Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th August 2012, 18:37   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A tuning box cheats the ecu and injector pressures are higher than normal.

A remap is a complete package

Check out race dynamics for their products
Yes, but is remap more prone to give problems in the long run for cars like punto or figo?
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 18:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316

Yes, but is remap more prone to give problems in the long run for cars like punto or figo?
Honestly.I don't know. Sorry
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 17:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
If performed with utmost care by a thorough professional, remap is a good option. If the tuner stores your stock map and then loads the new map it is good. But he might charge you every time you want to shift from stock to new map or change settings on the new map which might not sit well with some.

On the other hand, the tuning box is a plug and play which is in your control. You use it when you want it and remove it when you dont want it. In fact some boxes like EngineCal's MECU are very advanced. It is not a conventional box. It is mapped very precisely by an ex-OEM team dedicated to performance with reliability. They have a calibration developed individually for each car. So you have something in between tuning boxes and remaps. Details are mentioned in the link.

Both have its advantages and disadvantages! You are the best judge.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th August 2012 at 17:27.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 18:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If performed with utmost care by a thorough professional, remap is a good option. If the tuner stores your stock map and then loads the new map it is good. But he might charge you every time you want to shift from stock to new map or change settings on the new map which might not sit well with some.

On the other hand, the tuning box is a plug and play which is in your control. You use it when you want it and remove it when you dont want it. In fact some boxes like EngineCal's MECU are very advanced. It is not a conventional box. It is mapped very precisely by an ex-OEM team dedicated to performance with reliability. They have a calibration developed individually for each car. So you have something in between tuning boxes and remaps. Details are mentioned in the link.

Both have its advantages and disadvantages! You are the best judge.
Thanks your info has been very helpful. This is the first time i have heard of EngineCal. Is it better as compared to a Petes, or an RD or Unichip? Any idea on its cost?
Old 7th August 2012, 18:48   #50
BHPian

I did have an oppurtunity to drive a car fitted with Diesel power , i know they do have the dual channel box as well .TUNING MODULES TO MAKE DIESEL ENGINES PERFORM LIKE MODIFIED GAS E . thats there website .

As far as i know they are planning to set up operations in India ,
ego4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 18:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time i have heard of EngineCal. Is it better as compared to a Petes, or an RD or Unichip? Any idea on its cost?
EngineCal has its presence in Delhi as well. Best is to contact them on the number in their website and speak to them. If you are convinced then you will look no further than them. Else you always have Pete's, RD, Unichip etc. Since I don't own a diesel, i dont have the specific costs off hand. Speak to them or contact them on facebook and you can directly ask for a good deal on the price.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 11:34   #52

Hi guys,
Am contemplating installing the Race Dynamics Dieseltronic pro box in my XUV, just wanted to check whether anyone has done a similar mod to their xuv, if so, how is it performing?
Tks
Sanju Bedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 13:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanju Bedi View Post
Hi guys,
Am contemplating installing the Race Dynamics Dieseltronic pro box in my XUV, just wanted to check whether anyone has done a similar mod to their xuv, if so, how is it performing?
Tks
Dont have an XUV so cant comment. But do let us know your feedback once you have installed it.

I am deciding between Petes, RD and EngineCal
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 14:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanju Bedi View Post
Hi guys,
Tks
The Mahindra XUV that won the desert storm rally this year ran on a Reacedynamics DieselTronic Tuning Box. Of course, it did have Gaurav Gill behind the wheel!
binz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 14:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
The Mahindra XUV that won the desert storm rally this year ran on a Reacedynamics DieselTronic Tuning Box. Of course, it did have Gaurav Gill behind the wheel!
Also, the RD box was not exactly the regular one which we use in our cars. It had a different setting.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the RD box was not exactly the regular one which we use in our cars. It had a different setting.
That goes without saying, the maps would have been set up differently. The hardware though would have been the same.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 21:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Are these tuning boxes as untraceable as the manufacturers claim ?

Assume a car under warranty with a tuning box has a expensive engine component failure. Manufacturers are very strict when it comes to honoring such claims and will do a thorough check before replacing that part.

Will the ECU not show increased fuel being pumped in as against the stock setup ? Even if the box is removed prior to giving it for service/warranty claims.

Or are these boxes 'smart' enough to leave no trace ? Somehow,I find this hard to believe and seems like marketing talk to me.

Gurus please help
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 12:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
Are these tuning boxes as untraceable as the manufacturers claim ?

Assume a car under warranty with a tuning box has a expensive engine component failure. Manufacturers are very strict when it comes to honoring such claims and will do a thorough check before replacing that part.

Will the ECU not show increased fuel being pumped in as against the stock setup ? Even if the box is removed prior to giving it for service/warranty claims.

Or are these boxes 'smart' enough to leave no trace ? Somehow,I find this hard to believe and seems like marketing talk to me.

Gurus please help
In most cases, the tuning box is after the ECU . So its not possible for it to record the high pressure !!
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 13:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

In most cases, the tuning box is after the ECU . So its not possible for it to record the high pressure !!
Don't these tuning boxes feed false sensor values to the ECU which then pumps in more fuel? Or is my understanding wrong.

If that's the case, its very likely that the parameter violation will be recorded by the ECU right ?

I'm talking about a scenario where you have to claim warranty for a car running with a box.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 14th October 2012 at 13:43.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 16:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk

Don't these tuning boxes feed false sensor values to the ECU which then pumps in more fuel? Or is my understanding wrong.

If that's the case, its very likely that the parameter violation will be recorded by the ECU right ?

I'm talking about a scenario where you have to claim warranty for a car running with a box.
The tuning boxes alter or increase the pulse to each of the injectors,hence leading to higher inflow of diesel spray. If you remove the box before giving to service, even if the ecu records the codes, there is no way they can catch you since the box itself is not there in the engine bay.

Even if they ask you directly whether you have installed a tuning box,you can put up a innocent face and ask them what is tuning box!? Lol;-)

I see you are In double minds whether to go for tuning box for your polo or not. I suggest, you go for it. Just make sure you don't put up the stickers of race dynamics anywhere on your car and remove the box before giving the car to service center. It Will definitely improve the power delivery of your polo and you can still have your warranty. Win win!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th October 2012 at 16:23.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote