Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th August 2009, 10:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IIRC, Viper's OHC (search forum) was converted to rear disc. He switched back within a short while due to problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
The mod scene in india is improving leaps and bounds and one bad experiance that viper might have due to faulty installation cannot deem this mod not worth trying.
The car is still running Wilwood discs at the front and OE Honda discs at the rear. Saw them about a week ago, and they've been fine for around 2 years now. The original problem was unrelated to the actual swap and was a minor hiccup which was resolved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...harged-15.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Razor,

They are branded and bolt on. The last time I had other problems not related to the swap. The brake Master Cylinder decided to fail at the same time and I thought it had something to do with the swap.

Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

Reinstalled the rear disc brake conversion kit today with a new kit sourced by myself from abroad.

The brakes simply rock now as have Wilwoods in the front so no major issues of having extra powerful brakes at the rear. I feel the braking is now more or less equally distributed.

Will put up the pics in a day or 2.

Viper

Last edited by pranavt : 28th August 2009 at 10:17.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 10:27   #17
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the link.
Its like in every other related thread, its not suggested to change the OEM setup.
One way it sound logical, but still when we have seen very advanced Mods of engines which involves changing the whole CC of the engine to transmission to suspension, people aren't that reluctant in doing these mods. But with Brakes they become very apprehensive.
This point is acceptable that manufacturer always fits the right brake set as per the exact requirement of brake, but form the feedback of other Adventure owners also, its very common problem in Adventure about the spongy brakes. Why do we rule out the cost factor involved in the high end brakes being deployed by Manufacturer itself.
I mean its not neccessary that they dont install such brakes just because of technical reasons, it may be the cost factor also.
To count the positives of my OEM brake setup is that car never wobbled at any speed while braking. even with 100+ speeds it always stopped in straight lines.
But at times the car did skidded, I am also considering the tyre setup to upgrade. because as per the inertia maybe the tyres aren't wel planted for hard braking.
The weight of car is 1250kgs and current tyre setup is 175, 80 R14. In normal riding at highways or rough road, car always feel planted and steady.
Front brakes are 257 mm ventilated discs.

Please let me know what all could be the reason apart from Tyres, and brakes.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 10:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
One way it sound logical, but still when we have seen very advanced Mods of engines which involves changing the whole CC of the engine to transmission to suspension, people aren't that reluctant in doing these mods. But with Brakes they become very apprehensive.
A car that doesn't stop will kill you - a car that goes faster or handles different may or may not. Brakes are the most important "safety feature" of the car. So a trial and error mod on the brakes is not advisable.

Consider a brake upgrade only if you can source tried and tested bolt on brake upgrade kits from reputed companies. Thats a slim chance for Fiat's.

The other option would be to see if the same car is available anywhere else in the world with a better brake setup and then try to get those parts.

In the end, remember that installing ABS on a non ABS version of car is also possible (in theory). But nobody does it.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote