Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 31st August 2005, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Question k&n for palio.

hi to all..

want to fit k&n universal filter to my Palio 1.2 nv. I want to know:
1-- what size or model do I go for?
2-- will I be able to use the same filter for other cars that I will buy in the future?
3-- will it be fine if I use it on the existing tubing or is there sone better advice?

passionpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 13:05   #2
BHPian

I did some research on this and found out, k & N filter is not required for Palio 1.2.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 13:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
I did some research on this and found out, k & N filter is not required for Palio 1.2.

you mean not required or not available for ?
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 17:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan

Research huh? What "research" did you do to find out it was "not required"? Did you gas flow the entire intake system with stock system and with k&n, and conclude that k&n reduces flow? Or do you just "think" that the k&n is not required?

I don't mean to be harsh, but lets be more objective and technical here...we need facts, not opinions...especially conjecture.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 19:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

passionpurple, pm Anoop to know the cost. He has K&N on his 1.2 Palio.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2005, 20:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionpurple
hi to all..

want to fit k&n universal filter to my Palio 1.2 nv. I want to know:
1-- what size or model do I go for?
2-- will I be able to use the same filter for other cars that I will buy in the future?
3-- will it be fine if I use it on the existing tubing or is there sone better advice?

universal is one of k&n's best audible filters u get... the suction roar is just awsome as it is an allside open filter(all round suction)....
2.u wont be able to fit it for all the cras... its made/designed for a particular model..
3. The existing tubing will do.

redrage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 00:19   #7
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Kand N filter for Palio

PR Kothan is probably right when he mentions that the 1.2 engine does not benefit from the use of K and N filter as far as engine power is concerned because to save inventory costs the size of filter used in the 1.6 and the 1.2 is the same. Since the 1.6 sucks in more air and if this filter size is adequate for the 1.6 and helps it deliver 100bhp then it would be by logic be more than suffecient for the 1.2. If you go to the K and N site and look in the products compatibilty for the Palio you will end up with the flat normal looking filter assembly. Do remember that the Palio already has a cold air intake system.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2793

I am sure you would agree K and N would know what filter unit to use in our cars and if they are recommending a stock type air filter then it would be pointless going in for the high performance unit especially for the 1.2 where it could be just overkill. It might be a different story if we could find a good match for the 1.6 engine as its intake might be restricted with the stock filter assemby but who knows there could be trade offs in driveability. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran
I am sure you would agree K and N would know what filter unit to use in our cars and if they are recommending a stock type air filter then it would be pointless going in for the high performance unit especially for the 1.2 where it could be just overkill. It might be a different story if we could find a good match for the 1.6 engine as its intake might be restricted with the stock filter assemby but who knows there could be trade offs in driveability. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Probably so. But remember that the K&N, due to its unique filter element may in fact flow more air than the equivalent sized stock filter element. Also notice that the same part no. is also recommended for the Fiat 1.6 engine.
Old 5th September 2005, 11:44   #9
BHPian

hey drpullockaran, the palio has a cold air intake system??? like most other cars it sucks in air into the stock airbox from the wheel arch.....where is the cold air intake???
anoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 11:48   #10
BHPian

i have a universal K&N filter in my 1.2.....its great at speeds above 50kmph...at stop go city traffic its not all that effective....but at really high speeds it does make a diff. i also have a pipe that directs cold air from outside to hit my filter. one end is behind my grill and the other end faces the filter.
Old 5th September 2005, 17:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops
i also have a pipe that directs cold air from outside to hit my filter. one end is behind my grill and the other end faces the filter.
Is that an Fipk filter you are using?
Old 5th September 2005, 22:36   #12
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Anoops you have answered your question in the second suceeding post

You have hit the nail on the head. You have a cold air intake if you get the air from outside the engine compartment and in the Palio's case its from the wheel arch which has suffeciently cold air compared to the under bonnet temp.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 5th September 2005 at 22:38.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 10:15   #13
BHPian

i would'nt call that "cold air"....the air is pretty damn hot at the wheel arch and the air pressure is pretty low.....the ideal place for a "cold air intake" is in front just below the grill. that is clean, direct air with the highest preassure.
Old 6th September 2005, 21:22   #14
BHPian

Dosent keeping the intake hose so low hit it if you over run a speed breaker or smething?
Old 9th September 2005, 18:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops
that is clean, direct air with the highest preassure.
I beg to differ. You wouldn't want any pressure in the intake air. Its an inTAKE not an inLET. Meaning, you are trying to stuff air where its not wanted, and that's bound to mess up the jetting as speeds rise.

Ananth