Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 15th July 2009, 15:46   #1
BHPian

Post Fitting an Automatic Transmission on 1.6 Ford Ikon

Hi all,

This is my first post on TBHP, thought I have been associated as an member for a while, Excuse me for not participating actively.

I have been in the look out to fit in an automatic transmission on my 1.6 Ford Ikon. Ford never made vehicles with AT in india until the last few months.

In other countries I have heard / seen Ford cars with AT. Now my queries are.

1. What would be the best gearbox(AT) that will fit on the 1.6.

2. Am not looking at buying a new one, But a re-furbished one. Its what we get in pudupet ( People in chennai will understand.)

3. Some of the options available are the gearbox of Cielo, Toyota, Santro, Exteen. They are available at around 10 K.

4. Will the above suit 1.6 Ikon, Expert advice please. To my knowledge, i believe the engine cubic capacity, RPM range needs to match , failing which the gear ratios would not be appropriate and the vehicle would either be sluggish or might roar more than requried.

can you advice on this. Has any one here tried this mod?

Latest update that I have is to try making use of the 4 speed gearbox ( AT) used in ford focus. Seems to have the same engine.

Regards,
Vijay.

Mods: I was not able to find any forum related to this. Please can you move it the appropriate one if any. Many thanks.
vijay_n81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 18:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't waste your time. In all probability, the install will cost you more than what your car is worth today, and will lead to many niggles, breakdowns and headaches. You are better off selling the Ikon and buying a new automatic car. If budget is a restriction, look out for used automatic Honda Citys. Factory fit is factory fit. Period.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 18:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Best option would be to sell the car and hunt for the best automatic available for your budget . used options available might be OHC auto,santro auto,NHC cvt,civic,corolla,accord,camry.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th July 2009 at 18:49.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Default Its not about picking up a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Best option would be to sell the car and hunt for the best automatic available for your budget . used options available might be OHC auto,santro auto,NHC cvt,civic,corolla,accord,camry.
Thanks, Its not about picking up a new one. I am already in plans of picking up a new vehicle next month. I am kind of fixed to pick up a Safari EX (4 X 4).

I have had my ikon now for 4 years and would not want to sell. 2.5 lakhs is all that it can fetch and I would prefer to retain it.

I also have a Swift, but its under warranty and donot want to play with it.

The cost of the Auto gear is only around max 15 K. But what I am trying to understand here is, if its possible and if yes, what is that you would suggest.

Worst case, if your advice is not to go for the conversion, I would remain with the MT and think of Civic / Corolla or may be Laura to have an AT.
Old 15th July 2009, 19:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

agreed on the above, and you would need an ecu as well. which would be very hard to source.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 19:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

@vijay n81 ,i would suggest you to stay away from the idea of conversion,which in most probablity will rob you of peace of mind.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 19:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

You will need an automatic transmission with torque converter that mates with your engine at the crank, an ECU that can control the transmission if it is modern, or the control unit for the hydraulics if its an old system, shifter column and assorted bits and bobs, different axles/drive shafts, possibly custom make all the different pieces at the wheels if the new driveshafts foul, thanks to front wheel drive...

It is a complicated and expensive proposition. Near impossible if the vehicle never originally came with an A/T option, which makes a lot of things one off custom work. You can try one of those autoclutch thingies - there is a review of one here on TBHP. It may not be as good as a real A/T, but it is a feasible alternative.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:15   #8
BHPian

Default Thankyou

Thankyou all,
That was an eye opener, I have now dropped the idea of modifying the transmission.

However if anyone on the forum gets an idea on how to do it, please let me know, I would be happy to take it over then.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am glad you did. In addition to what @ImmortalZ stated you may also require a different radiator. My old Zen AT (1997 - carb) used different radiator with the bottom part functioning as an Oil Cooler for the transmission. Obviously there were a couple of additional hoses for this and the bottom radiator hose was also different.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th July 2009 at 10:27.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 15:47   #10
BHPian

Ah! Here is something I was considering doing myself till a few months ago. The Indian Ikon's UK version, the late '90s/early '00s mk5 Ford Fiesta, did have a few A/t versions in different engine sizes (including diesel, I believe). I was considering bringing a reconditioned A/t gearbox along with other electrical & mechanical ancillaries and mating it to a used 1.8D Ikon in India. Theoretically, this is possible. But the price of a good condition 1.8D Ikon Nxt coupled with the cost of the parts plus the import formalities made me think again.

I was looking for a mid-size diesel saloon in India with A/t, mainly for my father. The cheapest automatic option available in India was (this was less than a year ago) way over my budget. To cut a long story short, I managed to convince my dad to go for a manual and that explains the Fiat Linea MJD that currently sits in our driveway.

I haven seen a few mk5 1.6 Fiestas in the U.K, but none with automatic transmission. Most of them are 1.25 run-abouts chosen for their cheap insurance.

vijay_n81: My advice? Not worth the hassle. Best to forget the idea.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 24th July 2009 at 15:49.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Vijay, get a driver. LOL.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote