Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th October 2009, 10:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

If the car does not hold sentimental value please sell it of and get a baleno. But again a tuned esteem will be extremely FTD. Since yours is 13years old i am not too sure you can just mod the car, before that a lot of things will need attention.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 10:18   #17
BANNED

I saw MASS does paint jobs, alloys etc...

MSM :: Services

is it worth going there?

Can Pandit & Co take care of all the things i want? As i am looking to get all at one place, how much would my wish list cost?

Waiting
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 10:32   #18
BHPian

An investment of 50k on an old vehicle?, if you could sell this & pump in another 1 lakh, you can get hold of a 2002-03 baleno..

It is just not worth it, problems keep coming around especially the niggling issues. Esteems keep crumbles with old age.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 10:35   #19
BHPian

Sell the Esteem.
Buy another better powered and a relatively 'newer' used car for the extra money you want to spend.
Trust me, you'd be happy.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 10:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

A not so expensive way to get more performance would be to get a used 16V head(from mpfi esteem) and run it with two carbs(you would need to buy another carb and fabricate a manifold for the carbs)
I don think he can do this in a budget of 50k, twin carbs are guzzlers too.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since you already have a better car for the regular drive, what is the use in selling this one for a slightly newer one ?

For someone like you, I'd suggest go ahead & get the esteem ready. Do complete tinkering, painting, suspensions, brakes and then think of plonking a baleno engine into it. Or if you prefer the carb, get a webber twin & FFE also. Get neat alloys & broader tyres. This alone would make your car stand out.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:25   #22
BANNED

esteem_lover: How much would u think that would cost to do in Delhi?
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

All figures approximate;

Tinkering & Painting - 20K
Suspensions - 8k
Brakes 4-5k
Baleno engine - 30-40k or (webber carb - 20K, FFE - 10k)
Alloys & Tyres - 30k

Totally around a lakh.
Old 30th October 2009, 12:12   #24
BHPian

^^
So why not get a decent baleno itself ? I mean whats the point ?

When you eventually do sell the 'upgraded' esteem, will you get back your investment?
If you are to do all of the above to the esteem - would it be a street legal, insurance valid car ?
Old 30th October 2009, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
So why not get a decent baleno itself ? I mean whats the point ?

When you eventually do sell the 'upgraded' esteem, will you get back your investment?
If you are to do all of the above to the esteem - would it be a street legal, insurance valid car ?

I got your point, Let me give you an example. since you are voting for a baleno i assume you like the car. You are on the lookout and you find a nice 2k black baleno with white/ black lenso alloys, Yoko s drives, a completly rebuild engine with a 1.6 GTI head, Turbo with a piggy back and pedders etc...etc for 4 lac. would you buy the car or would you still say a 2k baleno retails for 1.2-1.5Lac?

For special vehicles you need to find special buyers period for distress sale you can have the car reverted back to stock and sold to any tom dick and harry.

My point is if you look at your car like an investment then these points hold to be true. If these advises were for someone who dosent own a car and wants a car, which is fast and has a lot of potential then this point is valid. Here Udit already owns a lot of cars and i assume this ones going to be a fun car.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th October 2009 at 13:57.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 14:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
My point is if you look at your car like an investment then these points hold to be true. If these advises were for someone who dosent own a car and wants a car, which is fast and has a lot of potential then this point is valid. Here Udit already owns a lot of cars and i assume this ones going to be a fun car.

Pramod
Well said pramod. That is exactly what I was thinking. This advice is udit-specific, not for anyone else. If this is your first car or your only car, move on, find a better option.
Old 30th October 2009, 14:14   #27
BHPian

I got a Type 1, 97 Esteem, Running custom intake and simota conical, FFE from Afzal, MSD Ignition Blaster SS coil, and 8.5mm MSD Super conductor cables and NGK G power plugs.
8 spoke alloys with 185/60 R13 tyres.Strurt braces from Automech
Its under restoration now .
Once i have it back after 10-15 days will start a new thread.

