Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th September 2013, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Raising the Marina

V12, what you mention is probably current news. What I mentioned was something that was dealt with in the past by Tata around the same time the Fiat Adventure came about, much before the Vista days. It was called the Tata Indigo Advent.

Tata unveils Indigo Advent at Geneva
March 2, 2004 | TNN
NEW DELHI: Tata Motors on Tuesday unveiled a new softroader based on the Indica platform - Indigo Advent - at the 74th Geneva Auto Show. The Indigo Advent is an extension of the compact car platform, it said. The platform has already enabled Tata to launch the Indica hatchback, the Indigo sedan and the Indigo Station Wagon in India. Advent is a contemporary crossover offering a combination of attractive features of a Sports Utility Vehicle and a Stationwagon.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ndigo/recent/2
Attached Images

discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
There was a concept that was developed similar to the Fiat Adventure with an increased GC from Tata but the project never saw the light of day. Can someone guide me into what would be the changes required on the Marina to get it there?

But why do you want to increase the GC of the Marina? Do you have bottoming out issue?

Won't increasing the GC make the car more unstable or roll like a bus?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:38   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yes, the Indigo Advent - thanks for refreshing my memory. Its good that Tata did not give this concept a try in India - because stationwagons were never a success.

Just like anurag mentioned, why would you want to increase the ride height of the Marina. The Marina already has a good ground clearance and increasing it further would badly affect the handling. Instead of increasing the GC, you could probably try out the coil spring adjusters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 20:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Oh yes, the Indigo Advent - thanks for refreshing my memory. Its good that Tata did not give this concept a try in India - because stationwagons were never a success.

Just like anurag mentioned, why would you want to increase the ride height of the Marina. The Marina already has a good ground clearance and increasing it further would badly affect the handling. Instead of increasing the GC, you could probably try out the coil spring adjusters.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)
What advantage will accrue with this mod on a Marina? Though I have not faced any scrapping issues with my Marina on any surface but still a slightly raised height would add to the looks.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 20:27   #20
BHPian

Dear V12, a4anurag,

I have been working a bit off-road and my earlier Indica has done great duty for me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-sold-5.html (Tata Indica Turbo DLG. 1,65,000 kms and Sold)

And once in a while, I do end up doing this.

The Indica with the shorter boot was a delight but I do end up with lesser luggage space. It is no more with me now and so the same needs to be done on the Marina. The longer boot entitles a much lesser approach and departure angle and hence the thought. I am looking forward to sprucing the Marina up next month and so was contemplating using her for my offroad duty as well.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 20:28   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
What advantage will accrue with this mod on a Marina? Though I have not faced any scrapping issues with my Marina on any surface but still a slightly raised height would add to the looks.
I guess he wants his ride on heels

It will compliment looks with a fatter and larger wheel + tyre combo otherwise on stock set up the wheel well gap would look out of place.

Anurag.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:10   #22
BHPian

Anurag,

That is precisely what I intended to do. Go for 15" wheels and 185 rubber. It is definitely not a funny idea. The kind of roads I have done with both my cars, only the brave (or stupid) will try on their hatchbacks.

At about 2L or less on resale value, this makes perfect opportunity for me to explore this possibility as I do not have much to lose, but everything to gain. I am leaving out serious off-roading though.
Old 7th September 2013, 23:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is precisely what I intended to do. Go for 15" wheels and 185 rubber. It is definitely not a funny idea. The kind of roads I have done with both my cars, only the brave (or stupid) will try on their hatchbacks.
No offence buddy and I am not mocking at your idea of increasing the ride height.

Just a thought can't you add in spacers to the suspension for increasing the height + [larger rims + tyres]?

Anurag
Old 8th September 2013, 08:52   #24
BHPian

Anurag,

I know you didn't mock me. What you said was in jest. So no offense taken.

I would like to understand if just adding spacers to the suspension and a change in wheels would do. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of?
Old 8th September 2013, 11:15   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this thread can be of some help :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ce-190-mm.html
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 12:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to understand if just adding spacers to the suspension and a change in wheels would do. Is there anything else that needs to be taken care of?
If you have the time the why don;t you try adding spacers and feel how the car rides.

It would give you the need height but the body roll would not be in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Maybe this thread can be of some help
You just came at the right time with the right thread.

Wish that thread was updated, it would have helped the thread starter here and the rest who think of such modifications.

Anurag.
Old 8th September 2013, 16:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wish that thread was updated, it would have helped the thread starter here and the rest who think of such modifications.
True, Anurag. It would have made a difference. Thanks for the link anyway, V12. I do not want to try something drastic unless I get some sound advise. The Advent shows that it is possible. I just do not know the complete mechanics of that.
Old 8th September 2013, 21:43   #28
BHPian

This idea is in the making.
It is likely to be called AUV - aspirational utility vehicle
groom is offline   Reply With Quote