Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th December 2009, 19:55   #1
BHPian

Question Mitsubishi Lancer : Help Needed EDIT: Paint job complete

Hey all,
Have been a member on this forum for a year now, haven't posted much but online everyday, basically collecting some gyaan from all you people here. Getting to the point, im on the lookout for a lancer ('99-2002) here in Mumbai, missed out on one clean car which was going for 1Lakh with 63K kms on the ODO genuine, anyway i am looking at getting one in the similar price range as i want to spruce it up to my taste and liking.

Have the following questions.

1) What should be the ideal price to coat for a 2000 model lancer?

2) What will be the approximate cost to overhaul the Lancers Engine.(i.e. If i end up buying a Lemon! ?)

3) What brand of Tyres in 14" or 15" inch do you suggest? With upsize options will be helpfull. (Budget-18k for 5 tyres)

4) What ICE setup could i get with a budget of arnd 20k-25k max ? (Should include- HU, Tweeters, Front Door Speakers, 6X9 Coaxials, Amp and Sub)
Please Mention Model Numbers With Approximate costs.

5) Where can i get the angel eye headlamps with the Euro Tail lamps in Mumbai? And at What Cost?

6) Need help of photoshop experts on the forum to install a Ford Fiesta 1.6S spoiler on the Lancer? SRK?

7) Good, Reasonable and Reliable painter or paint shop in Mumbai. Want to get an overcoat done? Any Pointers?

8) Want to get the seats and interiors Refurbished. No seat covers but a complete Art leather job (fixed type). Any good and reasonable Upholster in Mumbai?
Had been to orchis in Powai Who quoted arnd 24K for interior painting and seats, job is simply superb but not what im looking for in terms of economy.

9)Where can i get skirts for the lancer on the lines of the lancer SFXI. I want something simple, no vents, nets etc. Again cost will be the deciding factor.

Guys, I know those are a lot of questions but i seriously need your help.

Thanks in Advance

Ripper.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 20:10   #2
BHPian

Hey rippper, Well i am no expert but just read your complete post & the only thing i dint like is the below point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
6) Need help of photoshop experts on the forum to install a Ford Fiesta 1.6S spoiler on the Lancer? SRK?
It really wont look good on a lancer Best of luck.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 22:06   #3
BHPian

@neil: Do you think so? I thought it would look good. Thanks for your suggestion though, will consider that once i see it.

Now im curious could someone please do a quick chop job for me?
Old 18th December 2009, 23:50   #4
BHPian

42 views and only 1 reply. Guys i need help!
Old 19th December 2009, 00:21   #5
BHPian

Hey Ripper, here's a very quick chop-job of putting the Fiesta's rear spoiler on a Lancer. Couldn't find a good res pic of the fiesta spoiler so the image's not very good. Also the base car is a modified lancer by Delhi's Autopsyche, and has got a great body kit, so it may look a bit different on a stock lancer.
Though, IMO the Fiesta spoiler may be a bit narrow for the Lancer as it's a broader car.

Added another rendition of how the spoiler may look from the back, this one's on the Lancer LE though.

P.S. I hope it's ok with arush that i chopped that pic of his cool handywork
Attached Images

Last edited by jerry can : 19th December 2009 at 00:37.
jerry can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 00:31   #6
BHPian

yo ripper,
on the paint job front, if the original paint is good (ie no cheap touch up job), then just polish it, if not satisfied, rub it down with 3M soft compound and then just paint a coat of clear. Then polish it. should do.
VANOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 09:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A 99-2002 Lancer would be easily run over a lac KMs(and trust me this would be the right Kms for those models). Getting a car cheap doesn't me it would be beaten up. Ok enough gyan here is my take on it. I am assuming you are looking for a petrol one.

99 Model-75K-1.2OLacs
2000Model 100K to 1.5Lac
01Model 1.2Lac to 1.7Lac
02Model1.3 Lac to 2Lac

These cars would definitly need a lot of mechanical attention so go for a car which has clean body lines, though any car can be tinkered and repainted to perfection.

A complete paint job in my case cost me 30K, it will be lot lesser if the body lines are clean.

About ICE, it depends upon what you want. My ICE has sony HU, 2 Sony 6x9, Stock kenwood in the front, and 2 JBL subs in the trunk powered by a silicon 4 chennel amp powering the subs, The truth is iam very satisfied with the output, i feel the only weaker link as of now is the stock kenwood speaker.

Body kit as per me is a complete waste of money. I had body kits on my esteem and trust me they will keepon breaking ever second day. The worst part was my complete running board was coroded due to the skirts, IMO lancer looks great without a body kit, with some nice alloys and reasonably wide tyres. If kit is a must buy an SFXI.

About alloys and tyres 18K is very less as far as the budget goes. The lancer comes with stock 13" Tyres and you might have to go for all 5 so increase you budget.

As far as the engine goes lancers have good engines and can be good for at least 200K Kms. Mine is 1.3Lac kms done still brings a smile on my face when i floor her. A complete rebuild should not cost you more than 40K.

Dont get those angel eye headlights. They are horrible interms of light throw. The tail lamps might look good.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 09:31   #8
BHPian

@jerry can: Thanks a ton bro. Now i get an idea of what it would look like. Do u have any suggestions on the spoiler? Im looking at something that is OEM on some other car as i hate the fiber finish on the modded cars ive seen till date. No im not referring to Autopsyche, RIO, car modernize etc, but the other small time mod shops in mumbai. Thanks once again.

@Vanos: The problem is that i have still not got a car, once i do ill decide whats best..And yes company finish is the best. Will try out a place who does 3M jobs on cars. Thanks for the input.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:46   #9
BHPian

@pramod: Just what i was waiting for. Thanks for clearing a lot of my doubts.

1) The prices you've mentioned are somewhat similar to those prevailing in the markets here. Thanks i now know what to get and for how much.

2) Mechanical Attention: Could you please elaborate. Apart from the paint and body work what could be the problem areas i should check for? And 30K sounds good to me.

3) The ICE section get too tempting, hence didn't get in there as it would rip into my budget...LOL. Guess ill have to visit anyways with my requirements

4) No i aint looking at custom bumpers, i just want a decent set of skirtings, The SFXI should do good.

5) Its 18K just for 5 tyres (14" or 15"). Do you think its too less for it?

6) Ok so lancer engines if maintained well should do well for arnd 200K. Thats good!

7) Ive heard this about the angel eyes on this forum.Wanted to know if it would be the same with HID's?. Will go in for the tail lamps.

Thanks Once again!
Old 19th December 2009, 10:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

In stead of a kit source SFXi ones. Those are the best. Or get the EVO ones, those are second best.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 10:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) Mechanical Attention: Could you please elaborate. Apart from the paint and body work what could be the problem areas i should check for? And 30K sounds good to me.
The greatest thing in Lancers is the suspension, i am sure a lancer at the age you are looking at will have suspension issues, Its very expensive to go the A S S way. one lowering arm costs 7K now, and i am not kidding the prices are up again.

Apart from that engine mounts are the second biggest thing in lancers which needs a replacement, Check for the clutch and check if the gears are slotting well.
Expect rattles in the car. Can be taken care of. Lancers are not known to have electrical issues but stay away from the ones which has a lot of wiring and cut outs for unnecessary stuff.

Quote:

3) The ICE section get too tempting, hence didn't get in there as it would rip into my budget...LOL. Guess ill have to visit anyways with my requirements
As i said ICE is very subjective. I have seen expensive brands installed in my friends cars which doesn't sound half as good as mine. To this they usually say you car has a boot blah blah.. But always remember good ice is not a combination of good brands, its choice of stuff along with a hell lot of tuning. Remember no one will give you great marks for nice ICE, you have an ICE in you car for your satisfaction. I am sourcing a par of Bolton speakers for my car to go as the mid bass and will get some nice tweeters. I can easily source components for the same price but this is what i like.

Quote:

4) No i aint looking at custom bumpers, i just want a decent set of skirtings, The SFXI should do good.
Most of the SFXI have lost their lip, a small pot hol is enough for the skirts to break, and trust me a car looks horrible with a broken lip. Try getting a SFXI and not buy after market skirts, Once you drill holes in the body to fix the skirts corrosion wis set in.

Quote:

5) Its 18K just for 5 tyres (14" or 15"). Do you think its too less for it?
18K is not bad if its just for the tyres, Stock lancers comes with 13" and SFXI's come with 14", that means you will have to change the alloys as well. Do not go for a lancer purly because it has all the accessories you need in it already. Chances are it will be obsenly priced and might have some problems which you might tend to ignore.

Quote:
6) Ok so lancer engines if maintained well should do well for arnd 200K. Thats good!
First thing is check for backward compression and also conduct a complete cylender compression check. The later can be done at the A S S. Remember to disconnect the fuel pump while conducting this test. The former can be done by taking the dipstick out while the engine is running and placing your palm over it to see if its blowing air. If it is then the engine needs attention.

Quote:
7) Ive heard this about the angel eyes on this forum.Wanted to know if it would be the same with HID's?. Will go in for the tail lamps.
Once again useless even with HIDs, They have horrible throw and they are priced 15k a pair. Tail lamps can be sourced, There are many nice designs available.

Pramod
Old 19th December 2009, 20:28   #12
BHPian

@pramod: Thanks a Ton bro. Youve really helped me a lot. Just got a quote for Yokohama ES-100 185/R14 at 3200/- per piece. Fits the bill, nut im more inclined to Michelin XM1+ at 3600/- a piece. Do you think these prices are reasonable?
Old 19th December 2009, 21:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@pramod: Thanks a Ton bro. Youve really helped me a lot. Just got a quote for Yokohama ES-100 185/R14 at 3200/- per piece. Fits the bill, nut im more inclined to Michelin XM1+ at 3600/- a piece. Do you think these prices are reasonable?

Es 100 is the best tyre money can buy. I was thinking of going for maxis 205 55 R 15 But i think i will too stick with 14" now.

Pramod
Old 21st December 2009, 14:15   #14
BHPian

@pramod: I heard from a friend that Maxxis are pathetic tyres when it comes to heavy braking and cornering, do check before going ahead.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:45   #15
BHPian

Update:
Got a 2001 Lancer GLXI for 1.1L. Wanted to change the colour to White, any good paint shop (read reasonable) in mumbai, preferably in the suburbs? Please let me know. Its a little urgent. Thanks!