Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th September 2009, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Default Tata Safari 4X2 Cosmetic makeover

I have a 2004 Tcic 4X2 EX. I am becoming EMI free next month, and my truck is behaving very well now. Mumbai to baroda on half tank was impressive. Hapily cruises at 140+ though 85K and replaced piston rings at 56K. Now that the truck is mechanically sound, I will try and rejuvenate her cosmetically to avoid spending 7 lakhs more for the same new car.

2 years of Mumbai has ensured fair amount of rusting. I am posted at Baroda now. I visited the TASS Miles Motors for denting and a complete paint job. They quoted 45K plus parts. Fearing rip-off by Tata for parts, I went to the market here to inquire about all the rubber/plastic parts that I want to change.

Door Beading (all 5)- 1500 (TASS quoted 18K)
Door seals (all 5)- 1150
Glass channel - 1500
Window trim (garnish) inner & outer - 1500
lock kit - 1800
door handle - 550 approx per piece.
bonnet underside deadening material - <1000
Sump Guard - Plastic 1k, metal 2K
Radiator Fan dust cover - 700
TIming belt plastic cover - 500
Bonnet seal (both pieces) - 600
Bonnet shroud (holds windshield in place) - 700
Wiper Arm - 600

I am changing this stuff at a local garage. Will then give it to TASS for rust removal and denting painting work. While my confidence in TASS (across Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Guwahati and Baroda) and horror stories of fellow TBhpians forces me to believe this is overcharging, I do not mind paying it if I my car looks like new. Is there a cheaper way to get the work done (quality remaining constant).

I do not want my car to look like a Dicor. I prefer the older look.

Help sought. Especially bwtween Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

Also, is there any way I can get the Tata Safari EX decal soft copy on the spare wheel cover so that I can print and stick?
hkborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 10:25   #2
BHPian

Hi, it would be nice if you can confirm th prices in yet another shop, as the quotes (price difference) seem too good to be true.

Off-topic: I had visited one such shop when i wanted to uplift the interiors of our 8+ year old Indica. The shop owner told me they source the same genuine spares, and 7-10% was the max. savings one could get over the sticker price. And add to it the VAT. Since i had preferred to get the job done at the dealership anyways, I purchased the Tata Gold Club coupons from them, hoping for upto 10% discount on spares, and was pleasantly surprised when my dealer gave upto 30% discount on select spares. Of course, it was the dealer's own initiative for the generous discount, hehe.

I would suggest you explore the Gold Club option as well. The coupons are valid for 2 years, spanning across 4 services. The catch is, you got to stick to that dealer until then, though. As for me, the one i visit is the sole Tata Motors/Fiat dealer in the district, and has got good hands/technicians.

As for the decals, i guess any car accessory shop would do this job for you.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:00   #3
BHPian

Even I am surprised at the huge difference quoted by the spare parts shop vis-a-vis TASS. I will try another shop next weekend and inform all of the same.

I have decided to get the parts changed on my own and then give it to TASS for denting and re-painting work. If they charge 5 to 6K extra, I am still game. At least they do the work at a proper paint booth and I get a new car finish.

Also wanted to know:
1. You guys must have seen the Skoda Octavia L&K edition. The black colour of the L&K is somewhat glossier than the black in the Rider, Ambience or Elegance versions. Is that a special colour, or a particular coat applied after the painting is complete? I want that gloss.

2. Some parts of the rear glass bear marks of the dealer's sticker that was stuck on for 4 years. One morning I decided to remove the stickers. The area under the sticker seemed brand new, but the (rest of the) glass seemed to show its age. Anyone could identify that there was a sticker stuck on to the glass before. I know I am not able to articulate this well. But is there any way I can get the glass polished to get the brand new look with no sticker marks.

I know it might seem a little silly of me to even try to make a 5 year old car look brand new, but I got to give it my best shot.
Old 7th September 2009, 16:10   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi since your vehicle is 5year + old, it is advisable to find a local car garage and source these parts from a reputed shop near you. generally there will be a 30 to 35% price difference on MRP.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:21   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
hi since your vehicle is 5year + old, it is advisable to find a local car garage and source these parts from a reputed shop near you. generally there will be a 30 to 35% price difference on MRP.
absolutely, since its been few years of your ownership, its better to source parts from a reputed tata's spare parts dealer, and overall it would be 20-30% difference on MRP as well as overall expense you are planning to do.Dealer quotes are usually on higher sides then available outside.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 17:18   #6
BHPian

This is for you mate

TATA Safari Club.com | Tips, MODs, Service Guide, Product Reviews, Price List & Guidelines for TATA Safari
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:53   #7
BHPian

Wow. How did I miss that website? I just love it.

Infact I started the Tata Safari community on Orkut. About 1000-1200 members there. Maybe I can get them on to Team Bhp too as well as this site.

Any idea where I can get the snorkel from? Greedometer rising.

I am first replacing all the rubber/plastic parts at a local garage. Since I will buy the parts myself, I can check for quality.

Regarding the paint, I am still in 2 minds. There is some denting painting work to be done too. Besides, rust needs to be removed. The tailgate almost seems rotten. 45K was quoted by TASS for complete denting/painting work including the cladding etc. Considering that I got the cladding painted for 10-12K, TASS quote does not sound like a bad deal. I am not too confident of the quality of local garages for a full repaint job, as I am finicky about the finish. Besides I am new in this city and do not know anyone.

I am the kind of guy who will drive a car till it dies. :-) 7 Lakh to upgrade from a Safari to a Safari (yeah, Dicor 2.2 VTT EX) is too expensive for a salaried guy. The marginal utility does not justify the expense. I'd rather spend 50K types to do her up and get another 5 years of service from her. With the 6.5 lakh I save, will get me an MM550XD and keep 5 lakhs in the bank.

Regards

Hemant.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

here's the gold club split up for the safari
Safari Membership Details
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 23:04   #9
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post
I have a 2004 Tcic 4X2 EX. I am becoming EMI free next month, and my truck is behaving very well now. Mumbai to baroda on half tank was impressive. Hapily cruises at 140+ though 85K and replaced piston rings at 56K. Now that the truck is mechanically sound, I will try and rejuvenate her cosmetically to avoid spending 7 lakhs more for the same new car.

Help sought. Especially bwtween Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
Hey hkborah,
I've had a good experience with my EX4x4 too now touching 94k and going in for some major wear and tear replacements next week. Am from Ahmedabad and I could help enquire with the kind of info you need. Also if you happen to come down to Ahmedabad over a weekend I could set you up with this guy who helps me source parts very cheap.

Cheers,
AVR
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 10:23   #10
BHPian

Errata:
When I finally bought the parts, the glass channel (set of 4) costed 3850. The thing that killed the budget.

I was thinking TASS. But now I decided to only paint the claddings (painted at TASS mumbai, but they didnt put any plastic primer, so paint is peeling off) and do a good Rubbing Polishing job. The floor which might be rusted, I am getting the carpet removed, rust cleaned and rubber painted on both top and bottom side. Cost 2k in Vadodara. Another 7-8K for the cladding/bumper/ORVM etc painting. The rest of the money can stay in my Bank.