Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:50   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Need Advice on installation of Lights on Roof/hood.

Need Advice on Installation of Lights on Hood/roof of the car

Please let me know is it legal to install Lights on the hood/roof of the car or any special permission is required from the respective RTO in regards to the same ,if so please let me know what is the procedure of the same.

I was not able to get specific information after searching on Indian Motor act 1988,

Thanks
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:43   #2
BHPian
 
forbhaskarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 214
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

I think it is illegal to install lights above the roof line of the car. But I have seen quite a few Scorpios/Safari's/Innova's driving around in Delhi NCR with such installations.

So not sure if traffic laws have been modified or on a lighter side, its just not the correct season for the traffic police to 'challan' for such offence.

Anyone on the forum who has installed such fog lights may please throw some light here.
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,270
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Anything above the level of the OEM headlights is illegal as far as I know. At least in Bangalore, you WILL get stopped sooner or later and fined by the RTO squads.

That's why very very few cars/SUVs sport such lights here!
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:51   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
Need Advice on Installation of Lights on Hood/roof of the car

Please let me know is it legal to install Lights on the hood/roof of the car or any special permission is required from the respective RTO in regards to the same ,if so please let me know what is the procedure of the same.

I was not able to get specific information after searching on Indian Motor act 1988,

Thanks
as per Indian Motor Act you cannot fix/install any extra lights above the OEM light level.

the fog lamps are always fixed under the OEM lights and are to be used only in case of dense fog with main headlights switched off!

extra fitted fog lamps have to be covered when they are not in use.

otherwsie you can fit extra lights anywhere on your vehicle till the day you are not caught or fined!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:28   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
as per Indian Motor Act you cannot fix/install any extra lights above the OEM light level.

the fog lamps are always fixed under the OEM lights and are to be used only in case of dense fog with main headlights switched off!

extra fitted fog lamps have to be covered when they are not in use.

otherwsie you can fit extra lights anywhere on your vehicle till the day you are not caught or fined!
Dear Parm,

Thanks for the information but i was going through Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

& I couldn't find any such listing,please help me in case you know where can i find this information or may be police &traffic person's are fining person's without any clause,but who will fight them in case of one challan

Thanks any way.
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Any light installed, which is above the top line of the originally installed HLs are illegal. But then it is a question of enforcement which is seldom done.

As Parm said, even when you install extra lights in guise of fog lamps, they have to be kept covered and have to be only used when such a situation arises and not otherwise.

But again, these are not followed, as we majorly lack civic sense. Having said that, I'm no saint. I post the picture of my steed:

Name:  ScorpRoofLights.jpg
Views: 6144
Size:  33.6 KB

I've got away saying that this vehicle is a limited edition and the lights came compnay fitted. To be honest, I don't use these lights in the city, as my other fellow TBHPians would vouch who have seen me driving in the night. I only drive with the bumper lights switched on and use the HLs only if required.

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd August 2009 at 21:19.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:21   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Thank you

GD Sir,

I got the trick of the Trade.

Thanks & Regards



Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Any light installed, which is above the top line of the originally installed HLs are illegal. But then it is a question of enforcement which is seldom done.

As Parm said, even when you install extra lights in guise of fog lamps, they have to be kept covered and have to be only used when such a situation arises and not otherwise.

But again, these are not followed, as we majorly lack civic sense. Having said that, I'm no saint. I post the picture of my steed:

Attachment 169310

I've got away saying that this vehicle is a limited edition and the lights came compnay fitted. To be honest, I don't use these lights in the city, as my other fellow TBHPians would vouch who have seen me driving in the night. I only drive with the bumper lights switched on and use the HLs only if required.
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:23   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

the xenon comes with roof lights as a factory option - what about them ?

btw, you might want to have a look at
http://www.araiindia.com/Cpanel/Imag...%20AIS-008.pdf

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th August 2009 at 11:25.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the xenon comes with roof lights as a factory option - what about them ?
I don't think the roof lights are standard equipment - they are sold as accessories. Check out Memo's pics on his thread - he didn't have them initially.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 12:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,161
Thanked: 3,756 Times
Default

Remember if you mount lights high they will only serve to blind the oncoming vehicles. I have used fogs in the past and had mounted them on the bumper, or in the sheet metal at about teh same level. Putting fogs even lower ill be even better, but then the risk of breakage is vey high.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 13:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

I disagree. Roof lights if half-decently mounted blind much lesser than most headlights and provide much more usable light (from exp with a shoulder level spot beams on a bike)

Take the stupid design of the Santro Xing headlights. Illuminates crap and disperses most of it. Add in 90/100s and its by far the most blinding/irritating small car around. Way below waist level and singularly blinding.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 13:41   #12
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Yes, Santros have very bright light for oncoming traffic, i am always confused whether the other guy is driving on high beam or low beam.

Not sure about the rules, but some of my friends who have installed the lights on the roof always keep them covered and use them only in their off roading trips.
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 14:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,161
Thanked: 3,756 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I disagree. Roof lights if half-decently mounted blind much lesser than most headlights and provide much more usable light (from exp with a shoulder level spot beams on a bike)
Well then the road transport regulations globally are totally off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Take the stupid design of the Santro Xing headlights. Illuminates crap and disperses most of it. Add in 90/100s and its by far the most blinding/irritating small car around. Way below waist level and singularly blinding.
Having owned a Santro for the past four years I beg to differ. The lights are pretty decent.

Also, 90/100 are ILLEGAL. So if you break the law in the first place then obviously whether they are blinding or not is secondary.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 15:04   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
.....
Take the stupid design of the Santro Xing headlights. Illuminates crap and disperses most of it. Add in 90/100s and its by far the most blinding/irritating small car around. Way below waist level and singularly blinding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Yes, Santros have very bright light for oncoming traffic, i am always confused whether the other guy is driving on high beam or low beam.
+1 to what both of you have mentioned. I owned a Santro for 5+ years and never thought about this. But now that I drive a S10, I know how 'blinding' Santro lights are. Almost impossible to figure out if it's low/hi-beam

Coming back to the topic, even I am thinking of putting in extra lights on my Gypsy -- would be useful.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 15:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

sg ji,

I am talking basic physics here. It does NOT depend on the altitude, but the direction of mounting matters as much, no? I am not talking regulations here, but common sense. I of course being a practical person cannot play rulebook rulebook here!

It's obvious as a santrowale you wouldn't agree. I'd just ONCE request you to do the following:
a. face up a Santro Xing (old one was better) with 90/100s. Its blinding. Not just me - the thread says so.
b. Fit the same lamps in a swift - the illumination is vastly better.

I'd love to hear your perspective after you're done with the above.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do we need to keep the hood up to cool the engine after a long drive? sibitg Technical Stuff 116 20th October 2016 04:14
Lousy installation of MGA roof spoiler by Popular Killipalam (Maruti dealer) Sankar Modifications & Accessories 11 18th September 2014 19:19
Installing roof racks without factory roof railings hellmet Technical Stuff 13 8th March 2013 10:49
Viper 1002 installation advice need Rajujey Modifications & Accessories 0 24th June 2008 20:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks