Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th November 2011, 20:14   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Product Review: Pete's Digital Diesel Tuning Box

Guys can the beat diesel be pete'd. Searched the petes website and found that all the fiat 1.3 powered cars are listed apart from the beat(though it has a three cyclinder derivative of it).
Is the box common for all.Asking coz racechip, unichip and race dynamic seem to have common box for all cars . Are they better alternatives. What i want to attain is better overtaking ability.

(my first post. glad to be onboard )
kedar3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:52   #212
Ice
BHPian

Pete'd my Octy with 1,00,000 kms. on the clock. Cleaned out the EGR valve and intake manifold before this. Car drives beautifully now, despite a clutch whose days are numbered. Next step: OWS engine flush
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 16:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

^Ice, do you find the brakes adequate after the Petes?
Fellow member @Monaro_CV8 got his Octi Pete'd and I found the brakes a tad bit inadequate then.
Your reactions?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:02   #214
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Fellow member @Monaro_CV8 got his Octi Pete'd and I found the brakes a tad bit inadequate then.
Your reactions?
The brakes in the Octy are always a little scary at very high speeds because of the lack of ABS. That said, I don't find the extra juice courtesy the Pete's box posing a greater risk. Once you're used to the car's behavior under braking, I guess you just compensate more for it!
Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:59   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Guys can the beat diesel be pete'd. Searched the petes website and found that all the fiat 1.3 powered cars are listed apart from the beat(though it has a three cyclinder derivative of it).
Is the box common for all.Asking coz racechip, unichip and race dynamic seem to have common box for all cars . Are they better alternatives. What i want to attain is better overtaking ability.

(my first post. glad to be onboard )
Why don't you just call up Peter Chacko and find out?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 19:31   #216
Senior - BHPian

Just for my understanding: Why would anyone want to spend ~35K for just a 20% hike in performance? Would this even be noticeable? I can understand if there was a hike of 50% or 100%, considering the amount paid.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 19:52   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Just for my understanding: Why would anyone want to spend ~35K for just a 20% hike in performance? Would this even be noticeable? I can understand if there was a hike of 50% or 100%, considering the amount paid.
Nitin
Tuning box is plug and play without much hassles and not all of them are in the range of 35k. Most of Petes box cost less than 30k.

Diesels have high torque numbers and a 20~30% increase is substantial enough to be felt.

You want 100 % increase ? 200Nm to 400Nm ?!!
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 20:06   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Nitin
Tuning box is plug and play without much hassles and not all of them are in the range of 35k. Most of Petes box cost less than 30k.

Diesels have high torque numbers and a 20~30% increase is substantial enough to be felt.

You want 100 % increase ? 200Nm to 400Nm ?!!

I asked because I'm surprised the Range Rover and Fortuner both have 3 liter engine, yet the Range Rover offers almost twice the power and torque. Why/how is this so?
Old 16th December 2011, 18:18   #219
BHPian

Quote:
I asked because I'm surprised the Range Rover and Fortuner both have 3 liter engine, yet the Range Rover offers almost twice the power and torque. Why/how is this so?
Well with the Range Rover and Toyota comparison, its more of an apples and oranges thingy. One a Twin Turbo V6 and the other an Inline 4 Cylinder.

Also the cubic capacity alone is not sufficient to make a comparison. There are a multitude of factors which affect the performance of an engine. Simplest example is turbo charging your vehicle. The cc remains the same. Yet the power can almost double in some examples.

To make matters worse, we can compare two vehicles from the Toyota Stable itself. The 3.0L engine makes 171PS/343Nm in the Fortuner and 410Nm in the LCP. HP numbers are almost identical. Its the same engine in a different state of tune. This will put things into perspective. More often than not, a tuning box taps into this reserve and makes the engine more efficient (power).

A tuning box has to be simply the best in terms of money/horsepower ratio. I don't think there is any other mod we can do with 20-30k budget that will give similar results with reliability and ease of operation.

As for only 20% increase in power. Most people spend a fortune trying to make their cars faster by a sec or two. A 20% increase is a lot of work. Ask a petrol owner and he'll tell you.

Last edited by Tassem : 16th December 2011 at 18:24.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 20:51   #220
BHPian

Pete's box in a nutshell does its job by pumping in extra fuel in to the cylinders .Now some people claim , that they have used tuning box over a lakh kms and that they have faced no significant problems while there are a few who claim they have had the turbo give up on them prematurely . Now the dilemma is -whom to believe ? Remaps done from A REPUTED company are the best cos they alter the airflow as well as fuel supply but for people who want to go for tuning boxes a couple of things have to be kept in mind.Tuning boxes reduce the life of the turbo without a shadow of doubt, but the damage they can do due to carbon build up inside the turbo is dependent on the quality of components used in that particular engine

The motors which have high end- top notch quality components in their turbo are far more resistant to failure due to carbon build up inside the turbo .As has been seen in this very forum Ford , Skoda, Hyundai and Toyota [high end ] belong to this category.These engines in their stock form are known to run for over 2 lakh kms and more than 3-4 lakh kms in case of Skoda..So a reduction in the life of the turbo is far less noticeable.

On the other hand 1.3 ddis Maruti-Suzuki engine which is primarily used in econohatches has seen more reliability issues with tuning box. I am not talking about just 30 to 40 thousand kms here but turbo failures have been documented when tuning box has been used for a period of more than 50k kms..The average life of a DDIS engine is around 1.5 lakh kms. This is where the consumer has a choice to make .If he prefers to keep his car for a long time , then i am afraid staying away from the tuning boxes is the wiser things to do.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 16th December 2011 at 20:56.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 17:32   #221
BHPian

Post Re: Product Review: Pete's Digital Diesel Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Swanand,
The initial response after newly installing the tuning box was inadequate brakes, as we discussed then. Its but natural coz with the increase in torque & the pick up, the braking distance has to be re-configured/ re-mapped in the human sense.
Currently after altering my driving style a bit; it does the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
The brakes in the Octy are always a little scary at very high speeds because of the lack of ABS. That said, I don't find the extra juice courtesy the Pete's box posing a greater risk. Once you're used to the car's behavior under braking, I guess you just compensate more for it!
^^
Right Said..its a matter of getting used to.

Quote:
^^
You dont know what you are missing out on mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post

On the other hand 1.3 ddis Maruti-Suzuki engine which is primarily used in econohatches has seen more reliability issues with tuning box. I am not talking about just 30 to 40 thousand kms here but turbo failures have been documented when tuning box has been used for a period of more than 50k kms.
The key here, is to get the engine decarbonized at regular intervals @20-25K km.
The M.A.S.S. have this facility & the equipment. Just this morning I was quoted Rs. 1500 to get it done for my Ritz VDi (which is the same engine as the Swift VDi)
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 19:04   #222
BHPian

^^^ No offence but decarbonizing is not done to remove the carbon build up inside the turbo..
It includes the cylinder ,pistons etc and nothing to do with turbo per se..Carbon build up inside
the turbo is irreversible

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 17th December 2011 at 19:13.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 20:21   #223
Senior - BHPian

@ Monaro CV8: Exactly what I'm asking and I'd like to know more on what am missing here.
Old 17th December 2011, 21:18   #224
BHPian

Well, for starters why don't you go through this thread. You'll find enough excerpts from people who've experienced the magic..
Cheers..
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 23:48   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The average life of a DDIS engine is around 1.5 lakh kms. This is where the consumer has a choice to make .If he prefers to keep his car for a long time , then i am afraid staying away from the tuning boxes is the wiser things to do.
Source of info please? Have there been instances of stock Multijet/ DDiS/ Quadrajet engines failing before 1.5L kms?

There have been users who have done 2L+ kms in their Swifts, without any major issues. I haven't come across users having serious complaints with Multijet/ DDiS/ Quadrajet engines either. Hence, puzzled to see this statement.

3 years, 2.2 L kms, and even ran a Pete's box for sometime. -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-pg-3-a.html (Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3)

2.5 years, 2L kms -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ounting-4.html (Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 2 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counting)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th December 2011 at 23:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote