Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th September 2015, 10:00   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles

Reviving a slightly old thread can anyone point me to a reliable jump start cable on any of the online shopping portals. Theres a few available to amazon, snap deal and ebay but I can't figure out which one is reliable. I hope to get a 500A jumper cable
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 15:40   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I think all are Ok as far as the connectors/clamps go. In the worst case replace the cable with a 10mm cable and you are singing. Even 6mm may do, but I prefer 10mm.
sgiitk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 21:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Reviving a slightly old thread can anyone point me to a reliable jump start cable on any of the online shopping portals. Theres a few available to amazon, snap deal and ebay but I can't figure out which one is reliable. I hope to get a 500A jumper cable
Sorry just saw your post today. Several trashy cables later, I was on a similar quest and couldn't find anything of reasonable quality locally. Finally ended up ordering a Goodyear jump cable from eBay UK. Pretty solid quality.

Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles-_57.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 12:13   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

@outofthebox; Price wise you may be better off buying any trashy cable for under ₹500 and then changing the cable to 10mm/6mm!
sgiitk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 12:42   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@outofthebox; Price wise you may be better off buying any trashy cable for under ₹500 and then changing the cable to 10mm/6mm!
Sir my trashy cables also had trashy crocodile clips with the plastic fading & breaking off and very poor quality metal grips, so there was not much point in putting a better quality cable.

But you are absolutely right, if one can get hold of decent, large sized crocodile clips and proper gauge cable of reasonable quality, a lot of money can be saved the DIY way.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 14:39   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
But you are absolutely right, if one can get hold of decent, large sized crocodile clips and proper gauge cable of reasonable quality, a lot of money can be saved the DIY way.
I am sure the type of clips are available as part of welding supplies. If need be contact the nearest neighbourhood welder.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 14:44   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally ended up ordering a Goodyear jump cable from eBay UK.
I've picked up this Draper cable from Amazon UK: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075738N2/ - its 2.5 m long, and is 10 square mm thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Sir my trashy cables also had trashy crocodile clips
Between sgiitk and outofthebox, both of you have touched on both important parts of a jumper cable - one is the gauge of wire (and insulation), the other is the crocodile clips themselves.

I hate the crocodile clips we get in India, they often look like this:
Name:  jumper cable  exposed.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  15.0 KB
The reason I hate them is they have the metal portions fully exposed. For any casual user (like us), there's a risk that we might accidentally short the cable by having these clips touch one another, or an unintended part (e.g. red crocodile clip touching the car frame) while making the 4 connections. The consequences can be as mild as a blown fuse to an exploding battery.

I'd advise anyone buying jumper cables to strongly consider only those that have crocodile clips like the one shown below (e.g. the eBay UK link that outofthebox posted, or my Amazon UK link).
Name:  jumper cable  sheathed.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  23.9 KB
These are far safer, since the only copper is between the jaws of the clips, which makes it harder for accidental contact, while still allowing you to clamp onto the battery posts and ground point.

Professional users (like garages) might be experienced enough to get away with exposed clips by sheer experience, but for people like me who might be stressed out while stranded on a highway trying to jump-start a car, there's nothing called too much idiot-proofing.

Last edited by arunphilip : 29th September 2015 at 14:47.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 14:48   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

@arunphilip; I am afraid I have had a few of the second type of clamps break, but am yet to see type 1 fail.

Just remember the thumb rule. Earth is the last to be connected and the first to be removed.
sgiitk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote