Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 24th August 2009, 21:27   #1
BANNED

Default Zen Carb for a VW

Hi Guys,

A Strange set up and a stranger request for info from some technical experts on the Forum

Firstly the topic for discussion is the "Zen Carb" used in a 1600 Rear Wheel driven , Cylindrically opposed Twin Port-Two sided Aircooled engine VW Bus.

I have ditched the original 34 PICT -2 VW Carb (Pathetic FE~5 kmpl) and have gone in and modified the Intake Manifold so that i can fit in a better carburetter (ZEN) only for the reason of getting a better carburation and FE.

Firstly = Am i right in doing so ( I dont care about the originality- For me practicality is more important than the vehicle being a show piece), how can i better it?

Secondly = What are the the lop-sided effects / advantages of using this set-up .Presently the Bus is running fine without any issues, the Secondary butterfly is been disabled presently (Will this pose a problem)

The third problem that i am facing right now is the vehicle is running RICH (making me poorer) with a low FE.

Request guys with information to kindly contribute. Thanks in advance for all your help.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 12:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes you can but it will require re-jetting to get it to work well. You could also look at the conti carb as another option.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 21:44   #3
BANNED

Would the Conti Carb fit the flange base meant for the Zen carb?

If using the same Zen carb, what do i do with jetting, what sizes do you suggest.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote