Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th March 2010, 14:08   #1
BHPian

Default Revamping / Repairing my 2006 Honda City

Howdy fellas.

So here's the deal. We bought a Honda City ZX in 2006 September. The car's solid as a rock, engine wise, but the body is kind of, ummm, check it out for yourself.

The car has done about 70,000 kilometers. Dont blame me for this state, I wasnt in the country for 4 years! Tsssk: I know how serious Team-bhpians are when it come to car state and driving. Basically this is car my sister used for college, and this was the machine where she learnt driving and did her driving 'haath ki safaai'. So you can imagine.

The compressor and the condenser have to be replaced. They cant be repaired.

My dad's planning to sell it, but I seriously disagree, since I find this engine very solid. We also have the ANHC iVTEC, which I'm sorry to say, I'm not a fan of. The down shift, low gear and bumper to bumper performance, in my personal opinion, is miserable. Let alone the interior build quality, which is a joke in itself.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 14:19   #2
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the 'BEFORE' state. Note: These pictures were taken from my phone camera, which is strictly mediocre, and the car was parked in 'not so photo taking worthy' position, so please excuse.

The bumpers, windows, handles have already been taken off. Its good in way, it'll spare you all from viewing its state of misery.

BTW: I'm terribly sorry for not resizing the first few pics. Please bear with this. The later ones are resized. Thank you.

Here you can notice the misery the left profile is in. Notice how the front door is banged up. Same goes for the rear door.

Revamping / Repairing my 2006 Honda City-136679.jpg

This is the right profile of the car. Notice how the rear door is 'cut through' nicely. Resembles a chainsaw job gone terribly wrong. It extends to the front door. Also, the right side view mirror is missing. The stell rim on the front right wheel is broken too.

The rear tyres dont have any rims. Plus the mud flaps are also missing.
Hope this is giving you a clear picture of the sorry state the car is in.

Revamping / Repairing my 2006 Honda City-136680.jpg

A look at the right rear door closely.

Revamping / Repairing my 2006 Honda City-136681.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 09:11.
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2010, 14:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

70K kms / 4 years is nothing for a honda motor, so please don't sell it because its old.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Now coming to the bumpers. Like I mentioned before, I'm sparing you a lot since the bumpers have already been taken off. This might give you an idea on what state they were in.

Notice the tape here at the bumper-body joint. The bumper was in such a bad state it had to taped, else it came off. The entire bumper grill is damaged and needs to be replaced. Can you visualize the state? How do you feel?

Name:  291et6w.jpg
Views: 8578
Size:  35.1 KB

This is front part of the bonnet. Notice how the metal has been 'over extravagently' signed on.

Name:  136685.jpg
Views: 8627
Size:  29.1 KB

The front profile of the car. Notice how the front bumper grill is in a sorry state. Replacement! The left head light is broken too.

Name:  136686.jpg
Views: 10116
Size:  55.7 KB

Here's the car from inside. Inside its pretty good. We clean it regurlarly, but last summer season, since the A/c was not working, the windows were usually rolled down, which has lead to dirt accumulating on the corners and the fabric. Will get it drycleaned.

Name:  136687.jpg
Views: 8818
Size:  47.7 KB

This is the front right tyre. Wanted you opinion on whether I should change the tyres. Also notice how the steel rim has been badly scratched.

Name:  136688.jpg
Views: 8461
Size:  44.0 KB

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 09:15. Reason: Reuploading pics
Old 4th March 2010, 14:37   #5
BHPian

So now here's the dilemma.

The car is NOT insured. We have to cover all the repair costs ourselves.
This is the estimate the workshop guy (Noida Sector 2) has given me:

Denting and Painting: Rs.29,000 @ Rs.2,400/- per part. A car has 14 exterior parts. He is going to do 13, excluding the roof.

Air Conditioner: Compressor: Rs. 14,500/-
Condenser: Rs. 6, 500/-
Dry Bottle + Gas + Labout + Expansion valve: Rs. 3,500/-

Broken Parts:
Bumper Set: Rs. 7,000/-
Tail light: ?? (Please suggest)
View Mirror: Rs. 2,800/-
Bumper Grill: ??
Fender Lining: Rs. 1,000/- each
Head Light L&R: ??
Tail Light R: ??
Mud Flaps: Rs.600 - 1000 each approx

The total estimate comes out to Rs. 70,000/- approx.

Note: The car engine is NEAR PERFECT. We're all good drivers! When the work shop guy took it for a spin, he said it's as if the car is fresh out of the showroom. And I agree. That's why I dont wanna sell it.

Also wanted to add:

If incase the tyres are unusable and need replacement, I'm thinking of shifting my ANHC stock tyres and steel rims to this car, and then upgrading my obviously undersized ANHC types to something like a 195 mm width, plus I'l get new alloys. What say?

What's your opinion?
1. About the state of the car?
2. Sell or not to sell?
3. The estimate?
4. Any recommendations of a decent workshop?
5. Your own personal 'no borders' opinion.
6. Opinion on tyre transfer from ANHC to this baby?

Cheers

Last edited by nutcracker : 4th March 2010 at 14:50.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
70K kms / 4 years is nothing for a honda motor, so please don't sell it because its old.
Exactly! Well I think I've convinced my dad not to sell it. But he's still weary on spending Rs. 70-80k on repairs.
Old 4th March 2010, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
So now here's the dilemma.

The car is NOT insured. We have to cover all the repair costs ourselves.
This is the estimate the workshop guy (Noida Sector 2) has given me:

Denting and Painting: Rs.29,000 @ Rs.2,400/- per part. A car has 14 exterior parts. He is going to do 13, excluding the roof.

Air Conditioner: Compressor: Rs. 14,500/-
Condenser: Rs. 6, 500/-
Dry Bottle + Gas + Labout + Expansion valve: Rs. 3,500/-

Broken Parts:
Bumper Set: Rs. 7,000/-
Tail light: ?? (Please suggest)
View Mirror: Rs. 2,800/-
Bumper Grill: ??
Fender Lining: Rs. 1,000/- each
Head Light L&R: ??
Tail Light R: ??
Mud Flaps: Rs.600 - 1000 each approx

The total estimate comes out to Rs. 70,000/- approx.

Note: The car engine is NEAR PERFECT. We're all good drivers! When the work shop guy took it for a spin, he said it's as if the car is fresh out of the showroom. And I agree. That's why I dont wanna sell it.

Also wanted to add:

If incase the tyres are unusable and need replacement, I'm thinking of shifting my ANHC stock tyres and steel rims to this car, and then upgrading my obviously undersized ANHC types to something like a 195 mm width, plus I'l get new alloys. What say?

What's your opinion?
1. About the state of the car?
2. Sell or not to sell?
3. The estimate?
4. Any recommendations of a decent workshop?
5. Your own personal 'no borders' opinion.
6. Opinion on tyre transfer from ANHC to this baby?

Cheers

The current going price for a decent city of similar vintage in Delhi is 4lac +. However with this state you would not get more than 3 lacs for it. I would advise to do it up, if budget is the constraint, you can go to kashmeri gate and get all the stuff yourself and just get it painted there.

One thing about painting, if its not done properly it will look even more horrible, so ask him to show some of his works. Old but good bumpers can be brought from jama masjid, will cost you half of what is quoted, you can also get fendor lining and mudflaps from them.

If you dont mind old Headlights and taillights, you would get this cheap in jamamasjid, but you have to be very careful as people usually sell repaired ones there. Or alternativly you can get lower priced(not oem, may be depo of lumax) stuff from kashmiri gate. For the ac unit your best bet should be maya puri, they dismantle cars there you can exchange your old stuff their as well.

I was in a similar delima when i was thinking of re doing my lancer, honestly you would never find a replacement for this car at this budget. buying a new car would cost you easily 10 lac plus with all these options in it. And fixing it would cost you less than 50 k if done the way i suggested.

Their are only 2 ways of doing it.

1. You get a no non sense job done by the A S S, where you will have to pay huge amounts.

2. Runaround and get all genuine stuff at half the price and get the work done outside.

The choice is yours.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th March 2010 at 15:19.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

@nutcracker,
The car is in pathetic shape, except for the engine.

Rightly said pramod, have to agree what he has said.

Instead of selling it for peanut price , I would suggest you to get the car refurbished.
The price quoted seems to be reasonable(you say workshop guy ... is this workshop a Honda WS ??) if it's quoted by Honda.
Add 10K as insurance....
Add another 5K for a Good service. 70k kms is almost 1/4 life of a Honda engine, So nothing to worry.
85K Rs spent , and the car will be as good as new.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:34   #9
BHPian

@Pramod That was a very helpful post. I will take a trip to Jama Masjid and buy the necessary parts.

Also, what is your opinion on paints? The car is being done by an authorized Maruti Suzuki service station, and he does a good job. Should I get my own paints too to save costs? Or should I let him do the whole job himself?

@Sushrutha I will get the insurance as soon as the car is repaired. I really despise driving without insurace, say incase something happens to someones life. Its a big risk. We get the car serviced at regular intervals, thus the near perfect engine. The workshop is a Maruti suzuki Auth workshop.

Last edited by nutcracker : 4th March 2010 at 15:36.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:06   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

70,000 clicks on the odo and you are planning to sell her? The Hondas are legendary when it comes to their reliability. Get her fixed and enjoy many more years of trouble free motoring.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 16:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Pramod That was a very helpful post. I will take a trip to Jama Masjid and buy the necessary parts.

Also, what is your opinion on paints? The car is being done by an authorized Maruti Suzuki service station, and he does a good job. Should I get my own paints too to save costs? Or should I let him do the whole job himself?
Getting your paint is not a bad option, i will tell you my example. I was getting my lancer painted, i finally paid 30 for the complete paint service and oil change. While i was enquiring i got a real funny quote from one guy, he asked 3k as labour and rest the stuff would be mine. I took the list to a paint shop and the amount of paint was reasonable but all other stuff was highly inflated, he asked 5 lts of thinner. The paint shop guy said its good for 3 cars. And the total meterial cost was 22k, add another 3 k to it, its 25k. If anything goes wrong he can now blame the meterial.

Crack a fool proof deal with him. Tell him boss this car is for keeps, and i want a top quality showroom fininsh in dupont or standox, ask him if he can pull it off, zero paint damage, zero body shakes(painting term) and proper shiny and gleamy finish. If he can ask him how much again, If he quotes like 30k tell him if any part needs rework you will not hesitate to get it done. Then if he says yes, now try bargaining but dont low ball.

After the price is fixed ask him the dead line and tell him that you would come to inspect work every now and then. Dont pressurize him to meet the dead line but be nice to him once the work starts.

In my experience when i did all this my car was paineted awesome. I have very tiny paint damage in 2 places and the guy is behind my life to get the car back for a re job. Lst week i had a broken OVRM, a wiper link replacement, a broken end can and a complete body wash, he did all that for 500 bucks. He spent close to 6 hours on my car alone and mine was done on priority. I hope you got the message, its always good to maintain a long term relationship.

Pramod
Old 4th March 2010, 16:18   #12
BHPian

@Pramod True at that. He does a good job no doubt. He's close to my office too, so I will inspect occasionally. The only thing is, people say he over charges, which is what has left me worrying.
Although Pramod my budget is pretty low. The total painting and denting is 30,000/- which I think is way over. I'll try cutting costs by spending a day at Jama Masjid. Any advice on where I can buy the paints? How much quantity in litres of paint is required? Thinner? Primer? etc. (need to paint everything except the roof).

Also, say I wanna change the colour of the car (which is silver at the moment) will it affect the resale?
Old 4th March 2010, 16:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Pramod True at that. He does a good job no doubt. He's close to my office too, so I will inspect occasionally. The only thing is, people say he over charges, which is what has left me worrying.
Although Pramod my budget is pretty low. The total painting and denting is 30,000/- which I think is way over. I'll try cutting costs by spending a day at Jama Masjid. Any advice on where I can buy the paints? How much quantity in litres of paint is required? Thinner? Primer? etc. (need to paint everything except the roof).

Also, say I wanna change the colour of the car (which is silver at the moment) will it affect the resale?

I would advise you not to buy paint your self, let them do it. If there is a proble after words they will not take ownership. Jama masjid is a good place to go hunt for stuff, take the metro dont drive as parking is a nightmare there. go to kashmiri gate first with the list of things you need.

Take a quote and inspect the quality of stuff from their, then go to jama masjid and start your hunt.

I will give you a small example, there is a popular misconception that things in the junkyard will be very cheap. I lost a small cover for my power window switch for my rear right door, this happened during painting. Now i went to most of the mitsu A S S and its not available. finally a local parts guy got it for 700(both left front and back) but the wrong side, so on one of my trips to the local junkyard i happen to ask a guy for this part and he had it, so when i asked for the price he was like 1k for a old and broken piece. Same goes with the wiper link as well, they asked 3k for it which i got for 1k from A S S.

So find out the price and go prepared and tell them the price.

Pramod
Old 4th March 2010, 16:54   #14
BHPian

@Pramod So wait you're saying I should find out the price first from Kashmiri Gate, and then buy the goods from Jama Masjid? Why do? Whats the difference?
Old 4th March 2010, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Pramod So wait you're saying I should find out the price first from Kashmiri Gate, and then buy the goods from Jama Masjid? Why do? Whats the difference?
Most of the people who go to jamamasjid, dont know the prices of cheaper alternatives. They go with the perception that things would be cheaper there, and yes they are. I am not sure what are the OEM suppliers of head lights for honda, i believe its Stanley, a stanley side indecator for lancer would be 3k, and similar quality deepo would be 300 Rs, there are indecators available for 150 Rs as well but the quality is bad. So my point is if you go to jama masjid and get a good stanley indecator for 500 Rs its a good deal, but if you get a deepo indecator for that price its a bad deal as the old one is more costlier than a new one.

Pramod