Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th January 2010, 20:22   #1

Default My '71 Ambassador Mark II

Hi everybody,
My name is Sanjog.Yesterday I received my approval for membership on Team-bhp and I wrote my first post under introduce yourself catagory.
From now on I will post my story of 1971 Mark2 Amby modification under the title Dream comes true. So, let me start with my love for Ambassador car.You see, whenever I see or drive Amby my heart fills with great pleasure.After coming to know Team-bhp I am glad that there are many of my friends who share the same feeling.So,as all of you Amby fans I also undertook the project of modifying my uncle's old amby into the new fully loaded present day Amby.
I must say I was also inspired by Mr. Rudra Sen's story.It was a very difficult task as I went to every mechanic in my city including the one who is also my good friend and who always takes care of my car.But,they all said why don't you buy a 2004 or 2005 second hand Amby instead.As with all of us the joy of modifying your own Amby is something which no logic can explain.Then this guy at the service station where I often take my car to wash called me and told me about this mechanic Mr. Govindram who lives in a city called Sri Ganganagar 250 Kms away. He said he can do your job as you want. So ,I called Mr.Govindram who is the chief mechanic at Shiva Motors Ganganagar HM's only remaining dealers in Rajasthan after Jaipur. He often comes to Bikaner to fix Ambassador cars of various government departments.I showed him the car and he agreed after a long discussion.He initially gave me approximate budget of Rs.1.5 lakh and time of 2 months for the whole job to complete which went a bit further by the time we finished.The job was to take out old 1.5 petrol engine and gearbox replace them with 1.8 Isuzu petrol engine and gearbox,change the old suspension system with new one,put power steering ,put new model doors,convert the complete interior into Amby Grand's beige interior and then,fulfilling my dream of putting double AC with heating system this is one system which even new Ambassadors don't have.The double AC part was most difficult.
Finally in June I took my car to Shiva Motors and work started.It took 6 months instead of 2 which Govindram initially spoke about.I am posting pictures of my car which I took on June before modification.In coming days I will post pictures of the car after modification and also share the whole experience.
Attached Thumbnails
My '71 Ambassador Mark II-india09-031-large.jpg  

Attached Images

sanjog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 20:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice looking car;reminds me of our old 1971 Amby,which my Dad sold off after he lost strength in his legs.

I am sure your effort has paid off;eagerly waiting for the pics
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 00:14   #3
BHPian

Nice going my dear friend, Do update the thread soon!
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 00:12   #4
BHPian

Well would love to know how it turned out . waiting eagerly !
aamir_subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi sanjog, Am not questioning the effort u've put into this, but the amby Mk2 is becoming a collectible in its own right, and i think modding it was a bad idea, instead u could have bought a mk4 cheap, and done that up. Anyways, pls upload the completed pix.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 01:36   #6
BHPian

Great effort man.
Ambys are now becoming status symbols. And when modded to give better appearance, your status doubles. Congrats man.

My friend who has an amby, modded it like anything and it costed him around 3lac. (nothing on engine part only exterior and interior). He did it due to the attached sentimental values with the car. Man i should say just seeing the car, it fells something like a Golden chariot. (doesn't mean its in golden colour :-) )

Waiting for see your Amby with new looks.

Last edited by xenxer : 13th January 2010 at 01:48.
xenxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 22:45   #7

Hi Everybody,
I am still working on the seat covers and dashboard fabrication.That is the cause of delay in posting new look pictures.
sanjog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 14:59   #8

Hi Everybody,
Sorry for delay in further posts as some problems have comeup in the car which I am sorting out.
Old 1st May 2010, 15:14   #9

Hi Everybody,
Sorry again for the delay in further post as, I am busy with other things in life and also
I want the interior of car to look more attractive than the usual Amby.So it will take some time.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:01   #10
BHPian

This thread reminds me of the two Amby's my father owned when I was a child, one was maroon, one was navy blue. Sanjog, your's looks very well maintained. Well done
Saarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 17:06   #11
BHPian

Really want to see how this car turned out after the restoration, and the double AC part. Be quick Sanjog, can't wait any longer.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 19:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Waiting eagerly for the present day pics. sanjog.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:21   #13
BHPian

Post the pictures as soon as possible of your Modified Car.
dmaheshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 10:26   #14
BHPian

Default Painting

Which Type of Paint you are using - Dupont or other than that(Latest Technology)
dmaheshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 00:35   #15

Hi Everybody,
I am sorry I was away for so long as I was busy with family matters.So, finally I am posting after modification pictures which I am sure you will like. First three pictures are of the outer side and the paint used is Dupont. But if there is one thing I am not satisfied with in this whole modification job it is the paint job. Then comes my interiors which I am really proud of and my deepest thanks to Mr.Tulsiram Khatri and his son Mr.Satish Khatri from the firm Bombay Posis Works Bikaner, who made the upholstery look so nice that whenever I park my car somewhere people often come and ask is this how the new Ambassador looks like and I say no It does not look half as close. I must say something about Mr.Satish who I think is a genius in designing and making seat covers.I have worked very hard so that the two tone beige effect is seen everywhere. And please notice the rear AC ducts with LCD monitor located over them. The last picture shows secondary cooling coil inside black enclosure which people often think of as speaker. These pictures taken do not give you the complete look only glimpses . I am just sending them because there has already been so much delay. So, I will send the detailed pictures later.
Attached Images

sanjog is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote