Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th October 2009, 13:27   #1
BHPian

Default Seats Torn. Now what?

Hey guys, I have a pair of sparco seats with me which I'm planning to sell very soon. The problem is that the fabric on one of the seats is torn a bit, and i would like to know if there is anyway i could get hold of the original material and get it stitched? Or is there any other cheaper option open to me? I have thought about synthetic leather seat covers over them, but i feel that would be playing with the originality of the seats. Any suggestions?
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 17:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Take the seats down to a competent upholstery shop. For a slight premium, they'll easy get a close match. Alternatively, have a dry cleaning shop look at your seats. They could do a "ruffu" (don't know the english term). Worked well for a pair of curtains that were torn at my place.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 18:14   #3
BHPian

I think the process G.T.O is referring to is called "Darning".It is done by Dry cleaning shops.If it is done carefully it can give acceptable results.
freewheelburnin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Tear in seat fabric - best way to fix

I looked for existing threads which deal with upholstery repair but couldn't find one - most upholstery threads are about art leather covers or there are a few threads about upholsters in Bangalore.

My Swift VXI is around 6 years old now. The original seats are still in place. I never used seat covers or anything.

Now my driver seat has a tear in the fabric. What's the cheapast/best way to repair this
- can this be repaired?
- if it has to be changed, how much will it cost?
- Any shops in the eastern suburbs (Mulund or within a few kms) which can do this?
- How much time will it take to do this? Is it a day job.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tear in seat fabric - best way to fix

@Carboy, I am not sure if you can "easily" fix this tear or something that would be reliable. In my opinion it seems like the best way is to apply a hand-stitch (DIY actually but painful) if its doable and secure entire seat with another fabric cover. For much lesser process you can get the fabric seat covers that you can easily fit yourself.

Or else, you should go to a seat coaching works shop. They may have some more advanced equipment to do the same.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Now my driver seat has a tear in the fabric. What's the cheapast/best way to repair this
- can this be repaired?
- if it has to be changed, how much will it cost?
- Any shops in the eastern suburbs (Mulund or within a few kms) which can do this?
- How much time will it take to do this? Is it a day job.
Depends how big the tear is. If it is not too big, I think you should be able to stitch it either yourself or from a seat cover shop.
carfreak77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is the seat cover, and not the original seat fabric itself, then it can be removed and then repaired. The seat covers are normally tied with thread that is passed thru the cushion and then the strings tied so that the cover doesnt move.

Once you get the cover off the seat, then you can do the required darning / patching etc. Or if you are lucky, a new cover for that section.

Go to a seat cover works shop, and ask them if they can do it for you.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 16:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My Ford IKON had the same issue.

What I did was to remove the entire cover fabric, and re-do the seats with new PU leather seat covers. Cost me ~6000 bucks.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 19:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If it is the seat cover, and not the original seat fabric itself, then it can be removed and then repaired.
Nope - I don't have a seat cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
My Ford IKON had the same issue.

What I did was to remove the entire cover fabric, and re-do the seats with new PU leather seat covers. Cost me ~6000 bucks.
Was it for 1 seat or for all? Any idea, how much would redoing it with fabric instead of PU cost and do upholsterers do it as well as the original fitting?
Old 29th July 2013, 20:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was it for 1 seat or for all? Any idea, how much would redoing it with fabric instead of PU cost and do upholsterers do it as well as the original fitting?
It was for all seats.

Yes, you can redo it using fabric. Koyas in Coimbatore does the same. So, you should be able to find a similar place in Mumbai.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 22:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope - I don't have a seat cover.

and do upholsterers do it as well as the original fitting?
So in your case, I think you just get yourself a set of seat covers in what ever material you like. Tell them it should be fixed and not removable. You'll be set.

Fabric covers for a set cost about 3.5k - 4k here
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 21:40   #12

Fixing this is a time consuming process as you have to get the seat re-upholstered. I have been in this partcular situation some time back. What i did is to get the tear simply stiched up by the upholstery guy to prevent any furthur elongation of the cut and i put a nice padded PU cover over the seat. By this way you actually hide the tear instead of fixing it.
rachitagarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got an upholsterer to repair this. The sponge inside had also torn. He stuck it with some kind of glue and then repaired the fabric with machine stitching. He charged me 250Rs. Probably could have bargained but didn't.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got an upholsterer to repair this. The sponge inside had also torn. He stuck it with some kind of glue and then repaired the fabric with machine stitching. He charged me 250Rs. Probably could have bargained but didn't.
How is the end result? Is it upto your satisfaction?
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
How is the end result? Is it upto your satisfaction?
Yeah - as of now it is. Unless it tears again soon. Even before the tear wasn't very visible.
carboy is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote