Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st August 2005, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Default Stuck with seat upholstery choice

Hey guys - I would like to know your opinion on what color/type
seat covers will suit my Moon Mist Gray (dark metallic gray) Petra.

I am inclined in favor of the beige PU ones because I know
they work well on black cars. I'm not sure whether it'll suit gray, though.

The guideline is that I DO wish to have a suave,
sophisticated look for my car (opposed to flashy or grungy).
Looking forward to your inputs ...

Last edited by camry93 : 1st August 2005 at 15:12.
camry93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 15:41   #2
BHPian

Hi Camry93,

Ummm..matter of personal choice.
H'ever, avoid the PU (PolyUrethrene) or such synthetic material. Upkeep is tough and the Sticky post-swating feeling is really cheesy. Better go for fibrics or likes or better still, pure leather if the budget allows it.

Cheers
Xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 15:49   #3
BHPian

Hmm, I understand, captain.
But I do not want to spend 20K on leather covers -
certainly not in my budget. Besides I like Pam Anderson
and her PETA campaign

I know PU is synthetic. But then, is it that bad?
I mean, so many people have PU, right?
OTOH, fabric is very difficult to clean and looks
very grubby after a while.

Last edited by camry93 : 1st August 2005 at 16:00.
Old 1st August 2005, 16:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Besides I like Pam Anderson
and her PETA campaign
Nice one, that

Two thoughts I have on this Seat cover thing -
aa) If the cover is to Cover the seats and improve longevity - forget it. Buy the covers 4~5 years from now when the upholstry starts giving way. You never know, you maybe wanna change the car by then too! My Santro is 6 years old and still no covers - Seats are still OK and I am seriously contemplating to change the car by next year.

bb) For "sophisticated look", if I may quote you - Go ahead and pick your choice!
Leather is expensive (I do not have leather seats either!) but wears very well. PU has a tendency to develop cracks and tears which look awful with time.
If you still wanna go for the PUs, keep the AC ON as much as you can

BTW, if the fabric looks grubby after a while, Change once again. With fabric being the cheaper option, you can change more frequently. Same for the foot mats - Go for a decent carpet thingy and when it gets worn out, buy a new one. My Swift has fairly thick and nice mats for INR 550 or so. I'll change em after 2 years. Simple.

Cheers

Last edited by Xsailor : 1st August 2005 at 16:35.
Xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 17:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok here is some useful information. I agree with you totally that fabric doesnt give a sophisticated look like leather and PU. PU starts at around 2k and goes all the way up to 5k depending on your choice. Please resist from buying light colors, like beige etc. They look really great for the first 6 months and than they just wear out. If you go for a PU for 3k, you MUST, and I emphasize must change the covers after one year, as the PU wears out sooner than leather.
You can also consider Stanley seat covers that have mix of leather and PU. Maruti is offering them with Swift for 9k. I think its well worth the price, if you can take into account that leather will last you at least a year longer than PU.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 18:21   #6
BHPian

Default 6 yesr santro without any covers

I fully agree with Xsailor.

Origanal seat fabric is the best unless u are in M800 or semi fabric trim car. My santro seats have lasted me 6 years without any problem . I do forthnightly vaccuming, onea while sampoo ( carpet cleaner - can buyt at 200 bucks and last a Year).

However the good thing is no fabric can give you as good cofort as the origanl factory fitted because the finsih is quite diffrent. Also U will loose out on small tidbits like backside trays/ pockets etc and the annoying laces coming in between the seat adjusters or fuel openenrs
pranil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

It also depends a bit on your build..(Please dont laugh)....putting any king od seat cover reduces the available space on the seat and also in the car....it can be upto an inch in front/back ...so if you are a six footer and have a medium to heavy built...you will find the stock seats most comfortable..
I have tried many covers...still find the stock seats most comfortable...maybe I will go for some plain cloth cover if at all (that too since my daughter keeps playing with candies in the car...!!
Most of the cars I have seen...do not require seat changes well till it is time to change the car...I have seen 5+ year ols stock seats, without covers, looking very much in shape and pretty fresh...
I and my friend bought our unos at the same time..he did not put covers..I did...today his seats look better than my covers...and I am sure that in the process of putting seat covers, my original seat sealing has been tinkered with..so I cannot go without covers now!!!

Last edited by Buffetfan : 1st August 2005 at 23:42.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Besides I like Pam Anderson
and her PETA campaign
Nice one, that
I could explain why I like Pam Anderson in great detail but I'm in office right now!

Hmm, interesting. The Stanleys - how are they constructed? What is the material used for the portion used to support your butt? I would presume that it is leather. Let me know if I am wrong.

I agree that the wear on the original seat fabric will be much better than any PU cover I choose. But since I'm not THAT tall (I'm 5' 8") I don't mind upgrading the look while compromising a little on space.

OK, lets see if I come to any decision on this one.

Last edited by camry93 : 2nd August 2005 at 10:23.
Old 1st October 2005, 21:16   #9
JLN
BHPian

I have a scarlet sage (dark red) hyundai getz and am considering PU seat covers. Hyundai offers a beige colour/blackred combi perforated seat cover for about 6000. Is it worth it. Also let me know which colour will look better.
JLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 22:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

guys what abt Gsport? They are good, and are available in nice sporty shades.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 07:29   #11
BHPian

I agree with some views here that one should stick to the original seats and put covers only when they get grungy, by which time you may be ready for resale.

In my case, because of three small children I've put PU seat covers, beige on the Getz and black on the Baleno. They look very smart, and never fail to draw admiring looks. Best of all, icecream and food stains come off with a damp cloth. The disadvantage is the sweaty feeling behind my back, which I have cured with a beaded backrest, and the fact that they do not fit as snug as original. Next time will opt for OE PU seat cover fittings, where they remove the stock seat covers and fit the new ones tight and snug.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 08:43   #12
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
I agree with some views here that one should stick to the original seats and put covers only when they get grungy, by which time you may be ready for resale.

In my case, because of three small children I've put PU seat covers, beige on the Getz and black on the Baleno. They look very smart, and never fail to draw admiring looks. Best of all, icecream and food stains come off with a damp cloth. The disadvantage is the sweaty feeling behind my back, which I have cured with a beaded backrest, and the fact that they do not fit as snug as original. Next time will opt for OE PU seat cover fittings, where they remove the stock seat covers and fit the new ones tight and snug.
Hey Man,

You took the words out of my mouth. If you want to look at practicality PU is the way to go. As far as cracking/chipping goes all I can say is they must have used cheap quality. I have been using PU covers fitted like OE seats in my cars from the past 10 years and none of the covers have even remotely faded/chipped/cracked. It all depends on how you maintain your car. The lighter colours do get dirty but there are ways to restore them to the original condition. The ones I had cost me approx 4k. I also have a 1 year son and have opted for PU for my Getz which I am expected to get delivery of on Tuesday. They are the easiest to clean and maintain. At the end it all boils down to personal choice.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 16:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

My Santro zipdrive is 4 years old and uptil now the company trimmings have sutied me fine. But now the seat has become a little hard and sunken so im planning to go in for some imitation leather (PU) seat covers and foam filling.

I would like to get a colour combination to go with the car (black), somethign sporty. Sometime back a friend of mine had got a red esteem VXI and customised upolstery from Mangalore. A combination of beige/red. Looked very nice, and a perfect fit and finish.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 12:35   #14
BHPian

Hi,

According to me i would suggest u 2 go in for a Custom Made to order design & Outstiched. with a contrast in it.

It should b the best option.

Enjoy Revving...
rareone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Default Hi Camry93

My personal opinion is that please DO NOT GO for PU.In summer u'll sweat like hell!!! Better go for Fabric or Pure leather if can afford it.A friend of mine has got Stanley leather seat covers,Steering cover,Gear Knob,Door sides,Hand Brake lever for 23k.(Bangalore,Indiranagar).Fabrics are equally good and less strain in u r pocket.
Final Verdict:If u r budget allows u , then go for the Pure Leather.
If not go for Fabrics.
shiva_cool87 is offline   Reply With Quote