Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd July 2010, 18:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
A basic question - If a car can be 'imporoved' upon by adding pete's / dragon box, why is this not being done by the manufacturer himself? Why let a third party into the business?

Eg, why doesn't Swift/Vista Diesels come by default at 90 PS / 220 nm performance ratings?
Simple...India is a FE obsessed country and also for the longer life of the engines(to some extent).
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:20   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
...India is a FE obsessed country
FE need not drop by having a more powerful engine isn't it? I can still drive it sanely and get the same FE as a normal car would give. Just that its nice to have the extra dose of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
... and also for the longer life of the engines(to some extent).
Is it confirmed that pete-fying affects engine life?

Last edited by WindRide : 23rd July 2010 at 18:24.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:29   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FE need not drop by having a more powerful engine isn't it? I can still drive it sanely and get the same FE as a normal car would give. Just that its nice to have the extra dose of power.

Is it confirmed that pete-fying affects engine life?
For ex, if you are driving a 75 BHP engine and a 90 BHP engine at the same speed, the 90 BHP one will consume more fuel although Pete's boxes were known to be FE friendly. I was commenting from a manufacturer's POV.

What I meant is that High Revving will reduce the life of the engine to some extent.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 14:21   #199
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A basic question - If a car can be 'imporoved' upon by adding pete's / dragon box, why is this not being done by the manufacturer himself? Why let a third party into the business?
A petes box increases the stress level on certain components (including the fuel delivery system). Manufacturers like to concentrate on durability.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 00:00   #200

Guys, after a lot of deliberation, I went in for a PTB today. I got a Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD last month, and I've been thinking of doing the Pete. Finally, got it done at Hot Tracks, Victoria Road, Bangalore. Maxed out my card for the 28Gs. Anil was nice enough to let me try out the PTB on the car for a drive before me putting up the ante. Oh boy, is there a difference or what? On Sunday, I'd taken the car for a 400 km spin Bangalore - Talakad - Bangalore, and I now wish I had Pete'd it before. Look at it this way, you have a Linea engine in the body of a Punto! Am dying to take out another long drive the weekend after next!
Stolichnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:33   #201
aZa
Senior - BHPian

congrats stolichnaya! What setting are you running the box at ? Have you also put a high flow filter like K&N or GREENs?
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:43   #202
Senior - BHPian

congrats Stolichnaya! I also took delivery of a GP MJD EP 5 weeks back and planning to Pete it after the first (3K) service, God/money willing. Please post pics and keep an eye on the possible excessive smoke emissions; I am particularly keen on this matter as many an eminent TBHPian like .anshuman are advising against the PTB option.

What's your plan to tackle the warranty issues? Remove the PTB before giving the car to service?
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 14:22   #203
BHPian

Default Re: Product Review: Pete's Digital Diesel Tuning Box

I see that this thread started 5 years back - hence what other place to post a long term ownership question? I am thinking about pete'ing ( a similar box actually spider box) my cruze - Should I be worried about the odd cases of engine damage? Would you guys (from 5 years back) suggest this mod still?
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 16:11   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
I see that this thread started 5 years back - hence what other place to post a long term ownership question? I am thinking about pete'ing ( a similar box actually spider box) my cruze - Should I be worried about the odd cases of engine damage? Would you guys (from 5 years back) suggest this mod still?
I used to own a Accent Viva CRDi which had a pete's box for almost 30K kms and never had any issues with it. Some points to remember when you add a box ( pertains to my experience with an Accent)

1. It used to smoke more than normal under heavy accelaration

2. Top speed seemed to have reduced by 8-10kmph

During the entire period, never faced any issues and is really a fun addition.

However, since your just about to get delivery of your Cruze, I would recommend to enjoy the 150bhp for a year atleast before modding it. I have done 12000kms in < 6 months and I still get a huge grin on my face when i floor it. I dont think you will get bored of stock power anytime soon.

My mod plans are shelved until 2012

This thread can give you some ideas of what can be done to a Cruze :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ph-pg-4-a.html (Re-Mapped Optra Magnum TCDI. EDIT:Dyno Graph on Pg 4)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 17:47   #205
BHPian

I am getting the cruze only on Saturday / Monday - otherwise Tbhp would have been flooded with pics by now

The problem here is that I have test driven a cruze with Ptronic box :( - Now I don't think stock power will do it for me. So my plan is to run in for about 2k kms and mod.
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 10:48   #206
BHPian

Default Re: Linea Pete'd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
Hi guys, is thereanyone in the forum who has fitted pete's box on the Linea? I am also contemplating buying the box but looking for some feedback.
Hi, could you succeed in getting one for Linea MJD? If so, please share your experience. I have Linea and would like to try.
alavandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 12:33   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Eg, why doesn't Swift/Vista Diesels come by default at 90 PS / 220 nm performance ratings?
As they aren't. The figures you are referring to are of SX-4 D and Manza D which come with a Variable Geometry Turbo as opposed to fix ones on their hatch-back counterparts.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 00:31   #208
BHPian

Hey hey !
Just peted my octavia 1.9TDi.
The change in the initial acceleration is very much noticable, especially in the co-driver's seat.
This was felt by my mechanic who sat beside me when we rolled out for our very first TD after the installation of the box.

It was a timely visit to the classified section of this forum, where I noticed the box for sale.

I'm glad I did it
Attached Images

Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:37   #209
Senior - BHPian

@Monaro: Nice! Who is the guy in Model Colony that Pete'd your ride? Does this guy stock the box, or was it only the one you bought off the classifieds?
Any difference in intake, FE that you noted immediately?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 18:13   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Monaro: Nice! Who is the guy in Model Colony that Pete'd your ride? Does this guy stock the box, or was it only the one you bought off the classifieds?
Any difference in intake, FE that you noted immediately?
Hi Swanand,
I got the Tuning Box from the classified section on our Forum.
The seller was a TBHP member from Pune. Met him yesterday, had a look at the goods, looked fine (never used before) and bought it immediately.
The same evening, got the box installed from my Skoda Mechanic - Velocity Motors in Model Col. It just took 15 mins and voila - the power is with you!

The mechanics didn't know squat about the tuning box and its wiring.
Thanks to Rtech's 1st post, I was supervising the install myself and got it done the way its supposed to be.

My garage guys only stock Cosworth Filters (if you are interested)
Re: the FE, its too early for me to tell, I haven't had a chance to drive around much.
But my MFD shows between 6.2 to 6.4 /100km since yesterday.
But certainly, there is an increase in the throttle response & the engine seems to be a lot lot smoother than ever before. It seems to purr in content. Quite surprising! Will update you as I cover a few ks.

Cheers

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 13th July 2011 at 18:38.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote