Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th July 2010, 13:34   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Always a special moment, eh . Congrats.

I may have missed it, but who / which garage is working on the car? The engine bay looks very clean...nearly OEM like.

Always a good idea. Best to take it one step at a time.

Once she has run in, you must get her dyno'ed. And again, after each modification to know just how much what has helped.
Thanks GTO

The car is being worked on in Pune in my friend's garage.Its name is Tune Up Plus run by Abhijit, a fellow BHPian.

We plan to do one thing at a time. Tackle one thing at a time so that we are pretty sure that its working fine, becomes much easier in the future to troubleshoot. The idea is to do it once but do it right.

I so wish I could Dyno her after each mod but making frequent trips to Mumbai is not always possible but will definitely try to do Dyno runs after major mods if not after every mod.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 15:47   #122
Team-BHP Support

Amey,

Congratulations. The first crank after nearly 3 months of work is always special. I have said this before and saying it again, your research is what has brought you here. Great going. Your car is in the right hands with the right expertise. Keep going.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 17:40   #123
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Will the 1.8L INVEX engine be a direct fit in the engine bay of the 99 Lancer SLXi. I want to retain the original manual tranny. What are the hiccups I shoud account for?

I read almost all the mod posts on lancers here. But couldn't find one where this transplant was done..

Thanks!!

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 08:47   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Will the 1.8L INVEX engine be a direct fit in the engine bay of the 99 Lancer SLXi. I want to retain the original manual tranny. What are the hiccups I shoud account for?

I read almost all the mod posts on lancers here. But couldn't find one where this transplant was done..

Thanks!!

Tassem.
The 1.8 INVEX is nothing but the 4G93 SOHC engine. The 4G94 that I have used is a derivative of the 4G93 and hence both these engines are almost identical.
your current gearbox is a bolt on to this engine so that is taken care of.
You will need to get a new RHS engine mount from the INVEX, the current one wont work. The LHS and both cross member mounts are the same. So basically all you need is just one engine mount.
I am not very sure as to how similar are the looms of both these cars but there are a few differences so there is a chance, you MAY have to change the engine and interior loom,retaining the rear loom.

Anything else ?

Hope this helps you
Old 14th July 2010, 10:39   #125
BHPian

All this happening just 4 kms away from my house Had i started working in "tune up" as per planned i would have gone through this project completely.

Anyways wishing you all the very best amey
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
All this happening just 4 kms away from my house Had i started working in "tune up" as per planned i would have gone through this project completely.

Anyways wishing you all the very best amey

Thanks Neil for your kind wishes

Started working in Tune up Plus ??
Old 14th July 2010, 12:50   #127
BHPian

Amey,

Congratulations! The first crank must have been a seriously emotional moment For me, even after a minor mod like adding a new air filter, the cranking is something that gives me goosebumps!

All the best for the upcoming mods!
Regards,
Amit.
king_julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 17:36   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
The 1.8 INVEX is nothing but the 4G93 SOHC engine. The 4G94 that I have used is a derivative of the 4G93 and hence both these engines are almost identical.
your current gearbox is a bolt on to this engine so that is taken care of.
You will need to get a new RHS engine mount from the INVEX, the current one wont work. The LHS and both cross member mounts are the same. So basically all you need is just one engine mount.
I am not very sure as to how similar are the looms of both these cars but there are a few differences so there is a chance, you MAY have to change the engine and interior loom,retaining the rear loom.

Anything else ?

Hope this helps you
Hi Amey! Thanks for the quick reply.

Are the wire looms available in India? Or will I have to get them online, assuming there will be a mismatch..

Do you think its a good idea to go for the 1.8? Or should I wait till I get my mitts on a cedia mill like you did?

Thanks in Advance!

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 17:38   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Started working in Tune up Plus ??
Not yet,had even talked to Mr lonkar twice but i just kept pushing it forward for no reason. And now when i had all the time in the world unfortunately underwent a eye surgery few weeks back. Have been told not to lift weights or do strength needing activities for 3 months.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 00:02   #130
BHPian

Having been involved in this project (purely as a spectator) right from the planning stages, I have an almost proprietary feeling about this car.

I can't agree with Moralfibre more when he says that it's Amey's research and passion that has made this a reality. Abhijit's role as a tuner was never in doubt and the amount of dedicated work put in by all the workers at his garage is simply unbelievable. It's like everyone there has taken this up as a personal challenge.

For me, this was never a matter of "if" this project will succeed, simply a matter of "when". Witnessing the engine crank for the first time was just an affirmation of faith in both Amey and Abhijit. It was a special moment indeed. I guess this just goes to prove the amount of time, money and heartache that can be saved when you are so personally involved in your own dream project, instead of simply handing over the reins to some hot shot self professed tuner. Slightly OT but 2 other individuals that immediately come to mind, who share this passion for involvement and DIY, are Gogi and Pranav.

Congrats dear friend. I think the engine roar was pretty much overshadowed by your grin :P Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 00:48   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Amey, am really happy to know that the first crank after months of hard research & Labor went well.

I agree with Kiran & Vikram, the amount of research this chap has done is crazy.

Hope to get a ride in the mean machine when I visit Pune
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 09:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hi Amey! Thanks for the quick reply.

Are the wire looms available in India? Or will I have to get them online, assuming there will be a mismatch..

Do you think its a good idea to go for the 1.8? Or should I wait till I get my mitts on a cedia mill like you did?

Thanks in Advance!

Tassem.
The wiring loom is different in a 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0(the cedia heart). If you are looking for an engine from the classifieds, i too saw the add. and for that price if is gives you the wiring loom and ECU nothing like it. but the 1.8 is a guzzler, especially with the auto tranny and the low end sucks. This will improve with the manual tranny and a FFE with low and mid end improved. I sincerely feel there is no point in swapping the engine unless it churns out some serious power or you current engine needs a rebuild. as a mater of fact with used engines its better to rebuild, you never know what surprises wait for you.

@ Amey, i feel you might need a radiator after all those mods.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 09:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Having been involved in this project (purely as a spectator) right from the planning stages, I have an almost proprietary feeling about this car.

I can't agree with Moralfibre more when he says that it's Amey's research and passion that has made this a reality. Abhijit's role as a tuner was never in doubt and the amount of dedicated work put in by all the workers at his garage is simply unbelievable. It's like everyone there has taken this up as a personal challenge.

For me, this was never a matter of "if" this project will succeed, simply a matter of "when". Witnessing the engine crank for the first time was just an affirmation of faith in both Amey and Abhijit. It was a special moment indeed. I guess this just goes to prove the amount of time, money and heartache that can be saved when you are so personally involved in your own dream project, instead of simply handing over the reins to some hot shot self professed tuner. Slightly OT but 2 other individuals that immediately come to mind, who share this passion for involvement and DIY, are Gogi and Pranav.

Congrats dear friend. I think the engine roar was pretty much overshadowed by your grin :P Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats Amey, am really happy to know that the first crank after months of hard research & Labor went well.

I agree with Kiran & Vikram, the amount of research this chap has done is crazy.

Hope to get a ride in the mean machine when I visit Pune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The wiring loom is different in a 1.5, 1.8 and 2.0(the cedia heart). If you are looking for an engine from the classifieds, i too saw the add. and for that price if is gives you the wiring loom and ECU nothing like it. but the 1.8 is a guzzler, especially with the auto tranny and the low end sucks. This will improve with the manual tranny and a FFE with low and mid end improved. I sincerely feel there is no point in swapping the engine unless it churns out some serious power or you current engine needs a rebuild. as a mater of fact with used engines its better to rebuild, you never know what surprises wait for you.

@ Amey, i feel you might need a radiator after all those mods.

Pramod
Thanks for the kind words Vikram and Kedar

@ Pramod,
I already have a radiator
Old 15th July 2010, 09:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

@ Pramod,
I already have a radiator
oops, i ment a bigger one.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 09:53   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
oops, i ment a bigger one.

Pramod
I am using the old one, the petrol lancer and cedia have a thinner radiator,so I think this will work pretty well.