Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th October 2005, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Default hey

if u guys in mumbai want the original tachos from autometer...then i think u shud go to KS motorsport in ballard pier....he owns a petrol pump named daulat petroleum in ballard estate....he keeps his performance parts there itself....and am sure he will be more than happy to help u out!

kausu
kausu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 21:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Mclaren.. pix pls and how much 4 the neons. and aint it tough 2 fix a tacho in a zen as it doesnt have one by default
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 23:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

no the zens dont come with a tachometer.and why do you think it will be tough to get one fitted im just trying to figure out the best place for it and i might get one.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 23:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

u need a good mechanic 2 get one fixed . and heard its tough 2 get one calibrated right
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 00:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

that actually what i wanted to find out.i have a 1997 carb zen and i wanted to know that if i get a pricol tacho how and where can i get it perfectly caliberated ??

Rev
Old 19th October 2005, 07:33   #21
BHPian

Unhappy Important tacho information

I did some research to buy and install a tacho. But mine is a 1 month old zen Lxi. I asked the dealers technical person and he insists that it cannot be done, unless its a factory fitted tacho and people want to change it. I asked the reason and then he said that it will require a wire from the engine and this will be a violation of the warranty and after than warranty would be void.

I have 2 years normal and 2 more years of extended (purchased) warranty, and of course i dont want to make it void.

So now my plans for a tacho are down the drain, so others too if you have new cars and within warrant please wait till warranty is over for this modification to be done.

Can someone confirm if i got the facts right or is my dealer fooling me.

Maybe next time please lets reduce RPM talk in order to benefit the millions who dont have a tacho .. i mean along with RPM we can also mention something that gives the feel of RPM (by experience) .. is there anything like that ? Since in very discussion i see RPM and it makes me sad that i cant measure it ... so is there an alternative way of achieving the same (without compromising on the warranty)
gchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 11:45   #22
BHPian

Chandra, I'm not sure but, how can taking a single output from electronics of car engine void the warranty, besides it's not like modifying any signal. Hope more experienced guys will clarify on this.
skidrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 12:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the dealer is pulling a fast one on you...as skidrock said pulling a single wire from the engine should not cause the warranty to be void...

Pricol tachos are very hard to come by but they are the cheapest available.....not very tough to calibrate one though with an infrared tach that measures directly from the crank.

I have seen many pricol tachs lying in Bangalore gujri the last time I went there....its in this galli which sells electric items....
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 12:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrock
Chandra, I'm not sure but, how can taking a single output from electronics of car engine void the warranty, besides it's not like modifying any signal. Hope more experienced guys will clarify on this.
Company policy.Almost all manufacturers will refuse warranty on a vehicle which has non-genuine modifications or those done by a non-authorised workshop.Whether it be a small electrical wiring or a full blown mod job,it really doesn't matter.Of course
,the dealer can pretend to not notice these things while approving warranty,but that would be unethical.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 15:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

That means fitting a stereo system from a non authorized workshop will void warranty, right?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 17:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

yeah tsk1979
most of the time it fitting a stereo will void the warrany unless its dont by the authorized service centre itself.

but i honestly feel such things shouldn void the warranty.really feel the dealer is pulling a fast one.do check up once again ask them if its okay if they install it themselves.

rev
Old 19th October 2005, 17:21   #27
BANNED

Guys,

If you look from the technical aspect then warranty is void if any changes are made to the car which includes Alloy wheels oversized tires, music system etc.

The real issue is what problem are you claiming warranty for and is that area original for e.g if the dealer refuses warranty for say a suspension fault if you have an aftermarket stereo saying changes are made then you have to be bold enough to fight it out and ask him to give in writing citing the reason why it was void and threaten complaining to the parent company. 9.9 out of ten he will then honour the warranty saying he is obliging you as a special case.

So go ahead and install the RPM unless you are to scared then only god can help.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 19th October 2005 at 17:25.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 18:55   #28
BHPian

Unhappy

After a lot of thought, i have finally be able to contact the regional sales manager (corporate sales) who had come to our office sometime back , and does remember me. I called him at his branch office of maruti in hyderabad. Some other person picked up but was very polite and he took down my query and promised me to get back in 10 mins. I did get a call from the technical person and here goes the explanation (this is from maruti)

Yes its possible for non factory fitted cars to have tachometers. But we at maruti suggest people not to do it, since it requires changing the dashboard (i said i can attach it somewhere else), he said still it has to go through the dashboard and there will be lot of vital car components that will be touched. No matter how experienced the service man is he will never be able to match the factory preciseness and hence there is a risk of getting something spoilt now and in the longer run. thats why we recommend no to make the modification. He did not mention anything about warraty voidness , since if it did violate he would have mentioned that.

I was pretty much statisfied with the answer so i thanked him and closed my conversation.
Old 19th October 2005, 18:59   #29
BHPian

Whats the use of getting a tacho when maruti technical people are themselves are afraid of making the modification. I never know its so complex ! would have gone for Vxi only if i had known this.

But i was really happy to see maruti responding so fast and so politely to my queries ... thank god :-)
Old 19th October 2005, 21:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchandra
......., since it requires changing the dashboard (i said i can attach it somewhere else), ..............lot of vital car components that will be touched. .................... never be able to match the factory preciseness and hence there is a risk of getting something spoilt now and in the longer run.
This is preposterous. If the person who spoke to you is really a technical guy, then he should be disbanded of his degree with immediate effect, and sent for appropriate medication.

Its more likely that the person was nothing more than a sales guy, trying to dissuade you from the mod by his slick manner.

"vital car components" and "factory preciseness" : I'm splitting at the seams here but if the "factory" is so "precise" then why have X no. of defects per 100 vehicles at all? Why not that X be equal to zero?

Stop thinking so much about it and go for a tach when you find one that matches your tastes.....if your so worried about the warranty, if & when there is a breakdown you can always get it removed before giving it to the service center....
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote