Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 5th May 2010, 20:12   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

I like this thread! Just gave it 5 stars. Great going Amey!
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 22:43   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Which ECU are you planning?,
why switch to the standalone after the turbo install is done? A little counterproductive, don't you think?
May I,
We had a long discussion on that, The procedure what we had planned is, since he is rebuilding the engine.
1) After rebuild run in engine on stock ecu & injectors.
2) Once satisfied with engine running in, switch to standalone.
3) Setup standalone with stock injectors & do a bit more running in.
4) Once comfortable with standalone & the Maps created, upgrade the injectors. (remember i am still running N.A)
5) Setup part throttle fueling with high flow injectors.
6) install turbo, plumbing etc.
7) Tune for boost.

That's what we have been planning, unless Amey has something else in his mind.

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 5th May 2010 at 22:52.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 00:26   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
May I,
We had a long discussion on that, The procedure what we had planned is, since he is rebuilding the engine.
1) After rebuild run in engine on stock ecu & injectors.
2) Once satisfied with engine running in, switch to standalone.
3) Setup standalone with stock injectors & do a bit more running in.
4) Once comfortable with standalone & the Maps created, upgrade the injectors. (remember i am still running N.A)
5) Setup part throttle fueling with high flow injectors.
6) install turbo, plumbing etc.
7) Tune for boost.

That's what we have been planning, unless Amey has something else in his mind.
That more or less is the plan, not much changes there.

A few more aspects that I would like to add,

1) Remember, I am changing the entire wiring loom of the car so I first need to get the basic things running properly. So if I use a stock ECU, I dont have to worry much.You get what I am saying ?
2) This is a 10 year old car and the chassis is bound to have some sort of fatigue. We are changing bushes, lower arms etc. and need to get everything else working fine. Also the gearbox is from a petrol lancer, not cedia and hence I need to ensure its working fine and there are no issues as such.
3) Bottomline is that I first need to make the car roadworthy and reliable in stock form. Once I am dead sure that the basics are in place, I can concentrate on FI and dont need to have numerous worries about basic stuff working or not working.

Also while this reliability testing is going on, I can simultaneously work on making my Exhaust manifold and if possible the plumbing for the turbo. Once everything is ready, I can install everything in one go and head towards final tuning stage.

@ Pranav,
The work is being done in Pune in Baner area where my friend, Mr.Abhijit Lonkar owns a garage by the name 'Tune Up Plus'
He is not a 'tuner' and is a fellow enthusiast but with much more in depth hands on experience since he has been running a garage succesfully for the last 10 years or more. With experience of working on Mercedes, Toyotas,Suzukis and almost all indian brands, I can vouch for his experience.

Its a project for both of us. His practical experience, whatever little theoritical research that I do, expert tips from people like Jitu, friendly advice from a few good friends and valuable inputs from you guys is what is pushing this project ahead, slowly but steadily.
I am bound to make mistakes but thats ok, who doesn't ? Its gonna be one awesome learning experience for sure!

One more thing, Most of the parts, I am sourcing myself and not buying off shelf locally so it might get delayed thanks to super fast post service.This does slow down the pace of the project's progress.

Anyway,I would prefer enjoying the journey more than the destination

Last edited by Amey : 6th May 2010 at 00:45.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
That more or less is the plan, not much changes there.

A few more aspects that I would like to add,

1) Remember, I am changing the entire wiring loom of the car so I first need to get the basic things running properly. So if I use a stock ECU, I dont have to worry much.You get what I am saying ?
2) This is a 10 year old car and the chassis is bound to have some sort of fatigue. We are changing bushes, lower arms etc. and need to get everything else working fine. Also the gearbox is from a petrol lancer, not cedia and hence I need to ensure its working fine and there are no issues as such.
3) Bottomline is that I first need to make the car roadworthy and reliable in stock form. Once I am dead sure that the basics are in place, I can concentrate on FI and dont need to have numerous worries about basic stuff working or not working.

Also while this reliability testing is going on, I can simultaneously work on making my Exhaust manifold and if possible the plumbing for the turbo. Once everything is ready, I can install everything in one go and head towards final tuning stage.

@ Pranav,
The work is being done in Pune in Baner area where my friend, Mr.Abhijit Lonkar owns a garage by the name 'Tune Up Plus'
He is not a 'tuner' and is a fellow enthusiast but with much more in depth hands on experience since he has been running a garage succesfully for the last 10 years or more. With experience of working on Mercedes, Toyotas,Suzukis and almost all indian brands, I can vouch for his experience.

Its a project for both of us. His practical experience, whatever little theoritical research that I do, expert tips from people like Jitu, friendly advice from a few good friends and valuable inputs from you guys is what is pushing this project ahead, slowly but steadily.
I am bound to make mistakes but thats ok, who doesn't ? Its gonna be one awesome learning experience for sure!

One more thing, Most of the parts, I am sourcing myself and not buying off shelf locally so it might get delayed thanks to super fast post service.This does slow down the pace of the project's progress.

Anyway,I would prefer enjoying the journey more than the destination
You are going down the same path that I've been following for some time now. Please don't get frustrated at any point, it's easier than most people would have you believe. I must come to Pune and meet your friend, sounds like a trustworthy guy for any major performance work.

Also, please get the datalogging and diagnostics working as soon as possible. Don't know about the OBD standard of the ECU, but if it offers datalogging capabilities along with error code information, it will be incredibly useful while troubleshooting any wiring or part faults. I would even go so far as getting the standalone working directly, just because it would most probably offer better datalogging opportunities.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
You are going down the same path that I've been following for some time now. Please don't get frustrated at any point, it's easier than most people would have you believe. I must come to Pune and meet your friend, sounds like a trustworthy guy for any major performance work.

Also, please get the datalogging and diagnostics working as soon as possible. Don't know about the OBD standard of the ECU, but if it offers datalogging capabilities along with error code information, it will be incredibly useful while troubleshooting any wiring or part faults. I would even go so far as getting the standalone working directly, just because it would most probably offer better datalogging opportunities.
@ Pranav,

I am not getting frustrated. I was just telling the facts and what the exact scenario is like. When I started this project, I had decided one thing for sure that his project I am doing his project on my own, it will take time. So i had to have patience or else everything goes haywire.

You can visit Pune anytime. I would gladly take you to Tune Up Plus.Let me know when you are coming so I can keep myself free accordingly.PM me your no. so that we can stay in touch.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Oh, didn't say so. Just saying that for the future. Can you put up more pics of the car? Planning to do a wiretuck?
Old 6th May 2010, 12:00   #82
BHPian

yea sure,will take some pics and and post.wiretuck ?didnt get you.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:23   #83
Senior - BHPian

wiretuck - Google Search

Looks just so clean and also aids in keeping various components cooler.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Bravo! Bravo!, just one question, can this head be turned to a DOHC head? I was just thinking how much extra juice can one extract out of an NA engine before going F1

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:27   #85
BHPian

@ pramod,
you cannot convert this head from sohc to dohc, but you can use 4G93E head or 4G92 Mivec head on this block as they all belong to the same basic family.
By using 4G93E DOHC head on this block, you are expecting around 25 whp gains min. How much more you can juice out depends on the tuning and other small small things.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:21   #86
BHPian

A few more parts came in last night

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3656.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3658.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3663.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3665.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3667.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3669.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3671.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3673.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3674.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3675.jpg
Old 10th May 2010, 12:23   #87
BHPian

Continued..

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3676.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3677.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3679.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3682.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-img_3683.jpg
Old 10th May 2010, 12:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow, a Megasquirt. Should be fun. How much did it cost you, excluding the shipping/taxes? Please update this thread with observations of the Megasquirt when you start mapping, etc. Interested in learning them. How will you handle the ignition? OE ECU or Megasquirt? Which software will you be using to map the Megasquirt? IIRC, there are quite a few available. Do any of them support Innovate WB's serial connection directly? If you're running an analog connection to your laptop, grounding problems usually throw off the readings a bit. Watch out for that.

Also, just a small piece of advice regarding the Innovate WB . Keep a few serial>usb converters with you. They seem to fail very quickly, and I've had a couple of converters die on me while I was mapping. Nothing more frustrating than having everything ready but unable to map because a cheap piece of hardware fails. Plus, most computer stores don't stock these archaic things, so finding them is another matter.

Congrats on the parts Shaping up to be a nice serious build.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:05   #89
BANNED

Quote:
wiretuck - Google Search

Looks just so clean and also aids in keeping various components cooler.
Hi Pranav,

Very nice suggestion but wouldnot recommend it for Amey. I wanted to do the same on my city but the problem is that we do not have any good electricians/electronic guys who would confidentally extend the wires in Mumbai. You know that it is a very time consuming process and the slightest goof up during extending of wires/harnesses would be a nightmare to fault find and rectify.

Also if someone were willing to do it they would charge a arm and leg for the same(again referring to Mumbai, Bangy has a lot of tech experts so possible there)

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to do that myself when I get time; will document it for the OHC. Based on my assumption though, it's nothing that a soldering iron and heat-shrink tubing cannot accomplish. Besides, he's got the wiring harness outside the car, with him, so extending it should be easier once it's known which socket goes where and how much it has to be extended by. The wires can be routed from inside the fenders on both sides depending on the locations of various sensors and equipment.