Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th October 2009, 17:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
I no where talked about body mods Sir (save for the alloys). It was all under-the-hood. But things not very over-the-top / costly and without too much of a headache.

If Udit wants to do something like the viper's City? or iceman's Baleno? or similiar mods with Dyno readings and stuff, sure.
Else, many folks like GTO and the rest are more than happy with what simple things can do to their old reliable horses.

Like you yourself said -
'Finding "the reliable tooner" is a mammoth task, so it just dosent stop at the pain.'

I'd just expect people to give pitfalls/warnings along with the benefits of any such suggestions.

Anyways, its good that Udit knows both sides of the story. Over to him.
Do let us know which route you take and how it turns out.

Cheers
Thats the most matured way of ending this conversation .

This is one of the most healthy disscussions i had on TBHP.

Let Udit decide wether he needs a head turner or a car that looks like a simple esteem and makes a skoda RS guy think what the hell just overtook me. Udit you have enough pointers. Please decide on what you wanna do and keep updating us.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 03:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Let Udit decide wether he needs a head turner or a car that looks like a simple esteem and makes a skoda RS guy think what the hell just overtook me. Udit you have enough pointers. Please decide on what you wanna do and keep updating us.
Thats the only reason I have opted for underhood mods first, and now going for cosmetic make over. Not much of heavy body work, but a simple head turner paint, trunk and hood mods.
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 05:52   #33
BHPian

I have an 2001 Esteem , Thought of having it re built , but again dropped the idea till recession is here , as I have EMI for house & nick nack to look after
( my collegues are getting fired for no reasons - I am not feeling secure too, I am in IT area ).
Since Esteem is my 1st job car - its going to stay as long as I can imagine. Other than servicing / petrol cost / ( clutch + tyre change at 85XXXkms ) it hasnt costed me anything .

as far as I am concerend - this car has been very good to me , so I will be good too. But let recession go out - maybe 2010 end I will do something.

Its something which is on my mind - i dont want to deprive my Esteem in $ wise for a make-over , just a simple , sober , makeover , nothing over board.

( till date its done about 1,35,XXX kms , its in good condition , & very silent - no noises what-so-ever )

Last edited by passion4cars : 31st October 2009 at 05:55.
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 08:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
( till date its done about 1,35,XXX kms , its in good condition , & very silent - no noises what-so-ever )

Esteem engines are considered bullet proof. When i brought my first car a couple of years ago i was a complete noob. I brought my esteem from my best friends uncle. in 2002 he sold me a 98 model lx for 110k, this car had 4 owners on it and it was in table top condition and 30 on the odo (i am sure it was tampered)

The car did 130 k till it totalled, the cars engine ran like a dream till then. I asked a lot of my fellow Bhpian if i should rebuild it. the answer was no. till today i miss my first car though i drive a much better and powerful car now, the love for my esteem is still alive in me.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 09:21   #35
BHPian

Moreover the carb esteem has a very long rev range, which is indeed a pleasure driving.
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 12:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Esteem engines are considered bullet proof.
Yes, i can vouch for that, I drove one without coolant till the engine stopped and wouldn't crank ! Just let it cool , filled coolant and cranked it - was running normally ! As a second though - checked the compression - it was still the same - I'm not sure if I was lucky, but does say a lot about how much that engine can take!
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 20:40   #37
BHPian

Thats the reason I aint going to sell it :-)
add another to the list -

ESTEEM LOVER
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 12:27   #38
BHPian

Though an Old post, just re-igniting it..!!

I have a 97 Model Esteem, Type 1, which has clocked more than 1.5l Km. Due to senti "MENTAL" value, I am not parting with the car in any way.

I have been using it as a regular city car, and has never given any major issues except the Fuel Pump conking off one day, and a few clutch glitches.

Besides this, I have an Octavia vRS, which is usually a weekend & highway vehicle, and planning to go for a used hatch my March 2010.

I need assistance as what can be done in the car, besides getting it a brand new coat of paint. I would not want anything flashy, but a little extra power is always welcome. I have defined a budget of 50-60k for the whole thing, and what would the best place to get the needful done in Bangalore.

Thanks!
aditbelw is offline   Reply With Quote