Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st June 2010, 00:33   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
here is the picture of his wheels. This pic was before getting his spoilers done.
can anyone specify tire size of this car is it 215/50 R16?
cosmopolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 01:27   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
hey guys,
i have a Plati(Lenso samurai look alike) 15 incher.I wanted to get the 17 or atleast 16 but dint want to compromise on ride quality.My area has real bad roads.So i have gone for these 100 pcd alloys.The only problem it had was the Hub dia.diff.So i got hub centric rings.it was quoted about 1.2k.I ended doing it for 120 bucks(afterall am a budding Mechanical Engg.).Btw have done 160 kmph.no issues whatsoever.No wobbles.I have done all this after selling the OE Punto alloys i had used for 5 months now.also PCD was my research topic for 6 months(even when i had a SIENA).Check the pics.
Could you please elaborate a bit on hub centric rings? A couple of pics of the ones you got made for your car for reference would also be nice.
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:01   #63
BHPian

@CPH, so is LINEA any better or even it has the same Structural weakness as a PUNTO ?.....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:17   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The Grande was designed together with GM. Vauxhall/opel Corsa is the same car. Hence the PCD of 100 etc. This happened before the Italians divorced GM.

The rear springs sit about 50% on a lousy bracket, which is alright when Miss Daisy is driving.
Ohk. Didn't know about the GP and Opel Corsa connection!
Any solution for the weak spring perch? Bracing?

Regarding wheel PCD, i still think the GP/Linea is on 98 PCD. Iirc a member here has installed Linea OE alloy wheels on his Palio, which is a 98 PCD car, it was a straight fit as per him.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:29   #65
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
@CPH, so is LINEA any better or even it has the same Structural weakness as a PUNTO ?.....
I can't comment on the Linea because we haven't got it in the UK and none of the dealers would have any info on it. There might be differences. The easiest is to look under both cars and see whether there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Ohk. Didn't know about the GP and Opel Corsa connection!
Any solution for the weak spring perch? Bracing?

Regarding wheel PCD, i still think the GP/Linea is on 98 PCD. Iirc a member here has installed Linea OE alloy wheels on his Palio, which is a 98 PCD car, it was a straight fit as per him.
Strengthening of the bracket certainly would solve the problem.

It might well be that the PCD in India is 98mm because of the situation Tata/Fiat as supposed to GM/Fiat. In Europe it is 100mm, which has limited the variety of rims for us.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
It might well be that the PCD in India is 98mm because of the situation Tata/Fiat as supposed to GM/Fiat. In Europe it is 100mm, which has limited the variety of rims for us.
It's the other way around here! Since Fiats have 98 pcd, it has limited the options of rims for Fiat cars! 100 pcd is so common.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It's the other way around here! Since Fiats have 98 pcd, it has limited the options of rims for Fiat cars! 100 pcd is so common.

100 PCD can be converted to 98, most of the guys do, not sure of the safety though.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:27   #68
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
100 PCD can be converted to 98, most of the guys do, not sure of the safety though.

Pramod
Wobblybolts are save and proper spacers are safe.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:46   #69
BHPian

Smile

Hey I saw one of the question posted above not answered.

Just wanted to get that clarified?

Does adding a tuning box have a drastic impact on FE? I hope not
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:31   #70
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
Hey I saw one of the question posted above not answered.

Just wanted to get that clarified?

Does adding a tuning box have a drastic impact on FE? I hope not
Never can be sure. The only way to make sure is a re-map on the chassis dyno.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:44   #71
BHPian

@CPH : Thanks for the answe....Stil ve some doubts on that. Plz correct me if i'm wrong.....

When u say re-map, u are talking abt adjusting the ECU settings, correct?
While getting a tuning box installed, do they generally do a re-map??

And while browsing thru Pete's official site, came across the following being mentioned about the tuning box

"Pete's Tuning Box is a clever piece of technology that increases the performance of your diesel engine. Installing the unit not only gives you more MPG and better torque, but also dramatically increases BHP giving you more pulling power than ever before! With over 700 variations of Pete's Tuning Box, we can cater for most makes and model of diesel engine, with installation taking no more than 20 minutes."

This talks about an increased MPG?
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 03:10   #72
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
@CPH : Thanks for the answe....Stil ve some doubts on that. Plz correct me if i'm wrong.....

When u say re-map, u are talking abt adjusting the ECU settings, correct?
While getting a tuning box installed, do they generally do a re-map??

And while browsing thru Pete's official site, came across the following being mentioned about the tuning box

"Pete's Tuning Box is a clever piece of technology that increases the performance of your diesel engine. Installing the unit not only gives you more MPG and better torque, but also dramatically increases BHP giving you more pulling power than ever before! With over 700 variations of Pete's Tuning Box, we can cater for most makes and model of diesel engine, with installation taking no more than 20 minutes."

This talks about an increased MPG?
I am in the tuning industries now for over 30 years and have seen the tuning boxes coming along a long while ago. I never liked them very much as they are a compromise. If no way of re-mapping is at hand, which is with a number of applcations there won't be an argument as it is the only way to influence the fueling.

One of the problems with piggy back systems is that you can't adjust certain parameters, which should be adjusted. Fueling is not the only parameter in a turbo Diesel. In a petrol engine the tuning box can't adjust ignition timing, which is very important when it comes to turbo applications, but also has some importance on normally aspirated engines.

Having had many rolling road days organised where often six or seven identical model attended the rolling road (chassis dyno) graphs showed quite some differences despite the same software. The settings aren't that easy. There is no one solution fitting all.

One of the problems people underestimate is that bore wash in petrols only slowly wears the cylinder walls. Any tuning box 'tuner' would deny responsibility as it did work for so long.

Setting a turbo Diesel is similar critical. When overfueling the turbo dies a slow death. Usually TDs show smoking ubder hard acceleration, but how much is acceptable without measuring? On newer cars DPFs are fitted that take out the smoke. This smoke you won't see, but it will pass the turbo before it hits the DPF.
You will never get the best result with the tuning box, which either menas the engine is not getting the power or is being over fueled. Neither is optimal and the overfueld extreme will be at one very costly.

I prefer the professional route, which is re-mapping. Re-mapping equipment is a rather costly direction. To do most of the cars the investment is $ 1,50,000 and the rolling road set-up is at least another $ 40,000. I would rather not invest that much and spend quite some time on the dyno to get things right. The tuning box doesn't require such investment. Why would we invest such amount of money when the tuning box is the better alternative?
Old 27th September 2010, 15:51   #73
BHPian

My punto:

Alloys: Samauri SC 01
Tyres: Yokohoma S Dive
Seat covers from G sport
Racing Stripes with pin stripes
swaroopanand_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:07   #74
BHPian

My Modified Punto:

Alloys: Samauri SC 01
Tyres: Yokohoma S drive
Seat cover: G sport
Racing Stripes + Pin Stripes
Led lighting for the grill
HID KIT for Head Lights and fog lights
Attached Images

Last edited by Amartya : 10th October 2010 at 03:03. Reason: The attachments had gone haywire, corrected them.
swaroopanand_86 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 17:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Holycow Swaroop, what have you done to your Punto bro. If Looks could kill, she will soon be the Sole Culprit on Bangalore Roads for many deaths!!

Only one word to describe that man..SWEET.

Which part of Bangalore you from Swaroop? Wouldn't mind being one of the first Victims to your Italian Beauty if you could Oblige.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote