Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th August 2005, 12:26   #16
BHPian

Default Nice work !!

Nice job, but what was the need to remove the rear-seats?? Instead remove the side panels and put in sheet-metal to cover the rear windows.. I agree with veyron1 that handling would be a problem at higher speeds on highways.. Since the entire engineering has undergone a change and tail-balancing would be completely lost..

Guess what, i liked the air-vent on the hood to make it appear like a la-mustang hood.. And the spare wheel on the rear-door also looks cool.. And so does the double-toned body on the back.. But he should have changed the front-bumper to a double color too..

Over all a nice effort... But the centre of gravity of the vehicle has definitely been raised because of the short wheel-base.. So has veyron said handle this baby well on higher speeds..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 18:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Jokes apart I did speak with many of the Tata dealers and they are all of the opinion that the Ace truck is probably the platform for the 1-lakh car just as the Tatamobile was for their original car project. Question is, WHAT do they take off to reduce costs because the Ace costs Rs.2.35 lakhs on the road, though they would obviously doing much bigger volumes on a 1-lakh car than what they are doing with the Ace.
The Ace may not be the platform...Its a front engine/RWD config...while some inside information on the 1-lakh car indicates that it will be tranverse midrear-engine rear wheel drive....The cost saving comes not from the design but from the high volumes and outsourcing to outside suppliers who may be supplied the car in kit form, thus saving hugely on taxes....some parts may even come from China...But dont quote me on this....

Ananth
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 18:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
The Ace may not be the platform...Its a front engine/RWD config...while some inside information on the 1-lakh car indicates that it will be tranverse midrear-engine rear wheel drive....
Ananth
The Ace is mid-engine rear wheel drive, unless I'm mistaken the engine sits under the driver's seat.

Sources indicate with a high deal of probability that the final assembly will be at the dealership/franchisee, to reduce costs by keeping statutory dues to the minimum. In most likelihood these franchisees may also be registered SSIs (Small Scale Industries) to get additional benefits on that front.

Apparently there is going to be a lot of engineering plastics involved as well, keeping sheet metal to the parts that are safety-related. IMHO this product should help Tata Motors as a manufacturer, as their vehicles are unnaturally heavy. The Safari tops it at 2730 kgs, which is a lot of metal.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 20:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Safari tops it at 2730 kgs, which is a lot of metal.
i think you mean gvw, with all the occupants and fluids aboard....but the gvw of the safari DICOR is 2780 kgs for the four-wheel drive. and the kerb weight is 2225 kgs, for 4x4 (2040 for the 2.0 IDI 4x4).....a 2-tonner behemoth, nevertheless...

but hold on....the 1-lac car is going to be a rear-wheel drive...???!!! ola' tata...bravo...kudos.... i mean, we STILL don't have ANY decent rear-wheel drive sedans under the 20-lac bench (discount the contessa and the amby- the are classics, and can't be included in the rat race; and the tata estate wasn't exactly a sedan- it was a stationwagon)..... i don't care how underpowered the car is , but if it's going to be a rear wheel drive, then it's got my vote.....just imagine, a rear-wheel drive hatch, and that too from tata... i think i can assume for sure that the car is going to have excellent dynamics (for a 1 lac rupee car), and would put the 'bread and butter' marutis to shame...

now, if only someone sensible would get into tata's passenger car hot seat, and do some overhauls....maybe we could see a 10-lac rear wheel drive 150 bhp tata sedan in the very near future....(??) mr. ratan...are you listening...(or maybe he's currently getting inspired by the sl 500 that he drives...)??

p.s- when the hell are we gonna get some decent rear wheel drives under the 15 lac bracket...?? i think it's about bloody time someone did something....
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 20:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Ace is mid-engine rear wheel drive, unless I'm mistaken the engine sits under the driver's seat.
And where does the driver sit? Right on the front axle, which makes the ace a front-engine RWD....The construction is very similar to the Maruti Omni but the engine is slightly shorter due to one less cylinder...

I feel that a Versa-like van variant with more power (maybe the Indica engine itself) can be built very easily on the Ace chassis...Is it exactly what Tata's planning? That's anybody's guess...A sub 3 lac diesel van could sound the death knell for the miserable Omni...

Veyron - The 1-lac car (lets call it the new Mint) may be RWD, but expecting sports-car like dynamics from it is a bit too much....The rear suspension may have little more finesse than the one on the Bajaj RE autorickshaw....The car will probably be proportioned to have a short wheelbase and a high overall height.....but it will be extremely maneuverable and hence fun to drive in a 'fast-twitch' kind of way....anyone remember the Dolphin?

Ananth
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 21:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1-lac car (lets call it the new Mint) may be RWD, but expecting sports-car like dynamics from it is a bit too much
i never said that the "mint" would compete with the M3, ananth... all i said was that it could be much more fun to drive than the 800s and altos and others....

like i said..
Quote:
and would put the 'bread and butter' marutis to shame...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 22:50   #22
BHPian

wild imagination. but looks pathetic. will this car handle well and also be safe i wonder!
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 02:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
wild imagination. but looks pathetic. will this car handle well and also be safe i wonder!
just doesn't feel right..
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 08:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
.....but it will be extremely maneuverable and hence fun to drive in a 'fast-twitch' kind of way....anyone remember the Dolphin?

Ananth
I do - and I remember the Dolphin every time I drive my Smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
i think you mean gvw, with all the occupants and fluids aboard....
now, if only someone sensible would get into tata's passenger car hot seat, and do some overhauls....maybe we could see a 10-lac rear wheel drive 150 bhp tata sedan in the very near future....(??)
Yes I do mean GVW, since thats what we will be driving around...

As for the latter, it should be very possible - they have a 2.4 litre 135+ bhp petrol engine and the 3 litre DICOR which should be good enough for 135 or more in a normal state of tune. They should be able to do it - the question is, WHEN? THeir new model development times are way too long to be competitive...

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th August 2005 at 08:56.
Old 15th August 2005, 09:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

The gentleman who did this radical surgery on the Indica is now a member of this forum. His ID is "suresh_krishnan"

His friend, the hospitality-oriented farmer of www.philipkuttysfarm.com is also a member and his id is "Philipkuttys"

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th August 2005 at 09:47.
Old 8th October 2005, 00:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Steeroid,

Heard u own a Mondy. Mind if u write a quick "owner's" review of the car.. maintenance costs etc etc..

I am planning to buy a second hand Mondy some time soon.

Cheers-
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 01:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

neat work. He certainly can sell this car in big numbers.

but I somehow dont like the headlights.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 01:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither: its his daily drive. He's now trying to get information on how to regularize this mod at the RTO...any help / information forthcoming will be highly appreciated.
Hi Steeroid, I don't about Mumbai or down South but here in UP it's a fairly easy job to get such jobs regularized at the RTO, all you have to do is bribe the idiots a cople or so thousand and they will happily do it for you. (I have even seen a Cielo with the roof chopped off completely and no soft top or anyother kind of covering!!!)
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 11:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Hi Steeroid, I don't about Mumbai or down South but here in UP it's a fairly easy job to get such jobs regularized at the RTO, all you have to do is bribe the idiots a cople or so thousand and they will happily do it for you. (I have even seen a Cielo with the roof chopped off completely and no soft top or anyother kind of covering!!!)
Thats not possible here...I'm not saying the RTO is lily white, but that sort of 'adjustment' doesnt happen here.
Old 10th October 2005, 12:18   #30
BHPian

Default cochin..

does Koyenco Motors/R F Motors belong to him ?

Quote:
The gentleman who did this radical surgery on the Indica is now a member of this forum. His ID is "suresh_krishnan"

His friend, the hospitality-oriented farmer of www.philipkuttysfarm.com is also a member and his id is "Philipkuttys"
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote