Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd September 2011, 09:28   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Building a truck camper : Home away from home

Eagerly waiting on this space to see the Home Sweet Home. Sir, those are lovely Dane pups. How do you handle them when out on trips. I have one too
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:02   #137
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
How do you handle them when out on trips. I have one too
Now they are full grown, male is 55 kgs and a huge fellow ! I've had a fence put up within the compound so that they both have access to a large yard behind and can still come up to the front and keep watch over the driveway. So when I travel all my parents need to do is slip food under the fence as they are too big to handle, least of all by elderly people

Its a bit like managing tigers in a zoo opening and closing gates to move them about
How old is your dane and how do you manage in Bombay?

Last edited by DKG : 3rd September 2011 at 10:05.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 22:36   #138

Take a look @ Overlanders
GR8guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 23:31   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Am planning on finishing the interiors soon. Will post pictures once its done. I wish I had more time over weekends !
We are waiting for the pics.

I need all I can to get my wife interested in the https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...-xenon-xt.html
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:54   #140
Team-BHP Support

Thought this was really a well done modification!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 18:40   #141

Hi all, this is my first post on team BHP so it'll always be special! I'm an avid traveler. Hats of to all the people here who get into such minute details. Would love to learn & also contribute to this amazing subject of caravans, campers, camper trailers & campervans. I have read extensively about all them & every one has its own pros & cons. Touching an old thread here as I noticed that it suddenly ended. We never got to see the finished product from DKG. Would love to see it. Sir, if you executed the project, please post the pictures.

To all the members who recommended tempo traveller. There are 2 major drawbacks:
1. It can't be used as a regular vehicle so it'll sit wasted most time of the year.
2. As it'll be self driven (unless your are millionaire), it'll be difficult to drive owing to its height.

My aim is to make a relatively low roof campervan (Eg: tata winger or tata xenon), which is easily drivable & serve as a regular vehicle, can be parked at regular parking lots but also has a pop up roof so that it provides headroom when you're camping plus a bathroom & shower unit & later again can be folded to decrease its center of gravity while on the move to aid fuel efficiency & control. Such a vehicle would be practical, low cost of ownership, could be used even in daily life, fuel economy would be good & provide more luxury than campervans. The biggest challenge is the shower unit because in order to have a shower, you need to stand & for that headroom space needs to be made but if you make the headroom space the center of gravity is affected while on the move. Wish someone could sponsor me. There is no such vehicle which exists in the world but then VW doubleback concept also didn't exist till 2012! It is possible! I'm working on the design & almost cracked it. It's all the more challenging for us because so much of equipment isn't even available here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thought this was really a well done modification!

cya
R
Hi Rehaan, it's an amazing design but there is a shortcoming to this design. Did you notice it? Well, it doesn't have a dedicated toilet & shower unit. For shower one needs to stand & the only place where you can stand is the lounge, that too when someone isn't sleeping in the penthouse roof.
sam_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote