Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th May 2010, 21:48   #1
CDM
BHPian

Default Skid Plate for Innova

Hi all!

Am planning a trip to Kinnaur, Spiti, Lahaul and Leh in June, in an Innova. I have heard from people who have made the trip to Leh that the Innova can get hit on the underbody due to its low ground clearance.

Wanted to know if anybody, particularly in the NCR region, has had a skid plate installed in an Innova and if so, from where, cost involved etc. Any other suggestions / advice is also welcome.

Thanks,

CDM
CDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 14:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While other Innova owners get here, here's related threads that you could derive a lot of information from:

Skid plates for Grand Vitara (Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates)

Skid plates for my Jeep (Skid Plate for my Jeep)

From up north, Lordofgondor posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey fellows, I am in the same situation. Need to get skid plates installed in my Esteem ASAP. Any help/information would be highly appreciated. The quotes I've received from Performance Auto, Noida are:
1. Sump Guard - 11K (Aluminium)
2. Fuel tank guard - 3K
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:00   #3
CDM
BHPian

Thanks GTO,

Have been through those threads and noted the technical and practical aspects mentioned. Now need someone to advise specifically on the Innova and carry out the job.

Have spoken to Mr. Raj Kapoor (Performance Auto, Noida) over the phone. He said that an aluminium skid plate should be in the range 9-10K. I am meeting him tomorrow and will post the outcome of the meeting.

CDM
Old 17th May 2010, 10:40   #4
CDM
BHPian

Come on guys! No replies, other than GTO's, till date?

Anyway, I met Mr. Kapoor from Performance Auto, Noida, over the weekend. He recomended an aluminium skid plate for the engine sump (Rs. 11 k) and a steel reinforced fibreglass one for the fuel tank (Rs. 4 k). Apparently, the fuel tank skid plate will be fused onto the tank.

I am still undecided whether to go in for the same as the cost will make me overrun my budget for the time being. (I appears I will also have to change my tyres, which have already done 52k KMs and may not be able to make the trip.

Could other Innova owners who have made this trip let me know if they faced any ground clearance issues?

Thanks.

CDM
Old 17th May 2010, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not as an Innova owner but somone who has done the routes extensively I would say if you drive carefully you wont require the skid plates. Most of the terrain is tarmacked expect portions around say KunzumLa which ahve a rocky gravel surface but nothing that a lightly driven Innova cannot take. Invest in tyres as they mean a lot when it comes to road grip in challenging road conditions. Educate me is Innova even lower than a Santro? If not, then go ahead and dont worry about the skid plates.

Leh is a go at most places except a few rivulets crossings where a foot recce before crossing would do wonders.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 17th May 2010 at 13:21.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 15:51   #6
CDM
BHPian

Thanks wanderernomad,

You advice on the road conditions is quite useful. I don't think the Innova is lower than the Santro (will need to confirm the actual GC). So I guess i will go ahead without the skid plate and use the money towards new tyres.

Thanks.

CDM