Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th August 2005, 23:06   #1
BHPian

Default Raising a Tata Marina's Ground Clearance

Hi,

Need your help to figure out ..how can the marina body be raised to provide for 190 road clearance and 15" tyres...

Who can do it in Hyderabad and what cost?

Is it safe..can someone do a good job?

I want it to match Adventure sports in terms of profile?

Any suggestions?
vivek.singh.73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 23:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

u will have to insert spacers beteewn shock absorbers(suspension) mountings to raise the GC.but it will affect the handling and balance of the vehicle.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 18th August 2005 at 23:52.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 00:11   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

ya dude adding spacers will certainly affect ur handling..tried the same on mpfi zen to prevent the neons and strobes from hitting the tarmac..as my uncle owns an authorised service station i had a choice of adding spacers for a trial period of 3 days to see if i will the change in handling...trust its not worth it...the car feels odd to drive atleast i felt it that way...the car seemed to be floating in mid air due to the increase in height...i felt it wasnt turning as well as i hoped it would..well to sum it up it really behaved in a odd manner..thats what i felt and hence back to the original configuration and found alternative ways to fix the strobes and neons inspite of getting rid of the spacers so that it wud not break easily..this is my experience...hope you learn something from it..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 09:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
Hi,

Need your help to figure out ..how can the marina body be raised to provide for 190 road clearance and 15" tyres...
There are three possible solutions: -
1) If you insert spacers you cannot keep the same roll stiffness. Meaning, that you have to use a higher spring rate or a thicker anti-roll bar in order to maintain the original handling characteristics. Otherwise the car will feel very wallowy through the corners. If you change the springs (which is the only practical thing to do at customer level) or use a helper spring inside the existing one, then your ride comfort will go for a toss.

2) If you are raising the car by only about half an inch or less (I dont know the existing ground clearance, tell us by how much you want to raise the car) then increasing the preload in the existing springs may help. For this, you need to make spacers fitting INSIDE the strut to compress the spring more. I cant give you numbers unless I see the spring.

3) Check if you can use higher profile tyres on 15" rims without contacting the wheel wells. This will give you some height.

Ananth
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 13:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
There are three possible solutions: -
1) If you insert spacers you cannot keep the same roll stiffness. Meaning, that you have to use a higher spring rate or a thicker anti-roll bar in order to maintain the original handling characteristics. Otherwise the car will feel very wallowy through the corners. If you change the springs (which is the only practical thing to do at customer level) or use a helper spring inside the existing one, then your ride comfort will go for a toss.

2) If you are raising the car by only about half an inch or less (I dont know the existing ground clearance, tell us by how much you want to raise the car) then increasing the preload in the existing springs may help. For this, you need to make spacers fitting INSIDE the strut to compress the spring more. I cant give you numbers unless I see the spring.

3) Check if you can use higher profile tyres on 15" rims without contacting the wheel wells. This will give you some height.

Ananth

I want to raise the road clearance similar to job done on adventure sports of fiat. the options that you outlined talks abt raising the height by putting spacers but doesn't address the increased roll. would adding the strut brace help...what can be done to address this requirement comprehansively.

Is there any workshop in Hyderabad that can do the job professionaly, I am also preapred to drive down to B'lore if thats required.

BHPians help
Old 20th August 2005, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
I want to raise the road clearance similar to job done on adventure sports of fiat. the options that you outlined talks abt raising the height by putting spacers but doesn't address the increased roll. would adding the strut brace help.

BHPians help
If you increase the preload, it has the effect of making the springs stiffer, which addresses the question of roll.

Strut brace will not help as it only decreases tower deflection during cornering, and does not increase roll stiffness.

I guess the most practical solution would be:

1) Get spacers made which would fit ABOVE the strut. This will increase the ride height to the level you want. This is a simple job and any machine shop will do it for you.

2) Get spacers to fit INSIDE the strut to increase the preload and stiffen the suspension. OR, use helper springs to do the same job. The latter involves going around the guj looking for suitable springs....

3) Correct the camber on the wheels (dont know if its possible at the back) to the original setting.

Do steps (1) and (3) together and check the results. If you are unhappy with the roll we would have to do (2) also.

Ananth
Old 21st August 2005, 12:39   #7
BHPian

Default Marina road clearnace - upsize to 190 mm

Hi Bhpians

I need your help to shortlist ways to raise the profile of Marina like Adventure(190mm) or Fusion(198mm).

cpl of points that I have are

1. raise the height of suspension by putting spacers

2. raise the tyre profile

3. Upsize the rim zise to 15" from 14"

My first cut view is raise the rim size to 15", use the bigger/broaded tyre as well. Though I think suspension would need to raised to however I am not clear abt - if it would require any extra tweking to control body roll coz of extra height.

Need your help to finalise the options moreover it would be great if you could pls. also suggest a good workshop in Hyderabad.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2005, 20:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I will check if a mechanic friend of mine will do it for you. That is, if you are prepared to drive down to Mysore for a few days....

Ananth
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:37   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I would be keen to get a quality job done if can be done in Mysore, I am game however I recon the cost of going to Mysore and staying there would add to my cost.

Can anyone give me the estimated cost of the following

1. cost of lift kit for Marina

2. Fog lamps + bull bar like Adventure sports

3. Side kit like Adventure sports

Is it possible to get it done within 30 K?

BHPians...your help soliciated
Old 22nd August 2005, 13:52   #10
BHPian

What is the reason due to which you want to raise the GC of your car
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
What is the reason due to which you want to raise the GC of your car
For off-roading and avoiding serious pot holes
Old 22nd August 2005, 23:36   #12
BHPian

BHPians..pls help, I am expecting the suspension experts to help me in this job as I have no expereince in this kind of work
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dear Vivek,

Can you update us about the mods that you finally made to your Marina and your experience with them?
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 11:40   #14
BHPian

Default Raising the Marina

There was a concept that was developed similar to the Fiat Adventure with an increased GC from Tata but the project never saw the light of day. Can someone guide me into what would be the changes required on the Marina to get it there?
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 17:21   #15
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Raising the Marina

I dont think Tata came up with any "Adventure" version of the Marina. The concept they had showcased with higher GC and beefed up wheelarches etc was based on the Indica.
Attached Images

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote