go. Else would suggest oversize valves, coupled with a intake manifold of a baleno or esteem and a larger throttle body. That should make you some good power.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 20:34   #159
Senior - BHPian

Lol. A plenum will kill the advantage you have of direct intake for each of the runners. Getting good routing inside these cramped engine bays will be next to impossible and it'll only hurt velocity which is of utmost importance with ITBs since the bottom end of the rev range is already going to be bad and you _NEED_ velocity in an ITB setup.

Quote:
Thanks for your advise. Though I do not quite agree when you say that "it does NOT matter what internals one uses" Now that does not quite sound right - to me.

The rest of what you said makes sense totally, would you really think it is a waste to spend on forged internals ??
Taken out of context. Forged parts are an insurance for a mild turbo build and a necessity for an all-out turbo build. And in either case, the tuner is the most important factor that makes or breaks the build. I do not know how much whp/bhp these engines can hold with stock internals so it depends on what your power goals are. And if you want to win in the drags with a mildly boosted 1.3l, then the rest of the cars have to be seriously weak.

Wouldn't put it past Delhiites though, there are more LEDs, chrome badges and stickers on the cars than parts which actually add/make any power.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 21:19   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Lol. A plenum will kill the advantage you have of direct intake for each of the runners. Getting good routing inside these cramped engine bays will be next to impossible and it'll only hurt velocity which is of utmost importance with ITBs since the bottom end of the rev range is already going to be bad and you _NEED_ velocity in an ITB setup.

Taken out of context. Forged parts are an insurance for a mild turbo build and a necessity for an all-out turbo build. And in either case, the tuner is the most important factor that makes or breaks the build. I do not know how much whp/bhp these engines can hold with stock internals so it depends on what your power goals are. And if you want to win in the drags with a mildly boosted 1.3l, then the rest of the cars have to be seriously weak.

Wouldn't put it past Delhiites though, there are more LEDs, chrome badges and stickers on the cars than parts which actually add/make any power.

I profoundly respect your knowledge, but DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE Delhites. There are many of us who are not into LED's & chrome (least of all me). Kindly do not be harsh on Delhi

There is a certain section who is only interested in B L I N G..flashing all they got & more, but then that does not hold true for me at all

Afterall this is where the F1 track is coming up.

No disrespect please. I have NO intention of running drags, I'm way past that stage :-) The forged internals as an insurance I understand. Who knows what the future holds, I may actually end up with the fastest 1.3L Swift, whatever it takes. I have to trust someone knowledgeable, in my case that is Phil.

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th October 2010 at 21:29.
Old 15th October 2010, 14:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Who knows what the future holds, I may actually end up with the fastest 1.3L
On a strip its more like fastest 1.3 which will go to the e-zens or fastest swift which will go to the g16/g15 turbo/nitrous swift .. Fastest 1.3 swift still wont be faster than either of the two .. !
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 17:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
On a strip its more like fastest 1.3 which will go to the e-zens or fastest swift which will go to the g16/g15 turbo/nitrous swift .. Fastest 1.3 swift still wont be faster than either of the two .. !

I stand corrected. Maybe not the fastest Swift but amongst the fastest 1.3L Swifts. If even that does not quite cut it, I'm happy with one of the fast-er Swifts

I do understand that the bigger engines with TC etc will be faster than mine. So be it. I am not here to compete with anyone, just want a car that is fast enough for me.

Thanks for your comment

Cheers
Old 20th October 2010, 21:26   #163
Senior - BHPian

Got "some" indications today from the busy bee Phil today. Seems like our target numbers should beat the C*** out of maybe the T-Jet, ANHC, Civic, and many others.

The numbers are yet to come in. So that would really decide the fate of the build. Fast is one thing but "insanely fast" is quite another.

The "proposal" would entail a new suspension & I just changed my struts.

I may have to go in the stage 1 & stage 2 fashion considering that the anticipated expense is already giving me sleepless nights !!! After seeing the recent crop of builds Phil has done, I have no doubt that this should R O C K !

Will keep this thread updated. Wish me luck !!!!

Cheerio

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 20th October 2010 at 21:29.
Old 21st October 2010, 18:23   #164
Senior - BHPian

Cool So it is final - it is going for a little fan !!!

Stage 1 turbo build for now. Ordering parts in the next day or so. The cost of going forged is huge, so I shall go with stock internals for now & maybe go for forged internals at a later date (if at all).

So Turbo, Intercooler, BOV, Silicon hoses, new air intake, new exhaust, an ECU, FPR, Sports clutch. So far that is the plan.

After running the car with stock suspension, (which I suspect may not hold the anticipated power rush) will take a call on changing the suspension. I have new brake pads & they have good stopping power. So will look into that & other little things later...

Lo & behold - yet another FIRST, on the FIRST, from the SPEEDSPORT stable. A Turbo charged Swift

Cheers
Old 27th October 2010, 19:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Cool South East Asia - why ??

Order placed & advance paid on 22/10. Next thing I knew Phil had a ticket to South East Asia So he is probably "shopping" but the Million $ question is for what

The suspense is well kind of hard to handle !!! Looking forward to the parts coming in, & the car getting it's little fan & plumbing & who knows what else.

Will keep the thread updated as & when something comes up !!

Cheers