Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th July 2005, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Baleno add-on blues- problems of a nomadic existence

Hi Guys,
I'm from Sikkim. I booked a Baleno Lxi at Beekay Auto, Siliguri (W.Bengal) and am expecting delivery next week or so. I got a discount of 50 grands on it. This covers the 1st year insurance of Rs 22,439/- and the balance 28 odd grands, I don't get the money back but HAVE to spend on MGA at the dealers.

Now I have been pouring and pouring over all the threads here and I find that the prices quoted by my dealer is waaay too high as compared to the what U guys are getting-

Here's the quotation from the dealers at Siliguri-

-MGA Fog Lamps- Rs 13,000/- ( Expensive but seems the others are also quoted the same in the metros as by Ur posts)
- Teflon Coating- Rs 3,306/-
- Underbody Anti Rust- Rs1,950/-
- Door Handles paint to body color- Rs 200/ -each = Rs1,600/-
- Outside 2 Mirrors paint to body color- Rs 1,200/-
- MGA Nippon locking- Rs 5,500/- ( Seems fair)
-Chrome Centre Garnish a'la Vxi- They don't know the price as yet!

- Rear window demister- They advised not to do it as there seem to be lot's of complaints about the whole shebang burning up!!

- Vxi Spoiler with body color paint- Bloody Rs 16,000/- ( U guys seem to be getting it done for 7-8 grands in total!!)

I understand that I'm out here in the remote part of the galaxy, but taking into account the transportation charges, carriage, VAT, Local taxes etc. etc., the prices still seem to be wayyy off. Yet the dealer assures me that the MGA prices are uniform all across the country and the only diff. is cause of the carriage and taxes!!

Now, if i don't put in these accessories at the dealer, what do i get for the 28G at these prices?

Here's a bigger price discrepancy-

I wanted to put in alloys and 195/60r14 tyres and the only proper Neo Alloy and Bridgestone/ Apollo dealer with wheel balancing facility in this godforsaken dump refused to budge below this price-

-Bridgestone Potenza GIII in 195/60r14- Rs 3,900 per tyre amounting to Rs 19,500/- for 5 tyres.

- 14"Neo Alloy wheels (Matrix) - Rs 3,740- Rs Rs 18,700/- for 5 Alloys.

- Less, for 5 original S322 Bridgestones 165/80r13 He offered not more than Rs1,100/- per tyre = Rs 5,500/- for 5 tyres, if i drive directly from the showroom to his stinking hovel.

- Less, for the original steel rims, I get Rs 200 per rim= Rs 1,000/- for 5 rims.

I know I'm being taken for a ride, but how Big a ride is it?
I mean is it like, "ummm, yeah the prices are high but whatcanyado? U'r out there in the wilderness and the sole dealer is king...." or is it like " SweetJesus! Don't do that. Guy's cheating Ur socks off" kinda thing.

I'm having similar problems in the music department and have posted an even more gut wrenchingly boring, self pitying S.O.S to Sam. Have a faint hope that he might just take pity on me.

What do U guys advise? Should I dump this whole idea and just drive down to Calcutta one fine day in my 13" spoilerless car and stay for a couple of days just to get everything there? Will be expensive but maybe if the prices around these parts are that much off.... But what do I get for the 28Gs? Kinda like a deal with the Devil.

Please Advice fellows.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 20:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
What do U guys advise? Should I dump this whole idea and just drive down to Calcutta one fine day in my 13" spoilerless car and stay for a couple of days just to get everything there? Will be expensive but maybe if the prices around these parts are that much off.... But what do I get for the 28Gs? Kinda like a deal with the Devil.
Most of the stuff he's getting (what you've mentioned above) are from Calcutta. It's a good idea to go there and get it done...BUT your distance from Gangtok to Calcutta can't be less than 850-950 km. Selling your tyres and expect a good price for them could be a problem. Especially when the roads down the line are pretty bad due to monsoon.
Let me know before you make your trip. I'll try to find out the best deals in Calcutta.

By the way, you were planning to buy a SWIFT. Isn't it?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 23:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

One thing can be that the volumes in sikkim may be less and hence the prices...if the tyre dealer takes back the 165/80 tyres it might be a long wait before he can sell them to others....

MGA Fog Lamps- Rs 13,000/- ( Expensive but seems the others are also quoted the same in the metros as by Ur posts) ---CORRECT
- Teflon Coating- Rs 3,306/- I PAID 4800...DONT KNOW WHICH TEFLON THOUGH :-)
- Underbody Anti Rust- Rs1,950/- I WAS ASKED RS 2200 BY VARUN IN HYD...HAVE NOT GOT IT DONE
- Door Handles paint to body color- Rs 200/ -each = Rs1,600/- ...NO CLUE ABOUT THIS..HAVE A BLACK CAR SO THE COLOR GENERALLY MATCHES
- Outside 2 Mirrors paint to body color- Rs 1,200/-NO CLUE ABOUT THIS..HAVE A BLACK CAR SO THE COLOR GENERALLY MATCHES

- MGA Nippon locking- Rs 5,500/- ( Seems fair) CORRECT...AS FAR AS DEALER PRICES GO...AROUND 5 K IS FAIR
-Chrome Centre Garnish a'la Vxi- They don't know the price as yet!
-Vxi Spoiler with body color paint- Bloody Rs 16,000/- ( U guys seem to be getting it done for 7-8 grands in total!!)you can get a spoile for as little as 2K...BUT THE MARUTI MGA SPOILER WAS QUOTED AROUND 14-15K TO ME BY THE DEALER AS IT IS ARGUABLY IMPORTED FROM JAPAN....
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 00:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I'm from Sikkim. I booked a Baleno Lxi at Beekay Auto, Siliguri (W.Bengal) and am expecting delivery next week or so. I got a discount

Please Advice fellows.
I believe that you are within 10-20% of maruti dealer quoted prices for MGAs elsewhere in India...now while it is arguable that we can get stuff of similar quality/different brand cheaper in rest of India..the MGA costs are generally in the 10-20% band that you will get elsewhere...
My suggestion would be to use the MGA allowance for teflon/ remote locking / fog lamps / music system (if you get a good deal).....as the car ECU costs 52k+ (I am told by salesperson...could not confirm with the service centre) and electrical warranty is void if you install aftermarket equipment (very grey area here) tyres maybe you can call up someone, put your car on stilts and send the wheels out for exchange..another option is to get someone in Cal to send yuo wheels mounted with tyres and you get the new tyres...mount them and drive out to Cal with spare tyres in the rear seat of your car to give them away for exchange..however the fuel costs alone can be quite a bit here....

Last edited by Buffetfan : 29th July 2005 at 00:09.
Old 29th July 2005, 02:01   #5
BHPian

i was givena quote of 8500 odd by vitesse for the spoiler. so that sounds like a scam

Also the whole bit abou having to spend on only MGA items sounds completely wrong.

I got a 60K disount on the car and took it off my downpaykment. very straightfwd
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Most of the stuff he's getting (what you've mentioned above) are from Calcutta. It's a good idea to go there and get it done...BUT your distance from Gangtok to Calcutta can't be less than 850-950 km. Selling your tyres and expect a good price for them could be a problem. Especially when the roads down the line are pretty bad due to monsoon.
Let me know before you make your trip. I'll try to find out the best deals in Calcutta.

By the way, you were planning to buy a SWIFT. Isn't it?
Yup. Had booked a swift Zxi in May but the dealer kept postponing the delivery date and finally in Mid July told me that I won't get delivery before Nov- Dec. Got fed-up and decided to add a bit and go in for a Baleno instead!

Hey thanks. I'd appreciate it if U could find the best deals & places as I'm due to go to Cal in 1st week Sep.
Old 29th July 2005, 13:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
i was givena quote of 8500 odd by vitesse for the spoiler. so that sounds like a scam

Also the whole bit abou having to spend on only MGA items sounds completely wrong.

I got a 60K disount on the car and took it off my downpaykment. very straightfwd
Yeah, but seems I can't fight city hall
Old 29th July 2005, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Puff, I dont know about MGA/Baleno prices, but I can still say that prices for fog lamps and spoiler are way too high. (ridiculous high for spoiler). Company spoiler should cost around 7-8K, while after market spoilers start from as low as 3K. I suspect similar thing for Fog lamps. I suggest, you spend those remaining 28K on more reasonable items.

Prices for alloys look alright, but the tyres appear to be on more expensive side. If you are not performance freak, you can stick with stock tyres and upgrade them next time. (But I find stock tyres really puny).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 16:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Had booked a swift Zxi in May but the dealer kept postponing the delivery date and finally in Mid July told me that I won't get delivery before Nov- Dec. Got fed-up and decided to add a bit and go in for a Baleno instead!

Hey thanks. I'd appreciate it if U could find the best deals & places as I'm due to go to Cal in 1st week Sep.

Two of my friends too cancelled their swift bookings and opted for Baleno due to the indefinite delay quoted by the showroom.Got the baleno the very next day
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2005, 16:42   #10
BHPian

You can scare city hall by telling them that you contacted Maruti sales and they said that the discount should go to you in any way that you want

Do this- check with the dealers in cal, by phone or something. net.
Contact Maruti to check the reality, coz the dealers sometimes try ans wswindle you esp when there's no competition. But show them the fact sheet and they run. Esp if the are contravening company regs

try yr luck. Or bluff it, by satying all my friends in cal have so and so offer etc etc
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 02:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

RX135,
you are correct...the MGA prices are ridiculous....but these are the prices quoted by maruti :(.