Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th December 2009, 15:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Esteem headlamp, tail lamp swap possible without mods?

Can a 2001 Esteem's headlamp (with yellow indicators) changed to that of the new Esteem's clear lens headlamp without any modifications? MASS says it can't be done without modification... and quoted a prohibitively high price for the modification. Does the clear lens headlamp in the newer Esteems give better light? If yes, what is the cost of the new clear lens headlamp assembly? MASS quoted about Rs. 1,200 for the old type headlamp assembly. I guess the new ones will be similarly priced?

Similarly, can the better looking tail lamps of the latter Esteems be swapped with those on the 2001 Esteem without any mods? Would they match?

I need to get one headlamp and tail lamp changed, as they were damaged in a minor accident, so would really appreciate some advice...

Last edited by Raccoon : 9th December 2009 at 15:42.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have already done that in my esteem, look in my garage. No mods required.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:25   #3
BHPian

yea its possible..its a pretty common mod.
wildchild4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 16:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here is a clean shot of the same.

before

AFTER

Last edited by esteem_lover : 9th December 2009 at 16:44.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:56   #5
BHPian

It really looks cool. I am having issues with my headlights not having the required power on the highways. I also own an esteem 99 model. Can you please let me know the cost for this change

Thanks and regards,
diwakarmuthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 17:03   #6
BHPian

I guess 2001 esteem didn't come with headlamp levelling device and 2005 one did. The price for new one has to be much higher with this levelling device.When I enquired the rate for my 2005 alto it was around Rs 3500. Since only the plastic part holding the assembly to body was broken I ended up plastic welding it @ Rs 150.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 18:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
MASS says it can't be done without modification... and quoted a prohibitively high price for the modification. Does the clear lens headlamp in the newer Esteems give better light? If yes, what is the cost of the new clear lens headlamp assembly?
MASS is trying to con you mate. The swap is very much possible without any modifications. I have the new headlamps on my 2003 Esteem in addition to esteem_lover and nitrous.

The cost in the open market varies from 3.5K - 4K (without the headlamp leveller assembly of course). The last time I checked, MASS rates were more than double of what I have quoted above. The best bet would be to source it from a Lumax distributor in your area.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 01:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Thanks for the responses, dudes. But I don't understand why they would want to misinform me. :( I guess 'con' is not the right word here...

Today, again I was told that the front headlamp cannot be swapped with the new clear lens assembly without modifications, which include replacing the bonnet!!!! They however did say that the rear tail lamps can be swapped without any issues, but they will not match the rest of the rear body, as the older Esteems have red glass between the two tail lamps. The new Esteem has just 2 lights in between and rest is painted with the color of the car. I kind of agree. What do you guys suggest?

Now another hitch is that they quoted approx 1,200 for the old style headlamp and you guys are quoting upwards of Rs. 3.5 k. Which means I would have to shell out Rs. 7 k just for the headlamps. :( In that case, I might not go for the change.

However, in case I do consider it, what are the old and new headlamps called? Type 1? Type 2? Type x? This info will help me to confront the MASS guys.

Lastly, is the light output from the new clear lens assemblies significantly better to justify the cost of the change?

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th December 2009 at 01:08.
Old 10th December 2009, 05:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the responses, dudes. But I don't understand why they would want to misinform me. :( I guess 'con' is not the right word here...

Today, again I was told that the front headlamp cannot be swapped with the new clear lens assembly without modifications, which include replacing the bonnet!!!! They however did say that the rear tail lamps can be swapped without any issues, but they will not match the rest of the rear body, as the older Esteems have red glass between the two tail lamps. The new Esteem has just 2 lights in between and rest is painted with the color of the car. I kind of agree. What do you guys suggest?

Now another hitch is that they quoted approx 1,200 for the old style headlamp and you guys are quoting upwards of Rs. 3.5 k. Which means I would have to shell out Rs. 7 k just for the headlamps. :( In that case, I might not go for the change.

However, in case I do consider it, what are the old and new headlamps called? Type 1? Type 2? Type x? This info will help me to confront the MASS guys.

Lastly, is the light output from the new clear lens assemblies significantly better to justify the cost of the change?
Check out my Garage i had the headlamps changed to clear lens and it costed me around 2.8K (Pair) which i got it from grey market. It would be a perfect fit in a Type II Esteem. Mine was a 2002 Limited Edition model and it was called as Type II esteem. Type I esteem is the one which replaced Maruti 1000 with the long headlamps and i dont think yours is a Type I. You need to ask for Type III Clear lens headlamps and it would perfectly fit without any modifications to your bonnet. If you can post the pics of your car we can confirm it 100% . MASS is taking you for a ride, i would recommend you do this changes outside. Very easy and simple job.

One the visibility factor you could see a double fold change from the earlier refractor type headlights to these clear lens. Moreover i was using 100/90 Philips extreme setup and with clear lens it was like day light .
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 08:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

please dont do light swaps. Only bus drivers and vans do that. Why dont you get a set of custom made lights done. Its going to get expensive but Definitiey worth it.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 09:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The non clear lens type HLs cost much lesser than the clear lens HLs. Everyone is talking about a pair here, MASS could be talking about each piece.

And Yes, the light output drastically improves, partly due to the clear lens & partly due to the 8 year old HL assembly being changed.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

No A S S will help you in any type of modifications because of the after support issues.

THe new headlights that came in maruti had a leveling device, hence the high price and need for modifications (read electrical).

The type 3 headlights available in the market are of many types.

With leveler first quality
without leveler first quality
With leveler Second quality
without leveler Second quality

Hence the price difference. When i did this mod i went for used ones in 2005 the type 3 just hit the market and there was no after market support. What i got was the type 2 headlamps with the front glass from a type 3 (you may also consider this option, cheap and best). The tail lamps are not direct fit. There is a long screw in the tail lamp assembly which needs to be broken or the body drilled. The holders are also bigger, need to change them as well.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 10:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, again I was told that the front headlamp cannot be swapped with the new clear lens assembly without modifications, which include replacing the bonnet!!!!
Do you have the 1st gen esteems (the one that replaced the 1000)? in that case some modifications are required IMO - the one E_L has donot require any mods.

Quote:
They however did say that the rear tail lamps can be swapped without any issues, but they will not match the rest of the rear body, as the older Esteems have red glass between the two tail lamps. The new Esteem has just 2 lights in between and rest is painted with the color of the car. I kind of agree. What do you guys suggest?
Get rid of the red extra brake light cluster on the bootlid / smoke them black / body color

Last edited by planet_rocker : 10th December 2009 at 10:19.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 00:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Check out my Garage i had the headlamps changed to clear lens and it costed me around 2.8K (Pair) which i got it from grey market. It would be a perfect fit in a Type II Esteem. Mine was a 2002 Limited Edition model and it was called as Type II esteem. Type I esteem is the one which replaced Maruti 1000 with the long headlamps and i dont think yours is a Type I. You need to ask for Type III Clear lens headlamps and it would perfectly fit without any modifications to your bonnet. If you can post the pics of your car we can confirm it 100% . MASS is taking you for a ride, i would recommend you do this changes outside. Very easy and simple job.

One the visibility factor you could see a double fold change from the earlier refractor type headlights to these clear lens. Moreover i was using 100/90 Philips extreme setup and with clear lens it was like day light .
I will try to post pics tommorrow, as I would need to take them when it is daylight. It is a MPFI, Euro II model... so I don't think it is the one that replaced the 1000. The one that replaced it was a carb version with lower power... am I right? So mine would be type - II, right? Anyway, will try to post pics.

I checked out your garage. The front seems identical to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
please dont do light swaps. Only bus drivers and vans do that. Why dont you get a set of custom made lights done. Its going to get expensive but Definitiey worth it.
Where do I get these custom made lights?? Whats the advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The non clear lens type HLs cost much lesser than the clear lens HLs. Everyone is talking about a pair here, MASS could be talking about each piece.

And Yes, the light output drastically improves, partly due to the clear lens & partly due to the 8 year old HL assembly being changed.
Thats right, my MASS quoted approx 1,200 per headlamp assy. And they don't have it in stock. It would have to be ordered. So if they are ordering it anyway, why would they want to make me stick to the old style assy? That is beyond me.

As for the 8 year old assy... the reflector seems to be in pretty good condition... as the car has always been kept covered and headlamp has not been used much. So I guess only the output from a new old style assy. and new clear lamp assy. should be compared, for my case. Only if the light output of the clear lens assy. is more than a new old style assy., will the swap be worth the money. Will this be so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Do you have the 1st gen esteems (the one that replaced the 1000)? in that case some modifications are required IMO - the one E_L has donot require any mods.

Get rid of the red extra brake light cluster on the bootlid / smoke them black / body color
About the Esteem type, I have already mentioned above...

How does one smoke them black/body colored? They told me I would need to replace the entire booth lid to make it look like that of the new Esteem. The new tail lamps will fit without a hitch, but won't match otherwise. If this is true, I'll have to opt out of this plan, as I don't wanna spend on the whole lid + lights + painting and all. :(

Thanks a heap for the input guys... really appreciate it.

I guess I'll try to contact a Lumax distributor to get prices. Any ideas if they will be lower than the MGP prices?

Last edited by Raccoon : 11th December 2009 at 00:40.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a set of genuine Lumax clear lens headlamp assemblies for 3,000 bucks.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote