Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th December 2009, 11:07   #1
BANNED

Default Pics: Fabricating a 3rd Row Bench for the Safari

While getting back to topic of my seat:

The third row full seat design for our Safari has already started, Basic designing,frame work and hinge is ready.

Testing it on the car today, later if things go well, maybe before christmas the third row full seat will be installed in our Beast.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th December 2009 at 03:34. Reason: A new thread for this project has been started. You can link to it once in the Safari pics thread so readers are aware of it.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 11:20   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

The third row full seat design for our Safari has already started, Basic designing,frame work and hinge is ready.

Testing it on the car today, later if things go well, maybe before christmas the third row full seat will be installed in our Beast.
Now thats something i was waiting to hear from you pavan, its been while since you said over working on this part, it would be glad to see if third row works well, many want to get that done as well.Good Luck and do share pictures of what you have done, well or not.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 11:45   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Now thats something i was waiting to hear from you pavan, its been while since you said over working on this part, it would be glad to see if third row works well, many want to get that done as well.Good Luck and do share pictures of what you have done, well or not.

Hukuum mere aaka..

Just finished initial placing and final execution by end of day.
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2009, 12:42   #4
BANNED

hmm seems could work pretty good man, what about the space available within second and third row after fitting that bench, surely would be good keeping the overall length of this car.Many questions with me but would let you get on with your project and after final work and result, would come out with same.Good going pavan,inspiring many for this project for sure.
Old 20th December 2009, 15:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Pavan:

From the pictures it looks like a fixed seat. I wonder if it would have been easier/better to try to shoe horn a third row seat from the Innova/Scorpio (front facing) into the space since these have build in mechanism to fold out of the way, either forward or to the sides.

But either way this is a modification that will make the Safari a true 7 seater.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 15:41   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Pavan:

From the pictures it looks like a fixed seat. I wonder if it would have been easier/better to try to shoe horn a third row seat from the Innova/Scorpio (front facing) into the space since these have build in mechanism to fold out of the way, either forward or to the sides.

But either way this is a modification that will make the Safari a true 7 seater.
but innova/scorpio seats would be of different size and length which wont fit safari's width available.Still if can would be a boon with flexibility to fold last row as well.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:19   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Pavan kadam, what you have worked out seems to be a fixed seat, a Sumo grande, scorpio, xylo or Innova last row seat transplant would be a better bet. Since they fold aswell. The fixed seat would eat into the option of luggage space.

Also how about back facing seats? leaving the entry to the rear door. It may be easier to enter / exit that way. Actually the reat seats are not problematic due to the fact that they are not front facing but due to the height - wonder who you would take care of it.

Anyways must appreciate the effort that you are taking in the customization.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 09:14   #8
BANNED

This is not a fixed seat to say.

I've designed it in such a way that, it folds up and levels itself along the mid row seat, still giving loads of baggage area.

Two bolt out, the whole fixture is out of the car.This was the only reason why this modification took looong time, most of the time spent on designing and testing different structures over a period of 6 months. And finally this month i okeyed on this design.

Tomorrow the seats will reach the upholsterer for cushioning and seat covers.
Old 24th December 2009, 09:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This is not a fixed seat to say.

I've designed it in such a way that, it folds up and levels itself along the mid row seat, still giving loads of baggage area.

Two bolt out, the whole fixture is out of the car.This was the only reason why this modification took looong time, most of the time spent on designing and testing different structures over a period of 6 months. And finally this month i okeyed on this design.

Tomorrow the seats will reach the upholsterer for cushioning and seat covers.
Brilliant. Appreciate the effort put! Would suggest mass production if people here at TBHP feels its useful.

Awaiting more pix and cost involved.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:21   #10
BHPian

That was a great effort Pavan. Waiting for the pix of the final product. And do post the details of the cost and the workshop where you got this done.
Holyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 12:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pavan, is the leg room adequate in the last row for long drives ?
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 15:49   #12
BHPian

Pavan: Any update. How is your progress with 3rd row bench seat. Like to the pics of the final product.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 16:00   #13
BHPian

Great effort Pavan, Safari lovers need to keep an eye on this thread. Please post the final pics.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 16:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant stuff there pawan. However I would say the side seats offers more space in when it comes to loading luggage. I have checked a front facing install done at Koya's in Coimbatore and found that the front facing seats took up quite a bit of space in-spite of being folded. This was done on a friends Dicor from mercara.

However kudo's to your efforts and nice to see some engineering from a banker .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 21:22   #15
BHPian

hi pavan

i just purchased this beast last week. i am pretty satisfied with it except the missing third row seating. just found out about your project. its been over a month and no updates.

how is the progress? its great efforts that you have put in bro. hope you come up successful and if you are indeed i will surely be the first few to ask help on getting one.

by the way, how about a transplant of seats from the scorpio, innova, or fortuner? have you or anyone tried it? is it possible withe some modificatons?

hoping to hear from you soon.
arijit.co.in is offline   Reply With Quote