Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th July 2005, 15:37   #1

Question K&N Filter for Indica V2 Diesel

I've bought a new Indica V2 diesel vehicle & wanted to know the following details from the knowledgeable group wrt K&N filters as applicable to Indica diesel vehicle:
1. Is it really worth getting a K&N filter fitted?
2. Does it make a significant noticeable difference to the power & mileage?
3. If the answer is yes to both of the above questions, is there a comparison performance chart/numbers highlighting the difference between the conventional & the K&N filter?

Any info/Personal experience in this regard is greatly appreciated & will help me out of the dilemna. Thanks in advance.
hvsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as K&N is concerned, so many threads are available elsewhere in this forum. Kindly do a search on K&N to get all the info you ever wanted...

The filter costs you Rs. 3990 (Indica V2); The K&N has a signature intake growl and (for some people) this will not sound good in an Indica V2 D. If you want to hear the K&N's song try fitting it in a Daewoo Cielo....
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 16:09   #3

To start with, I did search for "K&N" & there were lot of threads available. But nothing specific to Indica diesel. So I started a new thread to narrow down the scope. If anyone stumbles on the thread pertaining to this topic elsewhere please let me know.
Old 19th July 2005, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvsandy
To start with, I did search for "K&N" & there were lot of threads available. But nothing specific to Indica diesel. So I started a new thread to narrow down the scope. If anyone stumbles on the thread pertaining to this topic elsewhere please let me know.
Also please let me know if there is any K&N filter available for Swift and is it really worth it. Will I gain in power? and FE? and how will the sound of the car be effected. If available for Swift please mention the size.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 20:53   #5
BHPian

for the Swift You can just get a Universal K&N air filter system put in... it has its own casing and tubing, which finally fits into the slot of the air intake... the original box will be replaced by a cone shaped filter, and tubing... it will have a marginal rise in decibels, if thats what you meant by sound... I think it costs around 4500 bucks... and you can get it fit within half an hour or so... increases the BHP by about 5BHP or so i think... not too sure bout that one... will check up and let you know in a bit...
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 22:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
for the Swift You can just get a Universal K&N air filter system put in... it has its own casing and tubing, which finally fits into the slot of the air intake... the original box will be replaced by a cone shaped filter, and tubing... it will have a marginal rise in decibels, if thats what you meant by sound... I think it costs around 4500 bucks... and you can get it fit within half an hour or so... increases the BHP by about 5BHP or so i think... not too sure bout that one... will check up and let you know in a bit...
Does it effect the FE, is so, than in which way, does it decrease or increase?
Old 20th July 2005, 02:41   #7
BHPian

hey buddy..im a performance parts stockist here in bombay..and yes i also do stock K&N air filter's..well the indica v2 is a diesel as u mentioned..so i would advise you to go in for a box replacement filter..its a simple application..and gives you decent increase in power aswel as FE..about 2-3 bhp raise and about marginal increase in FE aswel..as far as the swift is concerned..no there is no box replacement filter developed for the swift...you can you the universal hoer performance K&N air filter may be the 3570,4670 depending on how much you want to spend ..also go in for a custom made cold air intake peiping ..which leads the filter away from the engine bay and hence assures cold air intake into the engine via the air filter..K&N takes about 2 years to develope a box replacement filter after the launch of the car..so you can expect the filter for the swift in sometime here in india..if you do have any other queries just post them up...or drop me a pm..cheers...!!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 20:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger
hey buddy..im a performance parts stockist here in bombay..and yes i also do stock K&N air filter's..well the indica v2 is a diesel as u mentioned..so i would advise you to go in for a box replacement filter..its a simple application..and gives you decent increase in power aswel as FE..about 2-3 bhp raise and about marginal increase in FE aswel..as far as the swift is concerned..no there is no box replacement filter developed for the swift...you can you the universal hoer performance K&N air filter may be the 3570,4670 depending on how much you want to spend ..also go in for a custom made cold air intake peiping ..which leads the filter away from the engine bay and hence assures cold air intake into the engine via the air filter..K&N takes about 2 years to develope a box replacement filter after the launch of the car..so you can expect the filter for the swift in sometime here in india..if you do have any other queries just post them up...or drop me a pm..cheers...!!
How much will a customer made cold air intake piping and K&N filter for Swift cost? Will this void the warranty on the engine or effect it in any way? Please let me know of any authorized K&N stores in Delhi that can do this?
Old 21st July 2005, 14:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

need a stock rep k&n for my 1.6 mazda miata.....help anyone?
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 03:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, isnt there a k&n filter that fits a swifts existing air intake box? the reason i ask is that my dad is against touching the car fitments externally to add a universal filter and have pipes that take the filter further away from engine for cooler air intake. He doesnt want the car to be worked on, but he is ok with anything that can fit the existing fitment.
Old 17th August 2005, 19:10   #11

Lightbulb Stop Spamming | Quick info

Hi All, The very idea of creating a new thread for Indica V2 diesel was that to narrow the scope & cut the crap of all other vehicles. ie This thread is mainly intended for information transfer tying K&N & Indica V2 diesel. Not to offend anyone, kindly understand the thought process behind the start of a new thread being very specific to a particular topic. If you see, It started with Indica & now its going haywire with Swift, mazda etc... If I'm being rude, I'm extremely sorry.
Quick info: Every K&N filter has a part/model number. But in india, If you ask any dealer, they dont divulge this part number info. For eg: If you ask the part number for K&N stock replacement filter for Indica V2 diesel...answer got is : "In india it is marketed as K&N filter for Indica diesel & it doesnt carry any part number". The truth is that the distributor masks the part number with a sticker fearing that if ppl come to know of the number, then there will source the same from else where (US, singapore, etc...) for lesser. But after Herculean task, I was able to lay my hands on the part number PHEW!!! Now, I'm waiting for one of my friends/colleagues to get it from US

Last edited by hvsandy : 17th August 2005 at 19:11.
Old 17th August 2005, 22:32   #12
BHPian

hey hvsandy i have got a k&n stock replacement xtreme series in my zen my fe has increased by 1kmpl and has slightly increased my pick up & power and must say top speed has increased alot more.... you should go in for k&n it will make alot of difference in your indica d.... it needs pick up despritely...
thanks
pm if you need more details
sparco
sparco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 13:23   #13
BHPian

try out the fipk filter with cold air intake.... should help it to be more drivable.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 13:40   #14

Question More details abt fipk filter pls

Hi, Thnx for the info. Can u pls provide more details abt the fipk filter?
Following details will help
* K&N stock replacement filter v/s fipk filter.
* pros & cons.
* price.
* performance, power & fuel efficiency data.
Old 19th August 2005, 13:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

guys hw many types of K&N filters are there?? I mean like stock replacement, universal.....?
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote