Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 11th September 2005, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Smile help on moddin the zen..

hi guys....
am new on this....heard you guys are awesome when it comes to cars...anyways... need help on my 98`zen..carb..want to know how i can improve the stability cause its really unstable at high speeds.... nd also ridin quality....also thinkin of goin for a lpg coversion kit......but its gonna affect the pick up i guess...so will a k&n filter nd free flow exhaust help??.........do i need to go in for a conical filter or will just a stock replacement filter do the trick?.......also does free flow exhaust increase the milage or decrease it.....guys...please help......
angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 14:58   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well to increase stability u can add strut braces..if u need to move from point A to B without having to revv ur way thru then u can go for the LPG conversion..but trust me its not worth saving the extra buck buy compromising on ur ride..yup a K&N(conical one) with a freeflow will do wonders for ur car..provided the conical filter is fitted properly so that hot air from the engine isnt sucked into the filter..as ur zen is 98 model,if ur willing to spend u can plonk in an esteem or a baleno engine for that extra zip down the tarmac..and no theoretically a freeflow doesnt reduce FE,it all depends on how u drive..to hear the growl one always tends to revv harder than usual and hence the FE drops..drive normally and ul find ur FE to increase..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 15:09   #3
BHPian

thanks for the advice mclaren...but wont free flow exhuast have any improvement on the pick up if i run it on gas......also i have cold start prob in my zen too....its got no pick up at all utill the engine heats up a bit atleast....i have carb esteem too...but dnt have such prob in it prob in it....
angelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2005, 03:07   #4
BHPian

hey...mclaren has done all the talking for me...hehe...well very rightly said...the K&N filter need's to be installed correctly...also the theorotically the free flow is not suppose to reduce average infact its suppose to increase it or let it remain constant...the sudden power increase in the car due to the installation of a K&N filter and a free flow....make the driver tend to rev harder...to get that extra growl and power...hence more fuel get's consumed..hence lower average...also about your car having a cold start...get your starter checked...and yes since its a carb engine...and the engine takes time to heat up..its a clear case of a mistuned engine...since your not in bombay...all i can think of is go to your local tuner...who is well known make sure he gives you a good tuning job and get your ignition and your starter checked...well tuned engine...and oil topped up with all the other basic service elements ...if you do need any other info or help...please feel free to pm me...cheers...happy revvin...!!
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2005, 09:58   #5
BANNED

Smile

Hey Angel,

The first thing that I would recomend is to change your tyres to at least 175/65/13 or 185/60/13 to improve handling and ride quality. Strut braces come into play next. They will eliminate the car swaying whilst high speed cornering and will over all make it tighter. As far as the Free Flow and filter goes the rest of the guys have adequately answered the point. I would however advise against the LPG conversion as it has long term side effects if not properly fitted/tuned to run on gas.(there will be many adverse opinions ). The rev limit for one goes down with LPG,
next no boot space as the cylinder will take it all up.

Please decide if its FE you want or power and acceleration so that we can advise what to do accordingly.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2005, 00:27   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well dude i have a zen ...so first go for broader tyres...alloys..a strut brace.then if u want power then the easiest wy of increasing it is by installing a k&n and a free flow....have done all of that and pretty impressed wid the outcome..
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote