Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 13:24   #1
BHPian
 
freakrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 176
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Rear Disk Brake Conversion

I would like to know if anyone has done the rear disc brake conversion for a swift in india,i am sure it is possible,since the international models have that option.


thank you,
deep

Last edited by freakrz : 7th September 2009 at 13:25. Reason: to make it much clear
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 13:36   #2
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Its possible, but do you think its worth it? Its a slightly complicated process. And not many people are qualified enough to setup brakes. I suggest you get better rotors, pads and get some good tires. Should be more than enough. Not worth taking the risk, specially when it comes to braking.

On the contrary PM Jitu (ford rocam). He has done a conversion on his city. He would be your best man to talk to.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:12   #3
BHPian
 
freakrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 176
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Its possible, but do you think its worth it? Its a slightly complicated process. And not many people are qualified enough to setup brakes. I suggest you get better rotors, pads and get some good tires. Should be more than enough. Not worth taking the risk, specially when it comes to braking.

On the contrary PM Jitu (ford rocam). He has done a conversion on his city. He would be your best man to talk to.
Thanq Rahul..,

I will think about it,if it's so complicated i will look at upgrading the rotors and the brake pads.
freakrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 12:37   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 69
Thanked: 33 Times
Smile VW Polo: Rear Disc Brake Conversion

I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo. After looking through a lot of parts website i am a little confused as to which brakes will fit indian polo.
The rear axle fitted in my car has the part no.
Rear Axle 6R0 500 051 B
Stub Axle 6Q0 501 117

Now as per my findings there are four different brake versions that will fit polo, but out of this which one is compatible with this axle?
PR-1KK
PR-1KT
PR-1KV
PR-1KP

Please experts help me on this confusion.
anarchy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 01:02   #5
BHPian
 
stuntfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 146
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: VW Polo: Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Its possible, but do you think its worth it? Its a slightly complicated process. And not many people are qualified enough to setup brakes. I suggest you get better rotors, pads and get some good tires. Should be more than enough. Not worth taking the risk, specially when it comes to braking.

On the contrary PM Jitu (ford rocam). He has done a conversion on his city. He would be your best man to talk to.
If done well, it isnt really a risk. There are retro fit kits available or custom parts can be made as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo. After looking through a lot of parts website i am a little confused as to which brakes will fit indian polo.
The rear axle fitted in my car has the part no.
Rear Axle 6R0 500 051 B
Stub Axle 6Q0 501 117

Now as per my findings there are four different brake versions that will fit polo, but out of this which one is compatible with this axle?
PR-1KK
PR-1KT
PR-1KV
PR-1KP

Please experts help me on this confusion.
PR-1KV

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th October 2013 at 23:48. Reason: Post edited as per earlier PM. Please follow our rules. Thanks.
stuntfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 22:18   #6
BHPian
 
narendra.vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangaloru
Posts: 291
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Any Rear disc conversion, will loose out in hand brake connection. Make sure, there is a provision for hand brake before doing the conversion.

Last edited by narendra.vw : 9th October 2013 at 22:20.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 22:33   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,943
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default Re: Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo.
I'm not an expert. But I suppose the fluid pressure should be different for disc and drum brakes (please correct me if I'm wrong). How will it be controlled in this conversion?
If the current fluid pressure is high after disc conversion, wheel tend to lock and ABS will get activated often (in case of vehicle equipped with ABS)

Experts, please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Any Rear disc conversion, will loose out in hand brake connection. Make sure, there is a provision for hand brake before doing the conversion.
Not exactly. Rear disc brakes always came with Hand brake provision. During conversion, hand brake cables also need to be changed.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 07:57   #8
BHPian
 
narendra.vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangaloru
Posts: 291
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I suppose the fluid pressure should be different for disc and drum brakes
If the current fluid pressure is high after disc conversion, wheel tend to lock and ABS will get activated often (in case of vehicle equipped with ABS)

Experts, please clarify.



Not exactly. Rear disc brakes always came with Hand brake provision. During conversion, hand brake cables also need to be changed.
NO hand brake issue.
Option A,
!. If its a retrofit. ( Complete parts & hardware plus hand brake cable.)
2. Using other car rear disc brake unit. hand brake cable adaptation.

Option B,
Hand brake issue. Yes.
1. Front disc unit used for rear disc brake conversion. ( Can be modified, spending few hours in lathe shop.)

Regarding fluid, many manufacturer have stopped using Dot 3, It's Dot 4 or synthetic.
My thoughts,
Cars having ABS should work fine, All four wheels fluid pressure is monitored from a single point,
Cars having non ABS, as you say will have pressure difference.Can be rectified by adjusting pressure valve. Found behind rear suspension in many cars.
narendra.vw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 22:45   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,943
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default Re: Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Option B,
Hand brake issue. Yes.
1. Front disc unit used for rear disc brake conversion. ( Can be modified, spending few hours in lathe shop.)
Just thinking a life without handbrake
I hope no one will go for this option when there is an alternate available with handbrake
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Disk Brake on Bullet Electra UCE..!!! rahulya007 Motorbikes 22 31st August 2012 23:24
Swift - Scratched Brake Disk, Help...! yzfrj Technical Stuff 17 3rd June 2009 23:38
Disk Brake problem in Bullet zoom_vroom Motorbikes 3 11th August 2008 20:57
Disk Brake to normal brake change? ramki067 Motorbikes 10 7th August 2008 14:19
Palio Mods (TC, ECM, & Rear Disc Brake Conversion) sbfx Modifications & Accessories 37 25th May 2007 20:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks