Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 12:52   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Locking steering column

I have a doubt about the steering locks.

In Santro, with the standard car we can lock the steering wheel. Couple of times, it got locked in Petrol stations and I was not able to steer the car.

How different is that from the steering locks that we hear in these forums ?? Will that deter ( or delay) thief from stealing the car (if the steering is locked with the standard key) ??
gopichinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,727
Thanked: 88,973 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
In Santro, with the standard car we can lock the steering wheel. Couple of times, it got locked in Petrol stations and I was not able to steer the car.
You obviously don't mean while driving, do you? If it got locked, while stationary at the pump, that's how it is supposed to work. However, your Santro steering should never lock when the ignition key is in place.

Quote:
How different is that from the steering locks that we hear in these forums ?? Will that deter ( or delay) thief from stealing the car (if the steering is locked with the standard key) ??
The other type of steering lock that we refer to, is also known as the "grip lock" (don't ask me why). It is basically a long iron rod that locks the clutch / brake pedal at one end, and the steering at another.

Example:

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  44.4 KB
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:29   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,661 Times
Default

I have always had a doubt about these locks.

They are made of hardened steel, but what about the steering wheel.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:32   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have always had a doubt about these locks.

They are made of hardened steel, but what about the steering wheel.
Ohh that can be taken care off if the blow is hard enough
Again that will shake up atleast some sensors which would make the autocop wake up the neighbourhood.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 17:19   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You obviously don't mean while driving, do you? If it got locked, while stationary at the pump, that's how it is supposed to work. However, your Santro steering should never lock when the ignition key is in place.
No, it didn't lock while driving. It got locked when I took the keys while I stopped the car. When I tried to start the car, I was not able to start the car and steer the car. Initially, I thought that it was a malfunction, as I was not aware of that functionality. Later, learnt that it was a kind of steering lock.
If even Santro has that, then all higher end should have them by default. Then why people in this forum want to buy a separate steering lock..
gopichinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:44   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,661 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
Then why people in this forum want to buy a separate steering lock..
1. All cars have it, so all car theives know how to break it.
2. The same key as the rest of the car. This becomes especially critical in UV's like the Bolero. Thieves steal the fuel door, use it to forge a key and gain access.
3. People like carrying an extra key with them.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front wheel .steering column ticking sound.. Need urgent help!! DRC Technical Stuff 34 27th April 2015 11:31
thudding noise in steering column of 980kms driven dzire vdi mountainblood Technical Stuff 12 28th May 2008 11:25
Steering column collapse Lukeskywalker Technical Stuff 12 13th July 2007 20:33
Collapsible steering column for ALTO dsinz Technical Stuff 2 13th September 2006 17:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks