Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd March 2014, 18:59   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Came to know Stanley belongs to Black & Decker, Stanley is one of the product owned by them, they have lot of product including Stanley, Black & Decker, Dewalt, Porter Cable and lot more. In india Black & Decker is marketed by Bosch as per Metro cash and carry sales guy.

check the website

Stanley Black & Decker

Our Brands | Stanley Black & Decker
Hi,
Could you tell me what brand/type converter you are using for 220v to 120v conversion. I have heard that they have to be bought for the exact power rating used or else they will burn out and be dangerous to the equipment used. It would be nice if you could post a picture of it if possible. Thanks.
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:38   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Hi,
Could you tell me what brand/type converter you are using for 220v to 120v conversion. I have heard that they have to be bought for the exact power rating used or else they will burn out and be dangerous to the equipment used. It would be nice if you could post a picture of it if possible. Thanks.
Just get a 200 Rs worth converter you get in local shops, that is sufficient. I have used it for 3 years without any problem. As far as i know you just need AC converted to 110v, remaining conversion to DC is taken by equipment itself. Also you don't need higher wattage converter here.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 13:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Just get a 200 Rs worth converter you get in local shops, that is sufficient. I have used it for 3 years without any problem. As far as i know you just need AC converted to 110v, remaining conversion to DC is taken by equipment itself. Also you don't need higher wattage converter here.
Hi Shamath,

Am planning on buying the Brio Vx AT for my mum and i was worried about what she would do if the car battery stalled. Thats when i came across this thread and kudos to you on explaining all about jumper cables and starters even to a lay person like me

But now the million dollar question- any specific product/company/brand you reccomend for buying jumper cables for the brio ( i live in chennai) ? Also- while i have learnt from this thread that i should go for copper cables, is there something else i should look out for ??
Rollingwheels26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 15:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Hi Shamath,

Am planning on buying the Brio Vx AT for my mum and i was worried about what she would do if the car battery stalled. Thats when i came across this thread and kudos to you on explaining all about jumper cables and starters even to a lay person like me

But now the million dollar question- any specific product/company/brand you reccomend for buying jumper cables for the brio ( i live in chennai) ? Also- while i have learnt from this thread that i should go for copper cables, is there something else i should look out for ??
I am not aware of any Jump-starters being sold in India till now. But you can order from ebay global, but price is on higher side compared to original price.

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubSearch...p2052119.l1440
Old 4th March 2014, 15:14   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware of any Jump-starters being sold in India till now. But you can order from ebay global, but price is on higher side compared to original price.

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubSearch...p2052119.l1440

Shamath i was asking for jumper CABLES not jump starters !!
Old 5th March 2014, 13:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Shamath i was asking for jumper CABLES not jump starters !!
Sorry i did not see your question properly.

Most easily available ones are with Copper platted Clamps with Lead wire which should be enough. But care should be taken while using the cables to connect correct terminals, else there is risk of explosion and burning car electronics.

Its available in most leading automobile shop, else buy online in ebay or others shopping sites. I can see one below in ebay.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/200-amp-car-b...essories_parts
Old 5th March 2014, 17:18   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a couple of Jumpers supposed to be 500A from a chap in Kerala, as did another member. The cable was a sham, but the connectors were good. I replaced the wires with 10mm wires.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 19:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry i did not see your question properly.

Most easily available ones are with Copper platted Clamps with Lead wire which should be enough. But care should be taken while using the cables to connect correct terminals, else there is risk of explosion and burning car electronics.

Its available in most leading automobile shop, else buy online in ebay or others shopping sites. I can see one below in ebay.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/200-amp-car-b...essories_parts
I am planning to buy jumper cables that have copper cables instead of lead becuase i remember someone mentioning, on this thread, that they are more reliable. Correct me if i am wrong !

P.S I dont mind paying extra !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I bought a couple of Jumpers supposed to be 500A from a chap in Kerala, as did another member. The cable was a sham, but the connectors were good. I replaced the wires with 10mm wires.

Sir I am looking for some good quality cables that are good off the shelf and wont need to meddled with in any way (am not really a 'hands-on' type of person !)

Also- from your signature i can see you are a Brio AT owner. I will be joining your ranks by the end of this month
Old 20th March 2014, 13:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shamanth, I am having a lot of trouble ordering this jump starter from ebay global. The payment was refunded twice as the seller did not ship the item. Could you please tell me from which exact online retailer you bought the same or any other source you may be aware of. I need to buy it soon..Cheers
Old 20th March 2014, 13:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shamanth, I am having a lot of trouble ordering this jump starter from ebay global. The payment was refunded twice as the seller did not ship the item. Could you please tell me from which exact online retailer you bought the same or any other source you may be aware of. I need to buy it soon..Cheers
Its almost 4 years i brought this, i might not be able to track it. But in my ebay email its mentioned as "Thank you for confirming the receipt of item (GEB - 300394805037 - Stanley J5C09 - 500 Amp Jump Start) from seller i2cworld_inc3.".

So it looks like same seller who is selling now as listed "i2c world Inc" .

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...e-Energy-Power

did you try this seller?
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 14:13   #101
Senior - BHPian

Was confused by the title of the thread. Jump starters are same for both MT and AT vehicles. After reading found the necessity for the cables But still dont we have a thread for jump starting in general?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:06   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Was confused by the title of the thread. Jump starters are same for both MT and AT vehicles. After reading found the necessity for the cables But still dont we have a thread for jump starting in general?
I agree that they are the same. But if the battery is not totally dead (i.e. ECU works) then an MT can be push started while an AT cannot. Hence keeping Jumper Cables becomes almost mandatory in an AT.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 12:57   #103
BHPian

Finally bought this jump starter. Its a British company which manufactures and sources for international big names. The quality is very good. Ebay global easy buy I feel is a big sham. Tried several times through it but now they have stopped all such shipments to India I guess. I feel its more so because of our lovely rules and regulations/red tape rather than Ebay's mistake..Coming to the product...It costed me 11500/- For personal use its not necessary. I bought it as we have unique fleet requirement. This product is used by all Toyota dealerships in Bangalore with full local support. It has a 22Ah internal battery as opposed to the usual 18Ah found in other jump starters. All internal parts are replaceable. Used it to start a stone dead Innova as trial. It did so in just a few cranks. Very powerful. I visited this company ITC. They make tools for Snap -On, Bluepoint etc. They have wide range of products. The quality of some of their stuff esp snap on tools is exquisite. You will feel bad to use it
Attached Thumbnails
Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles-20140427_123454.jpg  

Last edited by car love : 27th April 2014 at 13:06.
Old 28th April 2014, 12:03   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Finally bought this jump starter. Its a British company which manufactures and sources for international big names. The quality is very good. Ebay global easy buy I feel is a big sham. Tried several times through it but now they have stopped all such shipments to India I guess. I feel its more so because of our lovely rules and regulations/red tape rather than Ebay's mistake..Coming to the product...It costed me 11500/- For personal use its not necessary. I bought it as we have unique fleet requirement. This product is used by all Toyota dealerships in Bangalore with full local support. It has a 22Ah internal battery as opposed to the usual 18Ah found in other jump starters. All internal parts are replaceable. Used it to start a stone dead Innova as trial. It did so in just a few cranks. Very powerful. I visited this company ITC. They make tools for Snap -On, Bluepoint etc. They have wide range of products. The quality of some of their stuff esp snap on tools is exquisite. You will feel bad to use it
That is nice to hear, finally we have Jump-starters made in India with warranty and parts replacement. Hopefully prices should come down if there are volumes and competition.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 11:34   #105
BHPian

Talking Re: Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles

Morning BHPians.

Check this out.Looks real handy and I feel it should be on must-have list of items in your car.

http://www.cnet.com/news/pocket-sized-jump-starters/

Cheers
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote