Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 17:36   #151
Dex
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

There is an outlet in Noida who does this well and uses Waxoyl. Check them out at Welcome To www.exppresscarwash.in

My 1 year old Linea (BossaNova White) with several dust scratches and lost shine is restored really well through their paint protection. They also offer a 1 year warranty on this.

The issue with clear coat rubbing off will exist anyway, but the paint looks lot better now.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 23:58   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 857
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

There is a new Diamond brite franchise in Bangalore. It is on Thindlu main road, Vidyaranyapura. I haven't met the owner though, but the boards promise the original thing.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 19:16   #153
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Buying a car after 12 years an XUV-500. Dealer (in Delhi) is offering Waxoyl 100 plus sealant, underbody protection, motor care, engine lacquer, and cavity waxing for Rs. 9999.

The board seems to frown on paint sealants, but so many members seem to swear by them. I'm inclined to say no, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for your time, attention, and for humouring a newbie.
walchan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 07:14   #154
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchan99 View Post
Buying a car after 12 years an XUV-500. Dealer (in Delhi) is offering Waxoyl 100 plus sealant, underbody protection, motor care, engine lacquer, and cavity waxing for Rs. 9999.

The board seems to frown on paint sealants, but so many members seem to swear by them. I'm inclined to say no, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for your time, attention, and for humouring a newbie.
Waxyol is a Safe product. Doesnt involve using a rubbing compound that cuts a thin layer of the clear coat. it gives a good long lasting shine and seals the paint against vagaries of nature.

underbody protection is basically spraying of a gum like chemical on the underbody. this acts as a noise dampener as well as provides a cushion against stone hits

engine lacquer is basically to keep the engine look Brand new even after several years. this is a spray on and any engine treated with this can be cleaned with a mere water spray, and the engine will look as good as it was on the date of delivery

cavity waxing isnt required as the metal sheets now a days are not prone to corrosion that early

motor care and engine laquer are the same.
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 18:59   #155
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 587
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
3M - uses a 3 step technique wherein a mild abrasive is used to clean and polish the surface, then a synthetic resin is used to perapre the surface and lastly the glaze is used to shine the surface. IMHO and as per the information given to me by Paint specialists, results in cutting of the clear coat by about 5-7 microns. factory finished clear coat surfaces are normally about 40-50 microns and the mild fine liquid rubbing compound cuts off a bit of this clear coat which IMHO isnt very desirable. secondly helpless against Bird droppings. had done 3M coating on my sx4 and a bird dropping resulted in a cracked up kind of surface on the clear coat. this is a Good to have product
Apologies for pulling out the old opening post of this thread. While it lays out nicely on why Waxoyl's program for new cars is good, I don't think what you have mentioned is completely true in case of 3M paint protection programs for cars less than 6 months especially if done at 3M stores like the one in Chennai. If you check the tbhp chennai directory, you will find quite a few Bhpians have done paint protection at 3M store and they can correct me. For newer cars (less than 6 months with not much swirlmarks), 3M does not use rubbing compounds/glazes but only a single step sealant. 3M's warranty is for an year.

However, at most dealership/service stations, the various things like simple application of wax to single step sealant to rubbing and polishing gets tagged as 3M paint protection/teflon quoting and one is never sure.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 06:51   #156
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Apologies for pulling out the old opening post of this thread. While it lays out nicely on why Waxoyl's program for new cars is good, I don't think what you have mentioned is completely true in case of 3M paint protection programs for cars less than 6 months especially if done at 3M stores like the one in Chennai. If you check the tbhp chennai directory, you will find quite a few Bhpians have done paint protection at 3M store and they can correct me. For newer cars (less than 6 months with not much swirlmarks), 3M does not use rubbing compounds/glazes but only a single step sealant. 3M's warranty is for an year.

However, at most dealership/service stations, the various things like simple application of wax to single step sealant to rubbing and polishing gets tagged as 3M paint protection/teflon quoting and one is never sure.
Well, Please see my Signature Line for the Number of Cars that i have owned. Except for the SX4 that was done up by 3M all the others were done by Waxoyl.

i have gone through their entire process by standing right next to them and testing all the chemicals used. 3M does use a Mild Rubbing Compound which is in the nature of a coarse liquid.. if you are unsure as to what Chemicals are used, there is a online ordering facility, where you will recieve the entire kit in Home Use Containers which i have purchased to confirm my Analysis.

Ofcourse at dealerships, the job is normally a liquid wax polish or Instant Shiners which are tagged as Teflon etc.

There is no Single Step Paint Sealant. its normally a 3 Stage and above.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 12:55   #157
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 587
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Well, Please see my Signature Line for the Number of Cars that i have owned. Except for the SX4 that was done up by 3M all the others were done by Waxoyl.

i have gone through their entire process by standing right next to them and testing all the chemicals used. 3M does use a Mild Rubbing Compound which is in the nature of a coarse liquid.. if you are unsure as to what Chemicals are used, there is a online ordering facility, where you will recieve the entire kit in Home Use Containers which i have purchased to confirm my Analysis.

Ofcourse at dealerships, the job is normally a liquid wax polish or Instant Shiners which are tagged as Teflon etc.

There is no Single Step Paint Sealant. its normally a 3 Stage and above.
Your thread was an eye opener for me and many others. Considering that 3M agents at different service stations don't necessarily follow the right step, I would be vary of doing 3M paint protection at any dealership other than their very own professional car car centers.I also don't contest your experience with waxoyl being better and safer to do it anywhere .

My only point is that at least at 3M's own car center (which have opened recently), they don't seem to use rubbing compounds on new cars. Please refer to the below thread where Bhpians like MutantX and others have done the 3M paint protection at 3M owned Car center in Chennai and explained the step by step process. I have also spoken to MutantX and confirmed that it was indeed a single step after washing and claying.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...ml#post2619212 (3M Car Care (Chennai))
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 13:16   #158
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Your thread was an eye opener for me and many others. Considering that 3M agents at different service stations don't necessarily follow the right step, I would be vary of doing 3M paint protection at any dealership other than their very own professional car car centers.I also don't contest your experience with waxoyl being better and safer to do it anywhere .

My only point is that at least at 3M's own car center (which have opened recently), they don't seem to use rubbing compounds on new cars. Please refer to the below thread where Bhpians like MutantX and others have done the 3M paint protection at 3M owned Car center in Chennai and explained the step by step process. I have also spoken to MutantX and confirmed that it was indeed a single step after washing and claying.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...ml#post2619212 (3M Car Care (Chennai))
Sridhar. No hard feelings about contesting or not contesting my experiences. i have not experienced 3M's Own Car Care Centre, but have quite a lot of experiences with Franchisees who have technicians trained by 3M.

again claybar is not to be used on New Cars. its strips the paintwork of the factory polish according to the Paint refinishing experts at BASF which is the OE Paint supplier to quite a few Auto Companies in India.

Single Step ? as in No Gloss- Finisher along with Orbital Polisher with new Cotton Pads was used ?
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 13:22   #159
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 587
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Single Step ? as in No Gloss- Finisher along with Orbital Polisher with new Cotton Pads was used ?
Yes. after claying, this is what they seem to do. If the new car has many swirl marks, which most show room cars seems to have these days, or more than 6 months they suggest their full fledged treatment that matches with your opening posts.

As regards to claying, the same was mentioned to me by a technicians at Privilege carz spa in Chennai while regular claying is recommended in tbhps car detailing thread as a mechanism to remove bonded contaminants. Are there two different schools of thought?
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 18:40   #160
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 407
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Can anyone advice on a complete detailing and wash-wax 3M place around Noida/South Delhi? I just received a 3 application a year quote from BMW for 12k! I feel this is steep Nd would rather look outside for wash-wax.

Unfortunately I live in a high rise apartment so can't wash and wax myself due to non availability of any such facility in basement. Many thanks in advance for your help.
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 20:07   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,366
Thanked: 6,218 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Apologies for pulling out the old opening post of this thread. While it lays out nicely on why Waxoyl's program for new cars is good, I don't think what you have mentioned is completely true in case of 3M paint protection programs for cars less than 6 months especially if done at 3M stores like the one in Chennai.
Indeed, they have different programs for new and older cars. New paintwork is not abraded in any way, just cleaned and sealed. The result is a deep gloss and a smooth feel that actually does improve the look of a brand-new car.

As I may well have already posted in this thread, I have no time for the teflon treatments. If effective at all, all they do is make the car a bit easier to clean --- like a nonstick saucepan!

New kid on this block is the 3m body film. This can even give some protection against very minor scratches and chips. I read it was going to be available in India. Any information?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 07:50   #162
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Yes. after claying, this is what they seem to do. If the new car has many swirl marks, which most show room cars seems to have these days, or more than 6 months they suggest their full fledged treatment that matches with your opening posts.

As regards to claying, the same was mentioned to me by a technicians at Privilege carz spa in Chennai while regular claying is recommended in tbhps car detailing thread as a mechanism to remove bonded contaminants. Are there two different schools of thought?
Showroom Cars have swirl marks because of 2 factors - the Housekeeping Staff are lazy to use a damp microfibre cloth to clean the cars of the dust. they normally use these cheap yellow polishing cloths that are available in fuel stations at 15/- and they dont even wet them.

factor two is the visitors to the showroom, who touch and feel the cars, and any dust on the vehicles contributes to these swirl marks

Claying is recomended to those cars that have seen the road for atleast 6 months. Bonded contaminants normally are tar, diesel exhaust particles, insects, bird droppings etc, which wont be on a car that has left the plant in a closed container with protective plastic covering on the bonnets, roof etc. Plus bear in mind that a glazing solution is used in the plant before the car leaves the factory. claying is recomended only after the car has spent quite some time on the road and has been exposed to the elements mentioned above. in the intervening period if waxing, washing etc has been done without proper eye to detail, the contaminants would have gotten bonded and these need to be stripped with a clay bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Indeed, they have different programs for new and older cars. New paintwork is not abraded in any way, just cleaned and sealed. The result is a deep gloss and a smooth feel that actually does improve the look of a brand-new car.

As I may well have already posted in this thread, I have no time for the teflon treatments. If effective at all, all they do is make the car a bit easier to clean --- like a nonstick saucepan!

New kid on this block is the 3m body film. This can even give some protection against very minor scratches and chips. I read it was going to be available in India. Any information?
3M body film, ive heard about it. considering the Indian heat, hope it doesnt yellow like the plastic sticker (on the rear fender/ door sill) on most swifts.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 09:15   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

New kid on this block is the 3m body film. This can even give some protection against very minor scratches and chips. I read it was going to be available in India. Any information?
It is available in India now. I was given a demo and offered it when I went to 3M HSR Layout for paint protection done on my car. The price is on signifiantly higher side though. It costs 500 rupees per sq. feet (plus taxes). For an entire mid-size car it comes to about 50000 rupees. They recommeded to get it done on places like door handles, bumper corners etc. I didnt go for it though.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 13:21   #164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,366
Thanked: 6,218 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

I wonder how it will look and feel after a few years? It is hard to imagine a plastic film being as hard as the paint surface. Well, I guess that the vast 3m company probably has the world's best materials scientists. I wouldn't like to be an early adopter --- although early here only, it has been around in USA for a while.
Quote:
considering the Indian heat, hope it doesnt yellow like the plastic sticker (on the rear fender/ door sill) on most swifts.
Never been to USA, but they tell me it's big and, like India, has a huge range of climates including intense desert heat. My Chicago friend tells me that it gets as hot there, in the summer, as Chennai, but with winter temperatures dropping to minus double figures. A Chicago car has to withstand more extremes than a Chennai car!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 13:54   #165
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,221
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: 3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder how it will look and feel after a few years? It is hard to imagine a plastic film being as hard as the paint surface. Well, I guess that the vast 3m company probably has the world's best materials scientists. I wouldn't like to be an early adopter --- although early here only, it has been around in USA for a while.
Heres a pic of such a film that got yellowed. Source is vwfansclub forum (actual source is ACI forum probably)


I am not sure if it is the 3m film that we are talking about here. But it does look bad really!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt? a4_attitude Modifications & Accessories 42 12th April 2016 10:31
Sikken paint or dupont? madbullram Modifications & Accessories 17 26th May 2011 03:05
Which 2k cobra paint for santro? Dupont, deltron or ICI? sidindica Technical Stuff 5 9th December 2009 17:11
WAXOYL Paint Protection PankajP Modifications & Accessories 4 9th June 2008 14:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks