Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 11th December 2009, 12:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

^^^ So by how much did the light output improve (assuming that you are comparing with new non-clear headlamp assemblies and same bulbs)?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you really want better light and assuming you are still retaining the stock bulbs, it would be a good option to go in for 110/90 bulbs. I have done this while changing the HL assembly and the overall performance is remarkable.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 15:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, that is also one option I have considered. But at least one of the headlamp needs to be changed anyway, as it has developed spider web kinds cracks on the inner side of the lens, due to a small accident. Hence, I am considering whether it might be a good change to swap the headlamps with clear lens ones, if they have better light output.

Guys, posting a pic of a headlamp below. This would be type 2 and I need to ask about type 3 (clear lens), right?
Attached Images

Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 20:33   #19
BHPian

@raccoon: This is Type II esteem similar to the one which i had and you can safely upgrade it to Type III without the Headlamp levelling assembly. Clear Lens would improve the visibility and illumination factor, no second thoughts go ahead and upgrade it.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 23:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon: Moonraker is right. I had the same headlamp assembly in my Esteem which I have upgraded to the clear ones now. I have retained the coloured indicator lamps though. IMO it is very much worth the upgrade.

I am sure you would appreciate the difference. Also, it would benefit you even more if you went in for powerful bulbs as suggested by me in my earlier.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Moonraker and rr zen. Will consider a clear lens assy. But have to take this up with the MASS who is currently denying that it is possible. Due to some issues, I have to get it done thru them...

rr zen, you mean 110/90 bulbs, right? Are you sure the reflector and holder can put up with them?

You guys upgraded to the MGP clear lens assy., or some after market stuff?

What is this headlamp levelling assy? It helps in focusing the beam, I guess? And you mean it is seperate from the headlamp assy. so that I needn't go for it?

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th December 2009 at 23:49.
Old 15th December 2009, 00:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Raccoon: Yes, I meant 110/90. Go for them and see the difference for yourself. Don't go in for the ones that emit white light though. They are not as good as the regular ones esp during rains. The HL reflector and the holder can very well put up with the heat that is generated. Make sure you get a good relay and a wiring kit (preferably Roots or some good branded ones).

The ones that I upgraded to are MGP which are made by Lumax.

The headlamp levelling device as you rightly said, helps in focusing the beam better based on the mass you are carrying in your car. This was standard fitment in the final version of the Esteem but not on the earlier ones. IMO, retrofitting it on an older car is expensive and not necessary. It is not a feature that you cannot live without.

Last edited by rr_zen : 15th December 2009 at 00:03.
Old 15th December 2009, 00:05   #23
BHPian

Mine was not an MGP but it was from Lumax. Headlamp levelling device is a new requirement on the latest cars and it allows you to adjust the headlamp when there is load in the back seat so that you get clear view in front. The reason for me to recommend the Type III without this device is that Type II esteem would not fit in this assembly and need to do some mods. If you get the headlamp assembly without the HLD then it would be a direct fit.

I had 100/90 Philips Rally H4 bulbs and the assembly was able to cope up with the heat and there was no damage done. I have done extensive night ride on highways and it did not do anything to the holder. But, i might be lucky. I would recommend for using Roots lighting relays & harness and ceramic holders which could hold the heat generated by these bulbs.
Old 15th December 2009, 01:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again, rr zen and Moonraker! I will consider upgrading to higher wattage bulbs with relays. MASS is ready to do it. Bosch relays are also good, right?

Quote:
If you get the headlamp assembly without the HLD then it would be a direct fit.
Maybe this is why my MASS is saying it can't be done without modification... maybe they mean it can't be done with the HLD? But then the question is do you positively get the clear lens type III headlamps without the leveling device from Maruti or Lumax directly??

Last edited by Raccoon : 15th December 2009 at 01:29.
Old 15th December 2009, 04:59   #25
BHPian

Yes ofcourse you would get the Type III headlights without the HLD device... you already have 2 esteems as running proofs

Bosch relays are also good but i think they should be costlier than the roots .. not sure though. I used PMP relays in my car and i was happy, i have heard more of Roots name than PMP... As i said earlier i might have been lucky to run with stock holders without melting it.