Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th September 2009, 15:06   #1
BHPian

Default Got a santro broken window pane for cheap :)

I had break-in on my Santro parked near to Adiga's next to Manipal Center (yesterday around 3pm). The rear window pane was broken and a gas-stove lying the rear seat was stolen.

I went immediately to Advaith on Mission Road to get it replaced. Even though they were closing down for long weekend (ayudha puja and dasara) a nice lady, Vinaya, from bodyshop helped get the window replaced even though there no service managers around.

Now coming to the main point, the charges are 250 for the window and 450 service charge (iam rounding off values).

This seems a little strange for me... so I wanted to know if this is regular pricing or was it special for me due to holiday?

Thanks!

Note to Mods: I was not sure which sub-forum this fits in, even after some searching around. So pls change as needed, if this is wrong place.
rajiv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 23:26   #2

Default Damn cheap!

Thats very inexpensive I'd say. I had to replace the driver side mirror (internally adjustable) and it cost me 550 inclusive of labour (all out of pocket).

The windshield replacement (yeah, some bloody idiot cracked it when parked) cost 6500 (1800 out of pocket).

I hope they put in tempered glass and not ordinary glass as the replacement.
db2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:30   #3
BHPian

Thanks db2000 - the numbers look scary to me !!

The main point on which im flustered is that service is higher than the actual component charge. Anyway, thanks for confirmation. It seems to be a norm.

Btw, how do I ensure it is tempered glass? The brand / make etc markings seem similar to rest of the car. Is there any check, other than breaking again?
Old 29th September 2009, 16:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Tempered side window glass is cheap. It takes quite a bit of effort to remove the old glass and replace it with a new glass. You shoule be able to save some money by going to an independent!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:58   #5

knock it and listen to the sound. Its on the borderline between plastic and glass. You could knock your windscreen and check for the same sound. You will see the sound is very different when you knock a glass bottle.

These days tempered glass is standard, but considering that using ordinary glass can be life threatening in case of accidents, it is worthwhile to double check.
db2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:36   #6
BHPian

Thanks sgiitk. I rushed to Advaith since it was a holiday weekend and I didnt want to be left with a windowless car in parking lot

Thanks db2000, Will run this test and confirm to be safe!