Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2009, 23:54   #316
BHPian

I am no light-o-logist - but SGHC takes into account heat absorbed, convected and radiated inwardly which SC doesnt.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:07   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I am tempted to ask such questions quite often, but usually hesitate in order to avoid answers like "please google" or "use search feature, it really works".

Well, here are the answers to your questions-
SGHC, I think it should be SHGC based on post #297 => Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
VLT=> Visible Light Transmission
TSER=> Total Solar Energy Rejection
Here is a WIP sunfilm comparison guide with explanation of terms listed above. also included is warranty information usually given with the films. Dont have Graware data to add in and cost / sq ft will be added in due time. comments welcome to correct mistakes.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: xls car sunfilms comparison.xls (28.0 KB, 3053 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 11:56   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Mate - If I get your drift in terms of ICE quality you going to install, I will defintely put in a rear sun film - not to protect the people but the ICE. UV cut off is nearly 100% and that will be a big plus for your ICE longevity and look and feel.
BTW which thread has your selection process - which model - is it 4x4 by any chance - I am going mad doings TDs of Xylo, Innova, Safari, Scorpio over last two months and still undecided.
Hmmm..now I agree. I will have two components on the rear (infinity) and a sub + and an Amp.

My selection process: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...here-done.html

Also run a search on Scorpio and hook up with the first couple of threads. Lot of posts where people randomly walk in and ask good questions.

Though this is absolutely the wrong thread, I will tell you what I am thinking:

1. Xylo: Looks ugly. Fugly. Only someone named Bubli will drive it.
2. Innova: Superb. But more taxi. Too big. Not butch.
3. Safari: Reliability issues. Me no like Tata ***.
4. Scorpio: Looks *okay*. Looks butch. Not taxi. Manageable ride comfort. Easy in the city. Suspension overhauled in new Mhawk. Prices dropped. Exceptional VFM.

Take your pick.

Quote:
Option 3: RE-70 on front/rear RE-50 on side will cost you approximately 9 to 9.5K for Scorpio if I remember right when one of my friends got it done recently. Cant remember whether he just put RE-50 on side and rear and RE-70 on the front. The like to like for hatchback is between 5K and 6K.
So sort of apply the same scale-up ratio on the options costs. Note both of these are un-negotiated prices.
Hmmm...I think I will go for this. Wish I could see an example somewhere of all three before I make a decision. Any pictures here of this?

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st March 2009 at 12:01.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:08   #319
Senior - BHPian

az, very nice chart. I can give you two updates though - VK-70 has a light green shade. VK-40 is dark grey. Warranty is for five years, against even "natural fading".
Old 31st March 2009, 13:32   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
wavelength (lambda) : UV>visi>IR... microwaves
IR contributes to heating up, but borders on visible spectrum. Ergo...
DUDE, The spectrum is just the other way around-that is :: IR >Visible>UV as far as wavelength is considered.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:58   #321
BHPian

Default version 0.2 of sun film comparator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
az, very nice chart. I can give you two updates though - VK-70 has a light green shade. VK-40 is dark grey. Warranty is for five years, against even "natural fading".
Thanks ImmortalZ, added - also added Garware main films (not the cheap ones and its pricing) and some other relevant dope.
Attached Files
File Type: xls sunfilms comparison v2.xls (122.0 KB, 962 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 14:44   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ImmortalZ, added - also added Garware main films (not the cheap ones and its pricing) and some other relevant dope.
I happened to visit the authorized Distributor for Garware in Chandigarh and its Khan Enterprises, Contact Khalid Khan (+91-9316135068).

And for the prices you have mentioned in the excel are similar to what he quoted to me.

Thanks Adzegeek, for such useful compilation
santsharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2009, 16:37   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sahil - Just curious - because this series doesnt seem to exist on V-kool web site - what is the VLT%age - the max TSER you can see on the site is in 60+%age only for automotive films.
I am almost sure that it's the Diamond series V-kool because I remember not putting the higher one because it was greenish. This was the second best and came in the shade I wanted.

Thanks for the excel sheet, its the best addition to this thread !
Now only if you can put up the pricing of the Vcool,Lumar and 3M it would be perfect

The garware top-end Grand looks really promising. Well priced too, 32 sq.ft should suffice for a large premium sedan?

I have the garware windshield clear film on one car and vcool clear on the other, its a big difference in price but the vcool is much better for clarity.

How good is lumar front clear film? I think Garware grand for the sides and lumar for the front windshield should be a good combo.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:49   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Now only if you can put up the pricing of the Vcool,Lumar and 3M it would be perfect
Do recommendations from S-bhpians work for faster promotion to non-moderated post categories?

I am working on the pricing... as per law, the MRP should be there on the packaging, but you will be surprised by the opaqueness with which dealers and installers work.

Quote:
The garware top-end Grand looks really promising. Well priced too, 32 sq.ft should suffice for a large premium sedan?

I have the garware windshield clear film on one car and vcool clear on the other, its a big difference in price but the vcool is much better for clarity.

How good is lumar front clear film? I think Garware grand for the sides and lumar for the front windshield should be a good combo.
I like one provider per car for all sides, front rear - the good VFM and compliant films are AIR75/PP50 combination from Llumar and the real gem is CR70/RE50 or CR70/CR50 combination from 3M. Garware Grand bugs me being 40% VLT - and with Cops getting stricter you never know when they will rip it apart. Being in Bombay, I dont think you will need that extra darkness, I assume! On garware also, I have heard a few complaints - but all these guys didnt bother to get the awesome warranty cards and bills etc.
Old 31st March 2009, 20:44   #325
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, pricing wise, I installed VK-70 on all glass surfaces on my Civic and it came to around 34500/-. If I were to use VK-40 on the sides, the rate would have been 36000/-.

The Civic has one of the largest (if not the the largest) glass area for sedans in India, so the expense is quite expected. Front windscreen alone would have cost nearly 10K.

I got it done from an accessories shop here in TVM. But the authorized dealers came from Cochin with the people and tools to do the job. I was told that they had a paint booth - esque facility which allowed them to install films much more thoroughly and efficiently and at a lower total MRP. This is almost the exact opposite of what someone said earlier on this forum, that authorized dealer/installers have higher cost than an accessory shop when it comes to V-Kool. Do your own research and make up your mind.

And as for a review, the cost is justified in my opinion. My Civic, with its airy feel retained, is more comfortable to sit in while crusing on a sunny day than a friend's Alto with near-opaque blue sun film - claustrophobic with the front windscreen frying my face off. Yesyes, I know, different segments, price bands etc. I was just considering the difference in atmosphere good sunfilm gives you.

And before I know it, I've written too much.
Old 31st March 2009, 21:25   #326
BHPian

Quote:
The Civic has one of the largest (if not the the largest) glass area for sedans in India
It is - probably the only cheaper vehicle which would require more will be infamous Tata Sierra

Quote:
This is almost the exact opposite of what someone said earlier on this forum, that authorized dealer/installers have higher cost than an accessory shop when it comes to V-Kool. Do your own research and make up your mind.
Agree - even if it means spending a few hundreds/grands more depending on your budget but great films get destroyed by poor installations. My confidence level increases when I see people right tools for the job.

Quote:
And as for a review, the cost is justified in my opinion. My Civic, with its airy feel retained, is more comfortable to sit in while crusing on a sunny day than a friend's Alto with near-opaque blue sun film - claustrophobic with the front windscreen frying my face off. Yesyes, I know, different segments, price bands etc. I was just considering the difference in atmosphere good sunfilm gives you.
+1 - well said - I wonder why people prefer coloured/dyed films - unless you have some extremely ulterior motive - clear is better.
Old 31st March 2009, 22:58   #327
Senior - BHPian

where to get llumar original in mumbai ? i went to a few dealers they range from 1100 to 1400. i am confused. llmar says bhavi motors at milan is autorized and he is asking 1800 for the same. the platinum series one guy giving for 1500 and llumar says its for 4500. damn confused. how to check the llumar original ?
Old 1st April 2009, 09:06   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, this sheet is the essence of the thread!
If I had to add something, then I would say a column which mentions whether the film affects coverage of cellphones, GPS etc. We want to block IR, but not extend it all the way down. Metallic films are expected to reduce radio coverage inside cabin.

Quote:
Garware Grand bugs me being 40% VLT - and with Cops getting stricter you never know when they will rip it apart.
I heard that even the government is going to get stricter on all traffic related violations. It seems they may increase fine amounts many folds from existing ones, and that includes "tinted films" as well. I hope cops should not be allowed to book you unless they are equipped with a reliable meter, and also they should have some margin over allowed VLT. If the legal limits are 70% and 50% minimum, then they should book if it is measured below 60% and 40%. But that is too much to expect, I know.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:47   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Couldn't agree more, this sheet is the essence of the thread!
If I had to add something, then I would say a column which mentions whether the film affects coverage of cellphones, GPS etc. We want to block IR, but not extend it all the way down. Metallic films are expected to reduce radio coverage inside cabin.
santosh, how do you get the spectrum blocking data for each film but for anecdotal evidence from THBPians? I know for sure which ones are metallic and which ones are not, so can add that column - but beyond that, very hard to assess.
On my experience, I was a bit apprehensive with RE film on the same count, but havent found any material difference in cellphone reception. The Garmin nuvi 610 that I have still connects to Sats in normal time (~ 20-30 seconds depends more on tunnels that I have cross as I come out of parking) when put on the dash or on windscreen.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:40   #330
BHPian

Quote:
santosh, how do you get the spectrum blocking data for each film but for anecdotal evidence from THBPians? I know for sure which ones are metallic and which ones are not, so can add that column - but beyond that, very hard to assess.
Right! Some manufacturers specifically mention that radio reception is not affected, but I don't expect those which do impact it to warn us. Only user reviews is something that we can look forward to.
Closed Thread