Last edited by yogisays0909 : 30th October 2009 at 14:16.
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 14:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I got your point, Let me give you an example. since you are voting for a baleno i assume you like the car. You are on the lookout and you find a nice 2k black baleno with white/ black lenso alloys, Yoko s drives, a completly rebuild engine with a 1.6 GTI head, Turbo with a piggy back and pedders etc...etc for 4 lac. would you buy the car or would you still say a 2k baleno retails for 1.2-1.5Lac?
We were discussing/comparing a modded esteem and a stock baleno here.
Anyways, I would still pick up the stock baleno at that rate if it is in a decent condition. I would add alloys and rubber. I would go synthetic. I would add a good filter and max an FFE. I would stay happy.
Quote:
For special vehicles you need to find special buyers period for distress sale you can have the car reverted back to stock and sold to any tom dick and harry.
For such special vehicles, you also need a special maintainer, special time and not to forget, the moolah.
Ask someone who has tried to sell a 'modded car'. Resale value for sure goes down.
Nothing fetches better than stock and well maintained cars (save for filters and FFE).
Check out the classifieds section outside and here itself.
First you take the pain to build such a car. Then you cant sell it (people doubting) so you break it open to stock form and sell the engines and parts separately? Not fun IMO.

Quote:

Pramod
Fun can be very painful at times.
Enough examples / threads / posts exist on this very forum which highlight the dark side of such heavy modding.

If you want a toy to play with, sure. To each his own.
Old 30th October 2009, 15:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were discussing/comparing a modded esteem and a stock baleno here.
Anyways, I would still pick up the stock baleno at that rate if it is in a decent condition. I would add alloys and rubber. I would go synthetic. I would add a good filter and max an FFE. I would stay happy.
The Vehicle in my example is a "very special" vehicle and will only interests "special people", if you are just into body MODS chances are there the things under the hood might not impress you, anyone who has been there and done that knows that Going synthetic, adding a "good filter" and "FFE" will not keep you happy. Can anyone support with a dyno chart that adding a FFE+ Filter have given them considerable gain? Synthetic engine oil make the engine little rev happy (in layman’s terms the oil behaves like oil under harsh working conditions).

Quote:
For such special vehicles, you also need a special maintainer, special time and not to forget, the moolah.

Says who? Please contact all the members who own moded balenos/civics most of them get their cars serviced at A S S

Quote:
Ask someone who has tried to sell a 'modded car'. Resale value for sure goes down.
You are again talking about body mods and that too locally done ones,

Quote:
Nothing fetches better than stock and well maintained cars (save for filters and FFE).
True but only in the open market
Quote:
Check out the classifieds section outside and here itself.
Good that you brought this reference, have you seen how much iceman's car was placed for?
Quote:
First you take the pain to build such a car. Then you can’t sell it (people doubting) so you break it open to stock form and sell the engines and parts separately? Not fun IMO.
Boss seriously, if you are an enthusiast you build a car for yourself not for sale. And yes if you dont get the right price you might have to sell it in parts and trust me its great fun shopping for parts this way .

Quote:
Fun can be very painful at times.
Enough examples / threads / posts exist on this very forum which highlight the dark side of such heavy modding.

If you want a toy to play with, sure. To each his own.
Please get your facts right before you make such lame statements, those threads you are talking about are the ones where those tuners have taken people on a ride, People have been modding their cars for donkey years now and have evolved. For your info I would like to tell you about 2 guys who have did a DIY turbo esteem from a used turbo from the junk yard and plonked it in an esteem, got themselves an RD ecu and a wide band AFR. The car has completed over 5 k kms and is still running fine. These guys have zero knowledge and best part is no fancy piping silicon hoses ect…ect.. and the total cost 70k. The car runs on stock internals at 7 PSI. To end this discussion on a constructive note, please understand we are all here to share and learn, the point should not be you are wrong and I am right. Please feel free to correct me, I have been the single largest guy to post on this thread apart from Udit, I did this of 2 reasons, I love an esteem and I know the potential of this car and I have now somehow understood the passion Udit carries to get this car back to its full glory.

@ Udit sorry for going off topic on your thread, but during this off topic discussion as well I have left some facts and numbers you can use.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th October 2009 at 15:26.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 16:13   #30
BHPian

I no where talked about body mods Sir (save for the alloys). It was all under-the-hood. But things not very over-the-top / costly and without too much of a headache.

If Udit wants to do something like the viper's City? or iceman's Baleno? or similiar mods with Dyno readings and stuff, sure.
Else, many folks like GTO and the rest are more than happy with what simple things can do to their old reliable horses.

Like you yourself said -
'Finding "the reliable tooner" is a mammoth task, so it just dosent stop at the pain.'

I'd just expect people to give pitfalls/warnings along with the benefits of any such suggestions.

Anyways, its good that Udit knows both sides of the story. Over to him.
Do let us know which route you take and how it turns out.

Cheers